Esparza Will Defend Her Title On UFC 185 Against Jedzrejczyk

The unique staredown (stareup?) style of Joanna Jedrzejczyk (here with Claudia Gadleha)

[YT]GwB6-19-f04[/YT]

Carla should win, her style is pure and constant pressure and has more diverse takedowns than Gadelha, Gadelha is strong and grinder, Carla is quicker and more technical in her wrestling.

Joanna has a big punchers chance but I feel her TDD won't be enough for Carla.

I like Joanna more, but Carla has this

Yeah, I don't get why people do that. You see it on Yahoo / CNN / Fox / etc articles anytime it involves a celebrity. Always at least one joker posting "Who ?" as if the article itself didn't say what projects the person is noted for.

Yahoo,CNN,Fox. Jesus christ, do you get your news from anywhere reputable? :redface:

I would be embarrassed dude, she's hardly a celebrity man.

Esparza is a better wrestler than Sexton though. Not by a little bit, either. By a lot.

I've done some (light sparring) wrestling with Rosi for what that's worth (not Carla though of course so can't make a 100% direct comparison :wink: )

Wrestling is exhausting, Carla has gassed pushing it both vs Torres (another striker with good TDD) and in a 5 rounder vs Bec, if Jedrzejczyk can get it to 4 and 5 relatively fresh she might be able to tee off for a win via strikes.

But I hope that doesn't happen :icon_twis

In her day, Rosi`s takedowns/wrestling were actually pretty good. She is also bigger and - presumably - stronger than Carla. But, if we are honest, Jedi KOed Rosi at the end of Rosi`s career. Sexton was clearly not the same fighter in her last 4-5 bouts. So, it`s actually really hard to judge whether she`ll have the same success stuffing Carla`s takedowns. Carla is just so fast and so relentless and so creative; even if Joanna stuffs one or two, Carla will hardly get discouraged, and she try again and again. And eventually, she will get Jedi down. I think it`s not an "if", it`s a "when" question. I`m also still incline to pick Carla in this one, but I think it will be a more competitive fight than Carla vs. Rose. I think it will be an exciting fight.

Jarl

B7bar6rCMAAxTTM.png

Yahoo,CNN,Fox. Jesus christ, do you get your news from anywhere reputable? :redface:

I would be embarrassed dude, she's hardly a celebrity man.

I mostly go there for trashy celebrity "news" :/

Also I'd think on a UFC-focused mma site Esparza counts as someone you could reasonably assume most folks here would be familiar with

I have been hoping to see Carla against real competition since she was defeated by GOAT Megu a while ago. If she can win this, she should rise above JAG in the rankings.

Should be an entertaining fight. Hope Joanna doesn't pull a Gadelha (not saying Claudia was ducking Esparza, but it was a bummer when she couldn't make the fight happen twice, that would have been fun)

I wish they would stop saying it's in Dallas. AT&T Stadium is in Arlington. When Texas Stadium was in Irving it at least made more sense to say "Dallas," since it was very close. Arlington is 40 miles away.

Plus...Texas in March? Better hope for a mild storm season. It would be hilarious if everyone had to make a run for the tornado shelter. No Contest (Tornado Warning).

Am I hoping the Jedi wins?

But I think it's a very tough fight. Esparza is as good as they come in this division. Her performance against Rose was an absolute statement. And for anyone who paid attention to what Rose was doing on the TUF show, the fact that Carla completely sapped her will and then subbed her was absolutely eye opening.

that is a bad ass picture. :D the poland rashguard is pretty sweet, too.

this should prove to be a difficult fight for both fighters. i don't think carla has faced anyone who combines excellent striking with takedown defense better than joanna. i don't think joanna has faced anyone who is as tenacious with takedown attempts as carla is. it will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

i'll be cheering for joanna! :D

Wish they would put this on fight pass instead of on a good main card

Back