• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Epic Beer Thread v30: Pumpkin Beers in August? WTF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya, that's pretty inexcusable for a brewery that basically exclusively brews IPAs.

lol Grapefruit sculpin is 4,70 EUR/bottle here

^ wow, that is horrible. I am in ny and can walk 4 blocks from my house and get it for $15 a 6

midtfyns-bryghus-double-ipa.jpg

Midtfyns Brygheri Double IPA

-pineapple,oranges,tangerines,milky,grapefruit,cereals
-caramel,toffee,bready,syrup,resinous,slight roast
-low to medium bitterniss for the style
-medium carbonation
-medium body
-slight alcohol warming

Really good malty DIPA

6deb99c273d5fca9ca5154e662ce46a5_320x320.jpg

Mikkeller Helping Hand
IPL

-orange zest,tangerines,grapefruit,bready,resin,peache,pine
-high bitterniss for the style
-medium carbonation
-light to medium body

Far away from a typical pale lager.
This is basically a lager version of a pale ale.
You can enjoy it as long as you know the difference.

aktien_landbier_fraenkisch_dunkel.jpg

Bayreuther Aktien Landbier Fränkisch Dunkel

-nutty,roasty,earthy,bready,spicy,mushrooms
-chocolate,raisins
-medium to high carbonation
-light to medium body

Fairly unique Dunkel,didnt pop enough for me though.

gessner-festbier_resize.jpg

Gessner Original Festbier
Märzen

-spicy,bready,grassy,floral,caramel
-medium bitterniss for the style
-medium carbonation
-light body

Pretty nice Märzen

Arcobr%2525C3%2525A4u-Schloss-Hell-foto-by-MRMonich.JPG

Arcobräu Schloss Hell
Helles

-grassy,lemon,biscuity,herbal
-perfumy,white pepper,honey
-finishes dry
-light body
-medium to high carbonation

Everything i want from a Helles

Evil-Twin-Yang.jpg

Evil Twin Yang
Double IPA

-pine,resin,grapefruit,peach,caramel,toffee
.orange,zesty
-long-lingering, almost cloying bitterniss
-medium carbonation
-medium to full body
-alcohol warmth

Good DIPA, but nothing more

Sculpin isnt even worth it tbh. Equal offerings for far cheaper.

That's extremely weird...they're super hyped right now, how would they even allow kegs to get old?

Presumably something to do with how long they're in transit. Apparently one of them mentioned how they would be taken off instantly if they were in that condition in Brooklyn. Unfortunately it's often the case with US IPAs in the UK.

Going to a takeover tonight and they will have a keg and bottles of KBS +9 other Founder beers. Gonna be watching the clock at work all day...

Salivating.

When I got my Black Belt in Milwaukee I celebrated with their Breakfast Stout. Easily one of the best dark beers I've had.

Got some really good feedback from the sales rep for Drakes on my Premium Bitter. He loved it and his only criticism is that it was almost too clean tasting. Not bad for my first all grain brew..

So I figured out where I went wrong with my last home brew batch. Retraced my steps, and it was when I racked it into my secondary (originally just planned on primary) my carboy bung wasn't a snug fit on that secondary so the whole beer got oxidized for a week. Tastes like cardboard I'm dumping these bottles.

At least I gained some experience in the process!

Great Lei by Belching Beaver is a nice daytime bbq beer. They know how to use flavors without overpowering them.

Went to Jacks Abbeys new location/taproom/restaurant and hung with Gorak a little while.
These guys continue to impress. Grabbed a few bottles on my way out. Nectarine Sour was amazing and look forward to this bottle.

emelisse-imperialstout1.jpg

Emelisse Imperial Russian Stout

-coffee,milk chocolate,vanilla,prunes,caramel,toffee
-molasses,figs
-medium to full body
-low carbonation
-alcohol very well hidden

Fantastic Imperial Stout that fades a bit towards the finish

I've had this one a few times, and I think I grabbed the Sorachi Ace version (white label) as well. really fucking good RIS. And I like that it's in a small bottle so I'm not drinking like 4-5 beers of alchol worth at a time.

Need an opinion here. I broke my favorite glass (my HF Stemmed Tulip) right at the top of the stem. It's a clean break and I think I can get it back together. Does anyone know what would be a good adhesive to use? I'll post a pic when I get home from work.

I'd guess like an apoxy glue would work.

I've had some devastating glassware losses in the past...

Yeah, it looked like Gabe had a glass of orange juice in front of him when I got there. The nectarine flavor is very up front and there's a medium sour punch to it. I bought a few of those, and pb&j and vanilla framinghammers for friends visiting soon.

Also ended up drinking a growler of Excess last night. They said they'll be canning Excess around December. Can't wait for that, stuff is awesome.

