ESPN Cashes In!

525k subs @ $5 month == $2,625,000

If you multiply that by 12, you get 31.5 million/year

That assumes 100% of these folks keep their subs (I've already cancelled my trial because the experience was horrible)

ESPN is paying 300 million/year for this rights deal.

They are losing their pants, its a long play. I can't figure how the numbers work long term but it seems they are trying to buy their way into a future in the age of cord cutting.

My experience was horrible too. It's disappointing to say that Fightpass gave me less trouble than ESPN plus did. They weren't ready to launch. There were plenty of people on Sherdog looking for streams because they couldn't get the app to work.

525k subs @ $5 month == $2,625,000

If you multiply that by 12, you get 31.5 million/year

That assumes 100% of these folks keep their subs (I've already cancelled my trial because the experience was horrible)

ESPN is paying 300 million/year for this rights deal.

They are losing their pants, its a long play. I can't figure how the numbers work long term but it seems they are trying to buy their way into a future in the age of cord cutting.
Ad revenue, rights to cards on the ESPN channel (more ad revenue) also play into this. Plus, gaining subscribers to ESPN+ means potentially more ad revenue for everything they air on that platform. No guarantee this is a slam dunk for ESPN, but there's more to it than subscription fees.

I cancelled mine. Plenty of lag, pixilation and artifacts. Meanwhile the pirate stream ran like a champ. Switched over just in time to see Hardy shit the bed.

Clearly a problem with you or your equipment. Where do you think the pirated streams come from??? The exact same place you're claiming pixilation. I watched on xbox one, no issues.

ESPN+ grabs 525,000 new subscriptions for the weekend of UFC Brooklyn.

At $4.99 per member, they grabbed $2.6 Million.

I'm not sure if they are getting 100% of that figure, but not bad for their debut.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/1/...ZIg1MIKEX_m-awSqDiNee-xvvzbH1ErE2YP4mbCE3dDS0

1096758630.jpg.0.jpg

they get 0, all that goes to ESPN, but ESPN is paying them a boatload for this shit, so they're good either way.

Clearly a problem with you or your equipment. Where do you think the pirated streams come from??? The exact same place you're claiming pixilation. I watched on xbox one, no issues.

i have a fiber optic line here, I watched everything until maybe the 3rd or 4th fight (think the Gregor fight, maybe it was the one before it) where mine glitched for about 2-3 minutes and then I was back to it working perfectly.

Odd thing was, while my UFC stream on the app wasn't working correctly, my feeds to the Aussie Open tennis match's were working fine. So I guess it was just a bandwidth issue. I'm sure they'll do better next time around.

ESPN and the UFC will continue to sell the streaming service so I expect the number to rise throughout the year. In fact, ESPN executives are more than likely anticipating larger new subscriber numbers when McGregor, Khabib, Jones and Cyborg/Nunes fight on PPVs (customers can purchase the PPV via ESPN+).

Pay us!

Pay us again!

Nope. Nope nope nope. Fuck yourselves.

For one thing they are owned by AT&T, who has very big pockets and is making a big push into online streaming.

For another, $5/month, you still get commercials..

giphy.gif

They are 80% owned by Disney and 20% owned by Hearst Communications...

ESPN+ grabs 525,000 new subscriptions for the weekend of UFC Brooklyn.

At $4.99 per member, they grabbed $2.6 Million.

I'm not sure if they are getting 100% of that figure, but not bad for their debut.

1096758630.jpg.0.jpg

A few things
1. They get about $3.75 per sub after processing, streaming, platform cost
2. We have no idea how many stay after the free trial
3. ESPN is paying an average of $12.5m per month to UFC for ESPN+. So with your "cashing in" math, they only lost about $10m lol

Commercials for OTT are extremely low so they won't make up as much as you think in the bottom line.

ESPN knew they would lose money on this deal. It is called a 'loss-leader'.

Some guy could not cancel so I have a feeling all those guys who are saying they cancelled right away are stuck in for the long haul.

Dana and ESPN owns you

This was the easiest free trial cancel I ever tried

I actually subscribed myself to the free trial before the fight with the intention of cancelling after.

Then for some weird reason, I could NOT log in via my xbox. Every time I tried to log in, it gave me a code to use on the website, and then it would immediately go to an error message. I ultimately ended up just using an illegal stream.

But then I tried today and I was able to log in. Something went wrong with the amount of traffic.

A few things
1. They get about $3.75 per sub after processing, streaming, platform cost
2. We have no idea how many stay after the free trial
3. ESPN is paying an average of $12.5m per month to UFC for ESPN+. So with your "cashing in" math, they only lost about $10m lol

Commercials for OTT are extremely low so they won't make up as much as you think in the bottom line.

ESPN knew they would lose money on this deal. It is called a 'loss-leader'.

Maybe, but see my post at top of page 2

Maybe, but see my post at top of page 2

I did
Anything you added I already knew

ESPN over-paid like DAZN did with Bellator.
They are loss-leaders because the OTT market is very competitive

What will help ESPN+ is they will certainly go up to a higher price once they are settled

Here are some additional numbers ...

UFC Fight Pass had a steady 400-450k average per month in subscribers.
That was worldwide
So worldwide they made $30-35m per year & that is with other orgs & the UFC catalogue.

ESPN+ is stateside only

The most WWE have had was about 1.2m paid in US & they have their PPV content on there, plus an amazing amount of catalogue.

It is a long way to go for OTT

You absolutely can cancel cause I already did it
He was prolly just too stupid to navigate to the cancellation page

I cancelled too. What scares me is there was no confirmation number to confirm the cancellation.

I did

What will help ESPN+ is they will certainly go up to a higher price once they are settled

That was worldwide
So worldwide they made $30-35m per year & that is with other orgs & the UFC catalogue.

ESPN+ is stateside only

The most WWE have had was about 1.2m paid in US & they have their PPV content on there, plus an amazing amount of catalogue.

Yea the people in the US get to subscriber for $50 a year while the rest of the world gets to watch on broadcast TV. WTF.

I cancelled too. What scares me is there was no confirmation number to confirm the cancellation.

I got an email confirmation

Your subscription has been canceled. You will continue to have access to your subscription until the end of your current billing period.

I actually subscribed myself to the free trial before the fight with the intention of cancelling after.

Then for some weird reason, I could NOT log in via my xbox. Every time I tried to log in, it gave me a code to use on the website, and then it would immediately go to an error message. I ultimately ended up just using an illegal stream.

But then I tried today and I was able to log in. Something went wrong with the amount of traffic.
Maybe you should wise up and get a PS4....noob

I did

That was worldwide

ESPN+ is stateside only

I think you're overlooking the point.

It took ESPN+ nine months to grab 1million subscriptions.

They added 50% of that in a matter of days.

Whether a portion of UFC/MMA fans cancelled after the trial is moot, because you would have to impose the same logic for the first 1 million buyers.

Did absolutely nobody cancel from April 2018 through Jan 2019? Likely not.

I think it's a testament to the popularity of MMA, and one may argue the card was not super stacked (not my words, just a comparison to several PPV line-ups).

Back