Esparza Will Defend Her Title On UFC 185 Against Jedzrejczyk

Joanna is too athletic, too strong. She handled Claudia physically, I think people are under rating that. Carla is going to have a hell of a time consistently getting Joanna down and keeping her there. Joanna will do damage in every exchange and she'll eventually knock Carla out with an uppercut.

Yep. That' the problem with that division. It's too striker heavy. Esparza is going to have her way with with most of them. :(

Yeah, I don't see her losing the belt in the nearest future. That's a bummer, she's ultra boring, even though she tries to finish on the ground.

Namajuna's butt hurt fan.

Are you actually implying that Esparza is exciting and her fights are fun? I'm not saying she's a bad fighter, she's good, can't take that away from her, she's gonna rule the weight class in the foreseeable future. Her fights are boring, though. So try to actually read the post you're replying to.

Namajuna's butt hurt fan.

Come on... you didn't want Namajunas to win too? If not, why? She's way more fun than Esparza. Esparza is just a wrestler without much else. Nothing we haven't seen a million times in Womens' MMA... At least Thug takes some chances.

Her fights are boring, though

Oh, I thought you say she was ULTRA boring.

We all have opinions, for example, I think some of Machida's fights are boring too. I still like Machida, though.

Come on... you didn't want Namajunas to win too? If not, why? She's way more fun than Esparza. Esparza is just a wrestler without much else. Nothing we haven't seen a million times in Womens' MMA... At least Thug takes some chances.

No, I was rooting for Esparza.
What's the point of being flashy but not effective?

We all have opinions, for example, I think some of Machida's fights are boring too. I still like Machida, though.

She's more consistently effective with being flashy than not, just not in her last outing. I do think she could be a bit more precise with her striking though.

Joanna was very lucky to win her last fight.

Carla is going to wreck her. And I really mean it. Just wait and see...

Well, it was pretty effective on everyone BUT Esparza. She did come in 2nd... She's thrown that flying arm bar before and it's worked. She got a first round sub with it on Invicta a while back. It's not just flash without substance. If not for Esparza's superior wrestling, Nanajunas probably would have been TUF. She's not a joke. I think she's more well rounded than Esparza, but unfortunately Esparza has her beat on the wrestling.

Seriously, what excitement do you find in her style? Apart from the joy of her subbing her opponent (that I can understand).

You can't say that. She needed less than a round to sub Randa Markos, who then lost a very close, but rightful split decision to Penne. She went head to head with JoJo, too, before subbing her. In her fight against Chambers she was close to perfect (although, of course, that wasn't a quality opponent).

Joanna was very lucky to win her last fight.

Carla is going to wreck her. And I really mean it. Just wait and see...

Hah, that's cute. Another fan that has no clue what he's watching.

Unless Jedrzejczyk gets subbed, I don't see her losing this. She is very difficult to take down and the second Carla slows, she is going to get lit up. ..so if we're lucky, Calderwood vs Jedi is going to happen soon.

That fight won't be competitive...
Esparza will take it to the ground and keep it there.

Finally some people giving Esparza some credit. Her hobbit-like stature always seems to make her the underdog - despite (arguably) being the #1 ranked SW in the world. On paper, it would seem to be another made-to-order kick-boxer opponent for Carla to take down and beat on. But, there are a few things that could make this fight more exciting and competitive than - say - the fight with Torres.

First, Joanna is bigger, taller, heavier and stronger than most of Carla`s opponents to date; Jedi will be harder to take down. This is, incidentally, where Jojo fans also have hopes of being able to beat Esparza - should that bout ever materialize. Second, think about Jedi`s punch that knocked down Gadelha; Claudia is the queen of weight-cutting SWs and reportedly walks into the cage at over 130 lbs. If Jedi`s punch knocked her down, what would the same punch - or a headkick - do to a much smaller Carla? Jedi does have a puncher/kicker`s chance. A mistake by Carla and she could be put to sleep. (still picking Esparza though)

Jarl

Im not less interested in that card... bummer that Brown and Hendricks don't get the co-main event slot that they deserve.

UFC needs to promote Esparza harder. So when someone on the street asks me who the WSW champ is, I will know.

I look forward to this fight. I enjoyed watching Joanna fight against Gadelha. I haven't seen Esparza fight yet.

Back