The barrel aged cherry Berliner Braun and the 3X dry hopped Hoponius Union with Citra were both standouts as well. I tried all three variants of the 3X dry hopped Union and calypso was just okay, Simcoe was much better but the Citra was the showstopper.

The new place is great with a huge wood fire oven and a good amount of seating and plenty of street parking. Service was off with them training new people but seeing there Facebook post today, they're aware of it. New expanded hours with Sunday and Tuesday added, this is a big step up for them.

I recently finished a sixer of Heavy Seas Loose Cannon. Was a pretty solid IPA, no real complaints. I did notice a LOT of sediment though, certainly a lot for an IPA. It also never settled in the glass, which made me think it was actually hop material. Anyone else ever notice that? It didn't affect the flavor at all, just made me wonder.

So I figured out where I went wrong with my last home brew batch. Retraced my steps, and it was when I racked it into my secondary (originally just planned on primary) my carboy bung wasn't a snug fit on that secondary so the whole beer got oxidized for a week. Tastes like cardboard I'm dumping these bottles.

At least I gained some experience in the process!

Ouch. Sucks to hear but good attitude man!

Coronado is doing a tap take over here. Worth going to, and if so any standout to look for?

%25D0%2591%25D0%25B5%25D0%25B7%25D1%258B%25D0%25BC%25D1%258F%25D0%25BD%25D0%25BD%25D1%258B%25D0%25B9.JPG

Ayinger Lager Hell

-juicy,lemon,pear,apple,honey,sloral,spices,parfumy
-light-medium body, medium to high carbonation

Just an all around damn good Helles

schonramer%252Bsaphir%252Bbock.jpg

Sch

I recently finished a sixer of Heavy Seas Loose Cannon. Was a pretty solid IPA, no real complaints. I did notice a LOT of sediment though, certainly a lot for an IPA. It also never settled in the glass, which made me think it was actually hop material. Anyone else ever notice that? It didn't affect the flavor at all, just made me wonder.

was it bottle conditioned?

Went to that Founders tap takeover yesterday, and while I really enjoyed KBS and ReDANKulous (GABF Gold Medal), the rest of the offerings were pretty MEH tho. I thought the Cenntenial IPA was pretty bad actually. The Porter was solid but nothing amazing. Left a bit underwhelmed to be honest. I think the overall issue was they just aren't brewing the kind of styles that I like.

I should really hit up that Jack's Abby spot soon. Sounds like a fun time

CT folks. How available is Ghandi Bot? I tried to snag some at the brewery when I was there a few months ago only to find out that they only do growlers at the brewery. That's one I've been interested in trying for a while.

Had one of these a couple nights ago.

label-lagunitas-stoopid.jpg

It was very good.

I also had this beer just the other day. It was not my favorite IPA hop strong kind of beer but the people I shared it with liked it more then me.

also had this

Equinox-Tap-Sticker.jpg.jpg

Not one person including myself were fond of this beer.

Followed those 2 up with this one and loved every sip.
unlimited-release-lagunitas-imperial-stout-brewed-and-bottled-by-the-lagunitas-brewing-co-petaluma-california-doggone-good-85882027.jpg

Shared this one with a few people for lunch at a disc golf tournament. Everyone liked it but only in small quantities. Way to sweet for regular consumption.
Liquid-Lunch_full_web.jpg

All my friends make fun of me for liking sours and porters. I feel like i'm friends with some jabronis

Yeah I can't do the sweet beers as of right now. I had a grapefruit sculpin the other day and the first half was amazing, the second half it got way too sweet for me and I don't even think its a "sweet" beer in the big picture.

Had Citrusensis from Lagunitas and Imp Doughnut break on tap tonight. Both very good beers

Last edited:
Went to that Founders tap takeover yesterday, and while I really enjoyed KBS and ReDANKulous (GABF Gold Medal), the rest of the offerings were pretty MEH tho. I thought the Cenntenial IPA was pretty bad actually. The Porter was solid but nothing amazing. Left a bit underwhelmed to be honest. I think the overall issue was they just aren't brewing the kind of styles that I like.

While I don't love it, Centennial is a solid B option around here. It's like a Two Hearted in my book. I enjoy it but I don't seek it out. Their porter is pretty universally loved. I've never had it so I can't comment. Try their Breakfast Stout when you can. It's a great coffee stout. They are a solid, easy access brewery but I don't go crazy for most of their stuff.

New beer alert! Station 26 Brewing is canning their Citra IPA. Holy shit it is so good.

While I don't love it, Centennial is a solid B option around here. It's like a Two Hearted in my book. I enjoy it but I don't seek it out. Their porter is pretty universally loved. I've never had it so I can't comment. Try their Breakfast Stout when you can. It's a great coffee stout. They are a solid, easy access brewery but I don't go crazy for most of their stuff.

I am quite fond of their All Day. That box of 15 can go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back