Epic matchups that didn’t live up to the hype

To me the one that comes to mind was Wanderlei vs Ricardo Arona. This was an epic matchup at the time, Wanderlei was in his prime and absolutely dominating his weight class. Arona was a beast with wins over Hendo, Ninja Rua, Mezger, Jeremy Horn, Sakuraba, and most people thought he beat Fedor Emelianenko and was robbed in the decision. He would also go on to crush Alistair Overeem in the first round, the man was a serious force in that division.

I remember when they first met I was as pumped as one can be about a fight. Arona would go on to end Wanderleis streak of dominance at 205, and Wand would avenge the loss with a decision win of his own, but both of their fights kinda disappointed in the sense that there was not much epic or memorable moments. They each won a decision, and the only thing I can remember about either of those fights is Aronas leg kick that knocked Wand down.

6Ny-mAkc8aLD8a_Wqge0FXnLCLjo4IYzVQBCkNk9Ny4.jpg

Any other fights that looked killer on paper but the fight itself was pretty forgettable?
Aldo v McGregor- I stayed up till the early hours to watch this and could not believe what transpired. I honestly thought this would be an elite stand up fight with Aldo being victorious....

Chuck vs Wand wasn't all that great

<LikeReally5>

Impossible expectations cannot be expected to be achieved.

I bet all the Pride fanboys were expecting an easy 1st round KO by Wand, but what ya'll got instead was a 3-round slobberknocker that ended in a split decision.

So disappointing.

Nah, although there was no finish that fight had some epic moments and both guys were pretty beat up after the fight and left it all in there.
Now, Im pretty, but not as pretty as a pair of titties

Guess i was wrong there, for some reason i remember them being more tentative in the first round.

where's my crow at?

If anything, the 3rd round was a 'play-it-safe' round with the only takedown of Chuck's entire career.

He held Wand there a while, because he knew how the judges scored the rounds back in 2008.

arlovskivssylvia_original.jpg

775,000 buys, which was a lot at the time. One of the worst fights ever.
You know this fight gets mentioned in most boring fights ever since it happened but when I rewatched some old DVDs last year I was pleasantly surprised with that fight. Andre looked great in the first rnd and Tim started to find his rhythm as it went on. but there was no staring and there was decent action. Maybe the hype is what killed it but I give that fight a 6/10.

Who ever mentioned Guillard vs Stephen's is spot on. I thought that fight was going to be violence incarnate. Luckily both sherk/Dunham and Lytle/Serra 2 made up for the lack of blood that night. Still a weird card overall.

Doesn’t sound like it now, but most ppl expected Kimbo vs Alexander to be a barn burner. Also Condit vs Diaz was meh.

Silva vs Maia in Abudhabi...

I was a huuuge casual (still am, just less so) but I expected a competitive fight from Nurmagomedov vs McGregor. I was very underwhwlmed in the end.

In hindsight it was probably easier to see how it was gonna unfold, but I still think it was hard to call such a one sided fight before.

I expected better from Poirier too but at that point I guess that's just how Kahbib's fights go most of the time.

To me the one that comes to mind was Wanderlei vs Ricardo Arona. This was an epic matchup at the time, Wanderlei was in his prime and absolutely dominating his weight class. Arona was a beast with wins over Hendo, Ninja Rua, Mezger, Jeremy Horn, Sakuraba, and most people thought he beat Fedor Emelianenko and was robbed in the decision. He would also go on to crush Alistair Overeem in the first round, the man was a serious force in that division.

I remember when they first met I was as pumped as one can be about a fight. Arona would go on to end Wanderleis streak of dominance at 205, and Wand would avenge the loss with a decision win of his own, but both of their fights kinda disappointed in the sense that there was not much epic or memorable moments. They each won a decision, and the only thing I can remember about either of those fights is Aronas leg kick that knocked Wand down.

6Ny-mAkc8aLD8a_Wqge0FXnLCLjo4IYzVQBCkNk9Ny4.jpg

Any other fights that looked killer on paper but the fight itself was pretty forgettable?
Almost every Rampage fight.

I was a huuuge casual (still am, just less so) but I expected a competitive fight from Nurmagomedov vs McGregor. I was very underwhwlmed in the end.

In hindsight it was probably easier to see how it was gonna unfold, but I still think it was hard to call such a one sided fight before.

I expected better from Poirier too but at that point I guess that's just how Kahbib's fights go most of the time.
Ya you’re definitely a casual. If anything I was surprised that it wasn’t more one sided, but it looked like Khabib wanted to toy with him in the standup for a bit.

McGregor is an overated gimmick.

MVP vs Paul Daley. Such a weird fight. Shitty takedown attempts and stalling. MVP got the decision, but we all lost.

Back