Epic matchups that didn’t live up to the hype

Aldo v McGregor- I stayed up till the early hours to watch this and could not believe what transpired. I honestly thought this would be an elite stand up fight with Aldo being victorious....

Theres a few fights that come to mind that while technically were not bad performances, they just ended too quickly and robbed us of what could have been.

Has anyone mentioned Griffin/Franklin? I was so pumped for that fight but it ended up being pretty forgettable.

Jds - cain 1
Jds - carwin
Gus - jones 2: people thought it would be competitive.

Rampage vs Rashad was so boring

At least this was sick. Rashad was so good in his prime.

hB7GwXu.gif

If anything, the 3rd round was a 'play-it-safe' round with the only takedown of Chuck's entire career.

He held Wand there a while, because he knew how the judges scored the rounds back in 2008.
Fuck off!

To me the one that comes to mind was Wanderlei vs Ricardo Arona. This was an epic matchup at the time, Wanderlei was in his prime and absolutely dominating his weight class. Arona was a beast with wins over Hendo, Ninja Rua, Mezger, Jeremy Horn, Sakuraba, and most people thought he beat Fedor Emelianenko and was robbed in the decision. He would also go on to crush Alistair Overeem in the first round, the man was a serious force in that division.

I remember when they first met I was as pumped as one can be about a fight. Arona would go on to end Wanderleis streak of dominance at 205, and Wand would avenge the loss with a decision win of his own, but both of their fights kinda disappointed in the sense that there was not much epic or memorable moments. They each won a decision, and the only thing I can remember about either of those fights is Aronas leg kick that knocked Wand down.

6Ny-mAkc8aLD8a_Wqge0FXnLCLjo4IYzVQBCkNk9Ny4.jpg

Any other fights that looked killer on paper but the fight itself was pretty forgettable?
Condit vs Diaz. Condit dominated btw

What the JBG thinks about dissapointing matches...
Cupace20200113124736.png

Hopefully it's going to take a few decades before we get a worst disappointment than Lewis vs Ngannou.

Most of Nick's second UFC run was underwhelming.
nicks 2nd run was absolutely underwhelming. Its weird too. Nick actually gained a ton of popularity while under performing in his 2nd stint. I remember being live at the BJ Penn fight and i was blown away at how many peoplr either didnt know Nick or thought BJ would mop the floor with him. a few shitty fights later and it seemed like he was a star and the same type of dudes picking him to lose to BJ were thinking he could beat GSP. I love the diaz brothers but the fan base is a little delusional at times

Arona vs wandy is like tony vs khabib almost. Else than arona was a lay and pray fighter and khabib is not. It was a boring fight because arona never does much once he gets a guy down. Khabib wont lay and pray thank god. Arona was a beast but just never improved his top game really. I think rampage vs wandy was way more anticipated for me, but it was a great exciting fight.

Back