Erick Silva vs Nate Marquardt at UFC 158?

I vaguely remember DFW saying Marquart would never be allowed in the UFC again.. but we've heard that before.

Nah, I think Erick is too low in the ranking for Nate at this point. Nate will probably retain his title next week and he'll be a champ coming into the UFC while Erick will have lost his last fight.

Marquardt should be 1 win away from a title shot if he can win a top 5 fight at WW. His only UFC losses were all top ranked Middleweights. I think a rematch with Maia might be interesting at welterweight, but if he wants a title shot sooner, he should be given the winner of condit/rory, then the winner could fight GSP after Hendricks. Rory wins both matches somehow, there would be no reason why he shouldn't be fighting GSP. It would be a good time for GSP to vacate the title and move up to MW.

The fight doesn't make sense for Nate and would probably result in another loss for Erick which would make it back to back loses for him which would really derail his hype and would send him back to the Facebook PPV prelims or FUEL and FX main card opening fights.

No. It won't happen for myriad reasons but specifically b/c:

Joe Silva prefers matching up two fighters who are either both coming off wins or both coming off losses. The caveat being unless one of those fighters is ranked extremely high or is an established veteran that can sell tickets. But the former is the most usual scenario. Thus was the reasoning behind Heiron/Silva.

Marquardt is a longtime UFC vet and champ of Strikeforce; fighting an unranked young prospect coming off a loss makes little sense.

If we were going to see Erick against a veteran I would surmise we would get Kampmann or Alves vs. Silva. But I suspect Erick gets a very winnable fight.

Nate...Just fight. You're no champ, never have been. Erik Silva's a tough guy. Fight him. Show us what you got.

I think that Erick Silva would have to beat Hieron convincingly to get a shot at someone like Marquardt. Granted, Marquardt is not exactly proven at WW (he looked impressive against a decent wrestler in Strikeforce, but is yet to be tested against top-tier WW in the UFC). Bring Erick along slowly, maybe give him someone like Rick Story after Hieron.

EDIT: Didn't realize that Erick is injured and Hieron fight is off. Is Hieron getting a replacement opponent? If not, then they should reschedule that fight for 158.

Last edited:
I think that Erick Silva would have to beat Hieron convincingly to get a shot at someone like Marquardt. Granted, Marquardt is not exactly proven at WW (he looked impressive against a decent wrestler in Strikeforce, but is yet to be tested against top-tier WW in the UFC). Bring Erick along slowly, maybe give him someone like Rick Story after Hieron.

EDIT: Didn't realize that Erick is injured and Hieron fight is off. Is Hieron getting a replacement opponent? If not, then they should reschedule that fight for 158.

Hieron is fighting Woodley.

Why do people keep saying Marquardt wants to FIGHT at UFC 158? He said he was looking to fight one of the WINNERS of the big ww 6 at UFC 158.

That's what I took from anything I've read. Not sure there's room on the maincard at 158 for Marquardt any way. I'd tune in to see the guy fight for free on the prelims any day but he still has lots of value on the main card of a PPV.

Back