• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Epic Beer Thread v30: Pumpkin Beers in August? WTF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of yet, Grimm doesn't bottle their IPAs, only their sour and Belgian style stuff. The cans will be the first time you can get package of Grimm IPAs. So if you guys get draft up there, check beer menus to get Lambo because its popping up all over town here this last week.

Tesseract will be popping up next week/wee after on draft. They will start delivering to bars and beer stores prob Tuesday or Wednesday. Usual spots here, Proletariat, Good Beer, Fools Gold, Blind Tiger, Torst, etc.

I prefer to drink from the can but always pour bottles into a glass. For me you can still get the nose from the can because your nose is attached to the top of the can where a bottle has a few inches of bottleneck that ruin the aroma.

Ah. I wish there was an easy way to figure out whether or not any place near me is getting those on draft. I'll check the menus of the few bars/beer taverns around here that usually have solid, rotating menus.

Definitely always poor bottles as well. Good to know I'm not committing some beer sin by opting to drink from the can. I've recently been loving Resin from the can. It's been my mid-to-late summer go-to beer for weekday nonsense with all this nice summer weather we've been getting.

0006345-rugener-insel-brauerei-insel-saison-033l-300.jpg

Rügener Insel Saison

-wheat,lemon,herbs,honey,banana,toffee,lime
-spicy,coriander
-moderate bitterniss
-finishes dry
-medium to high carbonation
-light to medium body

Solid Saison

tumblr_nuxj16IRyd1tyaxg3o1_1280.jpg

Löwenbräu Oktoberfestbier

-honey,floral,sulfur,grass,spicy
-sweet biscuit malt,bready,slight diacetyl,touch of hop bitterniss
-medium carbonation
-light to medium body
-no alcohol detectable

Good,authentic Oktoberfest Beer

3213.jpg

Andechser Export Dunkel
Munich Dunkel

-bready,plums,raisins,dates,strawberries,rose hip
-medium carbonation
-light body

Great Dunkel.
Reminded me of Rose hip Tea

IMG_6773.jpg

Smuttynose Robust Porter

-coffee,chocolate,tobacco,faint dark fruits
- mocha
-medium carbonation
-medium body

Good, but couldve popped a bit more

img05637-20150528-1846.jpg%3Fw%3D627

De Molen Heen & Weer
Tripel

-caramel,toffee,honey,white bread,candied orange,coriander,slight lemon,faintly tart
-spicy
-high bitterness for the style
-low to medium carbonation
-full body
-alcohol well hidden

Certainly a different kind of Tripel.Colour-wise it reminds me of the "Gulden Draak 9000".
And its fairly hoppy.
I really liked it.

moosbacher%252Bpilsner.png

Moosbacher Pilsener

-biscuity,sulfur,spicy,grainy,cardboard
-earthy,metallic,sweet malt,bready,slightly acidic
-medium to high bitterniss for the style
-light body

Rather poor Pilsener

Your location says Ct, do you drive to mass to get trillium? If so, what is the closest place to get it? I have to go to some BBQ thing in middle CT in a few weeks and want to make a beer run.

Well unfortunately you pretty much have to go to Boston to get it. I've only gone once myself, and this bottle a friend gave me last week.

Where in CT will you be?

OK im finally on Untappd. Handle is menardma, add me as a friend so you can judge me for how often I drink!

hey New Englanders - tickets to Extreme Beer Fest went on sale today FYI. Several months earlier than usual for some reason...and it's on Super Bowl weekend this year!

KOQ24 STAYS drinking beer.

I feel like I'm slackin'...

I finally gave up on updating untappt a month or so ago. It's still a cool app tho.

What an great delivery this morning from my awesome mom.
sIqN3X.jpg

Any opinions on these beers?

Just had this and I think it was the best beer that I've ever had.

3floyds-zombiedust.jpg

Just got back from a week in Ireland. Amazing vacation! Lots of Guinness was consumed...but i'm very much looking forward to reuniting with the New England IPA tonight.

Drove down to Other Half again and bought a case of Citra. Missed out on Cascade

Qb6fQGW.jpg

Citra is the MOST INTENSE ipa I have ever had. Damn good. Imagine the amount of grapefruit and orange bitterness your mouth could handle. Now cube this and square that. Damn. I wasn't paying attention on one sip and damn near choked myself.
Citra is a hop that can stand on its own, which Simco can not (and messed up my IPA appreciation for a week).

I had hill farmstead's double citra last week and no where near this intense.

This is just good grapefruit orange bitterness.

Just had this and I think it was the best beer that I've ever had.

3floyds-zombiedust.jpg

Nice. I had that same glass until about a month ago when my wife broke it. Still have one with the green writing. Hoping to pick up a bunch of ZD while I'm home next week.

Fresh hop beers abound this week. Probably the only time I get excited for IPAs.

Anything outstanding in your area(s)?

This is pretty outstanding. and it won Gold today at GABF.

Well unfortunately you pretty much have to go to Boston to get it. I've only gone once myself, and this bottle a friend gave me last week.

Where in CT will you be?

Shit, thought that would be the case. Somewhere north of Danbury CT to where the owner of my company lives. Forget the name of the town.

Drinking this while watching the fights.
really good. Can taste the chilli's up front and the sea salt at the end. Chocolate is there too, but quite subtle.

The label says there is smoked malts in there as well, but I don't really notice it.

Attachments

• spanning.jpg
    spanning.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 6
Had my 1st Black Butte Porter this weekend. There is always a debate over Black Butte vs. Edmund Fitzgerald. Black Butte is a great porter but I think it's a clear half-step behind Eddy Fitz. Both great but I like Eddy more.

