escaping headlock from the ground?

T

threnody

today, we learned 4 escape/submissions from a headlock on the ground. basically, just like this EXCEPT both arms are free,.. in this pic one arm is trapped in the legs (sorry, first photo I could find on google):

3a.jpg

each of them required either getting your upper leg over the person's head (which would lead into a sub), or hooking it inside the person's thigh (rolling over to mount, or getting into some sort of shoulder lock).

when we actually live drilled them, i was able to pull them off fairly well on other white belts around my skill, but one of them has been wrestling for a number of years and i just couldn't get him. basically i could keep trynig to get on my side but i could never succeed in getting my legs near him, and eventually he'd quickly flip me into full mount.

i also noticed that when I was the one holding him in the headlock, he'd often wrap his arms around my body instead of framing them in front of my head (like we were taught to do with the 4 moves today to push their head back).

so... what are some options in this case? he's obviously been doing this in wrestling for a while, so what other ways can i get out of this headlock if he's not letting me get my legs near him?

When in this position head lock, on head and arm control in the side mount the key is to relax. I would first use my right hand and push it against the elbow on my head to ensure that it will not be used to post out. Next bridge in towards the person who is holding the head lock, and in one smooth motion bridge out hard pulling him over your body and now your controling the side. If your opponent hangs on still go for the armlock, step over the head and put your knee in his armpit, sit back, knees together....

Yep wrestlers are in this postion from time to time. The most common way to escape is exactly the way u described the wrestler had been getting out.

Try to get your body paralell with his..you might have to follow him a bit cuz as you walk your legs towards him he "should" scoot away, towards your head to keep the distance.

IF you can get parallel then you throw one leg over his wrap both arms around the waist and you can then roll him over.

What it sounds like the wrestler is doing is trapping one arm and that is why he is able to keep you down. If thats the case try to free your trapped arm by pulling it towards your own body. It doesnt have to get all the way free, just a little bit so you can wrap both your arms around him.

Good luck.

That is the Kesa gatame, or scarf hold in BJJ. That picture is actually an armbar being applied and hurts like hell.

Anyways, if the person is smart, they will be controlling that trapped arm. THAT is the key. You need to jackhammer your arm out of there to have an chance of getting out. There are a few escapes from that position.

1) Get your arm free and get to your side. Scoot your legs up to your butt, bridge and pull them over the opposite shoulder they are in. In the picture up top, the person on the bottom would roll them over her right shoulder. It is important that you get them diagonally across. Not straight over your head and not straight to the side. If you don't do it right, you will struggle and possibly strain something/

2) Get your arm free and get to your side. Get to all fours and the person in the picture would move her knees out to her ride side. At this point, you can simply push the person down and get side mount.

The key is to get the arm free. It takes a lot of practice.

If you create enough space, and move your hips out enough, you can also take their back.

When you can't get your arm free from a scarf hold (kesa gatame), encircle his torso with your arms. Ideally, do not make contact with his ribs on the far side (yet). Get as parallel as possible, then squeeze in hard (preferrably at the start of his inhalation) and bridge hard. It's all a matter of timing.

i mentioned at the top that my arm isnt locked up like it is in the picture - both of my arms were free in the drills we were doing. and thanks for the advice so far, but can you describe what you mean by "bridging" to get parallel? i'm not quite familiar with basic terminology yet heh :)

threnody said:
i mentioned at the top that my arm isnt locked up like it is in the picture - both of my arms were free in the drills we were doing. and thanks for the advice so far, but can you describe what you mean by "bridging" to get parallel? i'm not quite familiar with basic terminology yet heh :)

They should be controlling your arm with their arm.

kesa-gatame.jpg

Same principle if no-gi. If your arm is free, you should be able to move around freely.

if they have the overhook you grab around the waist, like the wrestler did, and scoot your hips into his. most people, at this point, want to try to throw/bridge the oponent all the way over, but that talkes a lot of strength. instead you want to act like you are trying to throw him over the top of your head, like you are trying to put his head on the matt above yours. when you feel his hips on yours then bridge high and hard to take him over.

a lot of guys will simply scoot away from you as you try to scoot into them. this is almost better. when they are scooting away from you go to your knees and you are out.

threnody said:

If your opponent isn't controlling your arm (like the picture Bob just showed), then they don't really have much hope of holding you down. Take their back then worry about working your head free.

Getting parallel means getting so the lines formed by your body and their are roughly parallel. While this can be done in two directions, most people typically refer to going parallel with your feet facing the same direction.

Bridging is a process of arching your back and traveling from one shoulder to the other, with your torso turning. The best bridges travel from the point of one shoulder, to the head, to the point of the other shoulder with little or no back contact with the mat.
Here's the basics:
1) To start, turn hard into your opponent so that you come all the way up on one side. (If he's not pushing back into you at this point just continue over to all fours and you'll be out)
2) Plant your near foot on the ground and push from your leg through to your shoulder, arching your back
3) Look up. The back of your head should touch the mat.
4) Point over your opposite shoulder with your "trapped" arm
5) Try to turn yourself hard enough to end face down (don't expect to make it but visualize it anyhow).

If your arms are free or you are in a headlock I don't think that's kesa gatame.

Anyways if they have the headlock and are sitting out -
Hook the inside thigh and drive foward into back mount

If you can't hook the thigh push into them making them push back, use that momentum to roll them over you

If you are in a proper kesa gatame like the one pictured above -

Get one arm under their armpit and grab your own wrist. push into them and again use the momentum

Or, bridge up and free your arm that is being contrlled and hook the leg and drive foward.

I just use those two back and forth until I get one. That is the main key, it's just like the upa and elbow escape, they go hand in hand. if one doesn't work it leaves them wide open for the other one.

And there appears to be another Escape too. In Fedor vs his bro in a Sambo match, Fedor was in a position similar to his[But it definately wasn't the Kesa Gatame]. Basically what Fedor did was to flip himself over. Not sure if it will work here.

I post this as another. One other thing the top guy can to is to use his free arm and pressure you full down on your Throat. The pain n discomfort was so Immediate that I quickly tapped. If he applies it, which he can anything I can do?

Don't panick, it takes a long time to get choked out from a trachea choke. It's also a dick move, when he does that he usually gives away one side of his base so just roll him over.

The pain is sufficient. Just like the slicers, u cant really tough it out. The choke is a bonus

Bama Zulu said:
Don't panick, it takes a long time to get choked out from a trachea choke. It's also a dick move, when he does that he usually gives away one side of his base so just roll him over.

Bad advice. I would tap to that immediately. I wouldn't want to risk getting my trachea collapsed by trying to tough it out.

It takes over a minute for that to happen. If you can't roll the guy over with the obvious lack of base he just created then go ahead and tap to a dick head move.

Back