Epic matchups that didn’t live up to the hype

houston alexander vs kimbo slice

source.gif

The 2nd and 3rd fights of the Werdum-Overeem trilogy.

Henderson - Machida certainly wasn't what I expected.

I've never understood why so many people liked Lidell - Silva. Maybe that puts me in the same company as the poster above who says Emelianenko - Cro Cop was boring,
People blame Lyoto for that fight being boring but he cracked Dan several times with shots that have put lesser men to sleep. That was back when Hendo still had an iron chin. Two great fighters sometimes just nullify each other.

Fedor-Cro Cop was a great fight, that guy's crazy.

GSP vs Diaz
Diaz vs. Anderson
Jones vs. Rampage
Rampage vs. Evans
Woodley vs. Wonderboy 2

GSP is my favorite fighter ever, and I have him as the GOAT.
But if I'm being honest: GSP vs Shields and GSP vs Diaz were let down.
I put the blame on Shields, putting his finger into GSP's eyeball and then on GSP for not wanting to risk anything ever after that for the first one.

I put the blame entierely on Diaz for the second fight, because he came absolutly not prepared at all for a beast like GSP. Diaz whole job was to stay up. But he was so afraid of the takedown that GSP hit him all night long and took him down whenever he wanted anyway.

Woodley vs Maia

Thought it was going to be a ground war like Sakuraba vs Newton, or at least a Woodley KO.

arlovskivssylvia_original.jpg

775,000 buys, which was a lot at the time. One of the worst fights ever.

diaz vs gsp

Imo that didn't live up to the hype in terms of promotion, I expected the kind of fight we got though. Gsp had already been established as the guy who was going to wrestle you to hell and you could do nothing about it. I saw that one going only a few ways.

1) diaz gets his Boxing going but gets taken down when he starts to flow.

2) gsp takes diaz down and has his way with him

3) we get the grapplers striking exchange match (colby x usman) with gsp using his speed to keep an edge over Nick high but kind of slow volume, thus jabbing and leg kicking him to death.

In the end it played out how I expected but get why some would view that as a let down fight

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back