ESPN Cashes In!

Lukn4trbl

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
ESPN+ grabs 525,000 new subscriptions for the weekend of UFC Brooklyn.

At $4.99 per member, they grabbed $2.6 Million.

I'm not sure if they are getting 100% of that figure, but not bad for their debut.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/1/...ZIg1MIKEX_m-awSqDiNee-xvvzbH1ErE2YP4mbCE3dDS0

1096758630.jpg.0.jpg

Jeez it looks like you can stop the internet.
still gonna stream that shit tho

But does that account for how many of those sign ups were on the trial basis and will be canceled?

I think we gotta wait and see how many people signed up for the free trial only.

I called this on fight night. The ufc could save ESPN.

I do think that many of those will be canceled before the week is up though.

That’s also per month that’s not just a one time cash grab

News Alert for Monday January 21, 2019:

"ESPN LOSES 505,000 ESPN+ Subscriptions in one day!"

525k subs @ $5 month == $2,625,000

If you multiply that by 12, you get 31.5 million/year

That assumes 100% of these folks keep their subs (I've already cancelled my trial because the experience was horrible)

ESPN is paying 300 million/year for this rights deal.

They are losing their pants, its a long play. I can't figure how the numbers work long term but it seems they are trying to buy their way into a future in the age of cord cutting.

Yeah but we fight pass subscribers got effed. We usually get the prelims and such
If this continues fight pass people might cancel.

But does that account for how many of those sign ups were on the trial basis and will be canceled?

It's impossible to know that number right now.

I highly doubt they'll see that many abandon the platform. The UFC schedule is pretty busy and if you signed up for the UFC I see no reason why you'd cancel. Not too mention 4.99 is a pretty cheap even for a sherdogger.

Yeah but we fight pass subscribers got effed. We usually get the prelims and such
If this continues fight pass people might cancel.
Fight pass offers like a dozen other live mma promotions. It’s a must keep imo cause I like watching CES, Pancrase invicta island fights, titan fc etc

UFC on ESPN 1 Francis vs Cain will also do really good

ESPN is heavily invested with UFC

And everybody wins imo

(Maybe not Reebok when the deal expires)

It's impossible to know that number right now.

I highly doubt they'll see that many abandon the platform. The UFC schedule is pretty busy and if you signed up for the UFC I see no reason why you'd cancel. Not too mention 4.99 is a pretty cheap even for a sherdogger.
The point is that the numbers in this context may be deceiving. They allowed people to sign up and then back out without paying. It is a small sample size, but I saw a lot of people on here say that is what they intended to do.

525k subs @ $5 month == $2,625,000

If you multiply that by 12, you get 31.5 million/year

That assumes 100% of these folks keep their subs (I've already cancelled my trial because the experience was horrible)

ESPN is paying 300 million/year for this rights deal.

They are losing their pants, its a long play. I can't figure how the numbers work long term but it seems they are trying to buy their way into a future in the age of cord cutting.

Remember in the streaming playing field it isn't about each streaming deal self supporting itself. It's about all your content coming together and supporting the streaming service as whole long term.

Look at Amzaon with the Grand Tour paying 250 million or something like that. They know they aren't going to gain that amount in new subscribers to pay that. But if its another reason to attract 125,000 new subscribers it will help the overall cause long term.

2.6 million is chump change for espn

Back