• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Epic Beer Thread v30: Pumpkin Beers in August? WTF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. Accepted all the Untappd requests.

Has anyone had the almanac farmer's reserve pluot? Holy shit, so good. Ive never eaten a plum apricot hybrid...but dammit, now I want to.
Ya the Pluot is one of my favorites. The fruits are also in season right now I've been eating them non stop.

Fat Head's smoked it at the GABF. Placed in 5 categories, winning 4 and 2nd in the other.

Midnight Moonlight (Gold) - American-style Black Ale
Bone Head Imperial Red (Gold) - Double Red Ale
Black Knight (Silver) - Schwarzbier
Hop JuJu (Gold) - Imperial India Pale Ale
Blitzkrieg Bock (Gold) - Rye Beer

I've only had Hop JuJu and Bone Head. Bone Head is far and away the best Red I've ever had. JuJu is the best DIPA I've ever had as well and the 2nd best IPA overall (a step behind Todd the Axeman from Surly which is a fucking revelation). They are my 2nd favorite brewery and crush hoppy beers. When JuJu hits, I'll gladly take care of anyone interested.

Had some Todd the axe man the other day. Damn good beer. Tulsa twister which they did with Prarie is also damn good.

Drinking my own IPA right now. Lots of Centennial, Citra as Mosaic in the late and dry hop additions.
Changed it up and used Carastan with a wee bit of roasted barley in the malt bill. Also fermented with US-04 (English Ale Strain) as opposed to US-05 (Chico/Cali strain).
Turned out really, really well.
My recent pale ale is still conditioning, but I'm worried this may be my first shitty batch.

Warning: Great Western California Select 2-row has zero color and zero flavor. It's as light as Pilsner. So far it's tasting overly bitter with no malt character at all. I'll give it some time and hope it balances out.

Trial and error!

Ya the Pluot is one of my favorites. The fruits are also in season right now I've been eating them non stop.

Got this one in my fridge. Need to pop it but Ive been drinking all my Peach Optimos instead.

You have to hit Davis and get that shit from Sudwerk. It is wild.

Fat Head's started as a beer bar in Pittsburgh. That morphed into a partnership with a brewer based out of Cleveland to start brewing their own beer. They just opened a brewpub in Portland, OR back in March or so. They distribute to Western PA, Ohio, Indiana, some parts of FL, and locally in Portland. PUO3 always gets some Fat Head's in his box whenever we trade and is always very pleased. They are very west-coast in style with a big, assertive bitterness behind a huge hop front. I love their stuff but it's very in-tune with my preferences. If you are more into the orange juice coming from your Tired Hands or Trillium, then it may be too bitter for your tastes.

Goddamn it I was just in Portland last month, but I was on a sour/RIS tare so wasn't registering IPA's etc. Next time!

I am a full on West Coast IPA lover so I am sure I would dig it. I have yet to try any of the East Coast "Juice" beers, though I totally would cause it sounds interesting.

Had this semi-locally brewed beer (out of Temecula) the other night. It's an Imperial Brown. Was very good.

black-market-brewing-co-embargo-barrel-aged-imperial-brown-ale-beer-california-usa-10667419.jpg

My recent pale ale is still conditioning, but I'm worried this may be my first shitty batch.

Warning: Great Western California Select 2-row has zero color and zero flavor. It's as light as Pilsner. So far it's tasting overly bitter with no malt character at all. I'll give it some time and hope it balances out.

Trial and error!

Shitty because of the malt?

Even if so, a good ferment and some dry hopping will make it salvageable, hopefully.

Never heard of GW Cali 2-Row, by the way. All I ever buy is Canadian 2-Row or Marris Otter for my base malt.

There is no better pumpkin beer than Night Owl. You will try this and never look at another pumpkin beer the same. One of my favourite beers ever.

beer_17642.jpg

Shitty because of the malt?

Even if so, a good ferment and some dry hopping will make it salvageable, hopefully.

Never heard of GW Cali 2-Row, by the way. All I ever buy is Canadian 2-Row or Marris Otter for my base malt.
Ya my last batch was all Marris Otter and it was great. It may have been another issue possibly fermentation related. Still trying to narrow down why it's off so I don't repeat that mistake in my process.

Kauzen-Hell.jpg

Kauzen Helles Landbier
Helles Lager

-honey,caramel,grassy,pear,apple,grainy
-light-medium body
-high carbonation (overcarbonated),which even impedes the taste

Monotone,below average Beer

2010-07-12-scheyern.jpg

Kloster Scheyern Export-Dunkel

-plums,raisins,dates,nutty,strawberries,slight roast
-light to medium body,medium carbonation

Really good Dunkel

Founders is in Cali, ya'll!

Tap Takeovers all over the place starting this Thursday.

I just did a beer menus search and nothing outside NY came up for Grimm kegs so you may be out of luck. Closest was 150 miles from Boston.

Damn a 9% beer is your go to? Haha. Here I am digging on Sidekick, Lilikoi and Easy Jack all summer.

Lol one of my go to's is Chickow which is 10%

Shit, thought that would be the case. Somewhere north of Danbury CT to where the owner of my company lives. Forget the name of the town.

If it's on a Saturday, you will be close to this place and should check it out

http://www.oecbrewing.com/index/

Right near Black Hog brewery as well, which isn't very good IMO but still worth a quick stop.