Drinking this while watching the fights.
really good. Can taste the chilli's up front and the sea salt at the end. Chocolate is there too, but quite subtle.

The label says there is smoked malts in there as well, but I don't really notice it.

I liked this beer a lot, too.

Going to try and pick up some Captains Daughter from grey sail this week most of their stuff is meh. But have heard good things

Fat Head's smoked it at the GABF. Placed in 5 categories, winning 4 and 2nd in the other.

Midnight Moonlight (Gold) - American-style Black Ale
Bone Head Imperial Red (Gold) - Double Red Ale
Black Knight (Silver) - Schwarzbier
Hop JuJu (Gold) - Imperial India Pale Ale
Blitzkrieg Bock (Gold) - Rye Beer

I've only had Hop JuJu and Bone Head. Bone Head is far and away the best Red I've ever had. JuJu is the best DIPA I've ever had as well and the 2nd best IPA overall (a step behind Todd the Axeman from Surly which is a fucking revelation). They are my 2nd favorite brewery and crush hoppy beers. When JuJu hits, I'll gladly take care of anyone interested.

Cool. Accepted all the Untappd requests.

Has anyone had the almanac farmer's reserve pluot? Holy shit, so good. Ive never eaten a plum apricot hybrid...but dammit, now I want to.

^^^
Sounds awesome. I guess they're East Coast because I have not heard or seen them around the PNW.

Drinking my own IPA right now. Lots of Centennial, Citra as Mosaic in the late and dry hop additions.
Changed it up and used Carastan with a wee bit of roasted barley in the malt bill. Also fermented with US-04 (English Ale Strain) as opposed to US-05 (Chico/Cali strain).
Turned out really, really well.

tripel2.jpg

Wilderen Tripel Kanunnik

-banana,coriander burst,lemon,caramel,toffee,white bread
-spice,pepper,diacetyl,pears
-medium to full body
-alcohol warmth

One of the lesser Tripels ive had so far

Hoevels_Original.jpg

Hövels Original
Altbier

-grassy,caramel,bready,spicy,elderberries,raisins,slight chocolate
-nutty,metallic
-long-lingering light to medium carbonation
-medium carbonation
-light to medium body
-faint alcohol warmth

Hövel's refuses to call this an Altbier, but it is one.
o.k. overall

27255C3B53721DD719DEC2

Arcobräu Weissbier Hell
Hefeweizen

-tart,lemon,wheaty,pickles,perfumy,clove
-pepper,slight banana
-finishes dry
-light body

Barely average

kloster_andechs_weissbier_dunkel.jpg

Andechser Weissbier Dunkel
Dunkelweizen

-nutty,clove,chocolate,wheaty,burnt toffee
-roasty,caramel,licorice,wheaty,bready
-light to medium body

Very Pleasant

cimg0808.jpg

Kilkenny
Red Ale

-plums,raisins,metallic,nutty
-faint coffee,bready
-light, watery body

o.k. but nothing more

paulaner-oktoberfest-2b.jpg

Paulaner Oktoberfest Bier

-sulfur,apple,honey,pears,spicy
-lemon,sweet malt,biscuity
-medium bitterniss for the style
-light to medium body

Noticeably more hoppy than the other Oktoberfest Beers

^^^
Sounds awesome. I guess they're East Coast because I have not heard or seen them around the PNW.

Drinking my own IPA right now. Lots of Centennial, Citra as Mosaic in the late and dry hop additions.
Changed it up and used Carastan with a wee bit of roasted barley in the malt bill. Also fermented with US-04 (English Ale Strain) as opposed to US-05 (Chico/Cali strain).
Turned out really, really well.

Fat Head's started as a beer bar in Pittsburgh. That morphed into a partnership with a brewer based out of Cleveland to start brewing their own beer. They just opened a brewpub in Portland, OR back in March or so. They distribute to Western PA, Ohio, Indiana, some parts of FL, and locally in Portland. PUO3 always gets some Fat Head's in his box whenever we trade and is always very pleased. They are very west-coast in style with a big, assertive bitterness behind a huge hop front. I love their stuff but it's very in-tune with my preferences. If you are more into the orange juice coming from your Tired Hands or Trillium, then it may be too bitter for your tastes.

Ah. I wish there was an easy way to figure out whether or not any place near me is getting those on draft. I'll check the menus of the few bars/beer taverns around here that usually have solid, rotating menus.

Definitely always poor bottles as well. Good to know I'm not committing some beer sin by opting to drink from the can. I've recently been loving Resin from the can. It's been my mid-to-late summer go-to beer for weekday nonsense with all this nice summer weather we've been getting.

I just did a beer menus search and nothing outside NY came up for Grimm kegs so you may be out of luck. Closest was 150 miles from Boston.

Damn a 9% beer is your go to? Haha. Here I am digging on Sidekick, Lilikoi and Easy Jack all summer.

Going to try and pick up some Captains Daughter from grey sail this week most of their stuff is meh. But have heard good things

Did you try Jack's Abby's TrIPL? The flavor profile on that is very similar to Captains Daughter. I think both are fantastic. But yeah, every other grey sail I've tried has been mediocre at best.

Did you try Jack's Abby's TrIPL? The flavor profile on that is very similar to Captains Daughter. I think both are fantastic. But yeah, every other grey sail I've tried has been mediocre at best.

Yeah. You gave me a TrIPL a while back. I had the caps daughter tonight and wasn't all that impressed. It wasn't bad, will try again tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back