And although it's not close to Danbury, if you get a chance definitely stop by New England Brewing Co for some of the best beers in New England

My first recipe/all-grain brew:

2vcg5tl.jpg

Golden Premium Bitter 4.9% ABV

95% Marris Otter
5% English Crystal 45L

First Gold and East Kent Golding Hops

London Ale III yeast

Really happy with the results and only 3 weeks since brew day. Super flavorful for a small beer. Could crush these all day, which is what I was going for.

Flavored beers should be banned. They are ALL NASTY!

Try an imperial stout with maple, vanilla, coffee, or chilis or a fruited wild/lambic and get back to us on your hypothesis.

If you're referring to Leinenkugels or some shit like that, then I agree. But, don't discount all fruited or "flavored" beers.

Try an imperial stout with maple, vanilla, coffee, or chilis or a fruited wild/lambic and get back to us on your hypothesis.

If you're referring to Leinenkugels or some shit like that, then I agree. But, don't discount all fruited or "flavored" beers.

A bar by me has 4 different types of Cantillon lambics (or whatever they are). They are basically about $60 a 22 oz bottle and they must be drank at bar. I want to pull the trigger but fear I would take a sip and not like it and basically dump it and get an IPA. But I would like to try one just to try it.

Mango Kolsch is very mango. I like it, probably wouldn't buy it again. But I like it.

$60 is a lot of dough, so split it between 3 people, and you each get a full glass with some leftovers. Problem solved, and you can say you tried a Cantillon.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Actually had one leftover from the last trade so I put it aside for you already.

Gorack: All your beers are put aside. I just need to box them up.

A bar by me has 4 different types of Cantillon lambics (or whatever they are). They are basically about $60 a 22 oz bottle and they must be drank at bar. I want to pull the trigger but fear I would take a sip and not like it and basically dump it and get an IPA. But I would like to try one just to try it.

Do you generally like Lambics?

Actually had one leftover from the last trade so I put it aside for you already.

Gorack: All your beers are put aside. I just need to box them up.

Cool. If you can wait about a week to send that would be good. I'm going to be in Chicago next week and would rather be here when it arrives.

Do you generally like Lambics?

i've really only had lindeman's black cherry and strawberry if that counts -- was pretty decent from what I remember. I had Oude's something and hated it.

I've had bruery tart of darkness and while not a lambic that was just annoyingly sour

Not a problem. It will take 4-5 days to get to you anyway so I'll try to ship it next week.

Lindemans are like lambics with training wheels. They are generally much sweeter and less sour than typical belgian lambics. Try something like Tilquin, Hanssens, Drie Fonteinen, or Girardin which should be easier to find (maybe not Drie Font) and cheaper. See if you like them before jumping into a $60 Loon.

But then again, if they have Fou Foune, just drink the fucker because the cheapest I can find on the internet is $100 if you can find it at all.

Son of a bitch!

Hey, hey, hey...settle down...it's the same beer that I posted about that set you on your Kolsch tirade to begin with! It's not a new one man, don't worry...ALL other Kolsch's out there are traditional, this is the only one with delicious mangos in it!

Day 3; winding and dubbel'ing down...Westmalle that is...waves were good today...

ogz85t.jpg

Henry Flower - New Jack's Abby location opens tomorrow with a bunch of stuff they've saved for the opening on tap. I'm going around noon I think and Gabe will be stopping in at some point.

Okay guys we've been saving some super special kegs and bottles to help celebrate the move and we'll have them available starting TOMORROW!

ON DRAFT: Hoponius Union, Smoke & Dagger, House Lager, Mass Rising, Red Tape, Leisure Time, Numb Swagger, Calyptra, trIPL, Fire in the Ham, Excess IPL, Copper Legend, 3x Dry Hopped Hoponius w/ Citra, 3x Dry Hopped Hoponius w/ Calypso, 3x Dry Hopped Hoponius w/ Simcoe, Nitro Framinghammer, Barrel-Aged Framinghammer, Vanilla BA Framinghammer, Coffee BA Framinghammer, Cocoa-Nut BA Framinghammer, PB&J Framinghammer, Sour Cranberry, Sour Nectarine, Barrel-Aged Cherry Berliner Braun

We're also SPECIAL BOTTLE RELEASE of all the BA Framinghammers (limit 2 per person) as well as two new bottle conditioned sours, Cranberry and Nectarine (limit 6 per person).

See you soon at 100 Clinton Street in Framingham!!

You should be doing this.

Hey, hey, hey...settle down...it's the same beer that I posted about that set you on your Kolsch tirade to begin with! It's not a new one man, don't worry...ALL other Kolsch's out there are traditional, this is the only one with delicious mangos in it!
Lies. I'm sure there is an Imperial K

Lindemans are like lambics with training wheels. They are generally much sweeter and less sour than typical belgian lambics. Try something like Tilquin, Hanssens, Drie Fonteinen, or Girardin which should be easier to find (maybe not Drie Font) and cheaper. See if you like them before jumping into a $60 Loon.

But then again, if they have Fou Foune, just drink the fucker because the cheapest I can find on the internet is $100 if you can find it at all.

these 2 i can definitely get
Cantillon Cuvee St. Gilloise
Cantillon Vigneronne

I have to go again to the bar again to find out the other 2. I guess I have to drink one just to say i drank one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back