Elliotedge's Training Log (training for size/BJJ)

Elliotedge

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Now that I'm healthy (post AC joint separation from BJJ) Im going to get in to a serious program. I jope this log will keep my training consistent and humble.

Primary Goal: Achieve, and then maintain, a bodywieght of 190 lbs with current bodyfat and cardio (approx 10-12%).

Why? My sport is BJJ, and my wieght class is heavy middle. At a current body weight of 185, I am in the middle of the division, size (and subsequently strength) wise. I would like to be near the top, without risking a potential wieght cut. I can be a max of 194 with a gi on. My gi wieghs a few lbs. Therefore, a wieght of 190 would be great.

Current supps: I have my nutritional plan lined up. I have made casein my staple, using ON 100% Casein. I use this first thing in the morning, mid afternoon, and before bed. I have also invested in a solid gainer, UN Muscle Juice. I use this to pick up my caloric surplus if I need it, not to be used as a staple in my diet. Pre workout I use a custom blend of 2:1 waxy maize starch to hydro whey protein, and one serving of BCAAs. Post work out is another serving of the same. I also supplement with vege greens multi, Fish oil, and Beta K (kre alkalyn and beta alanine)

Overall diet: I eat plenty of casein and protein rich foods, including cottage cheese, turkey, chicken, salmon and some extra lean ground beef. I eat fruit or veggies at every meal, especially my faveorites: grapfruit, kale, spinach, peas, corn, and blueberries. My main carb sources are oats and rice, which I eat plenty of. I typically follow berardi's 7 habits, but I drink milk and dont have any carbs with my pre-bed meal.

Program: I will use a Waterbury-esque, full-body routine, three times a week.

The workout will stay the same, but rep ranges will cycle.

Workout:
A1.One-arm dumbbell row
A2.Incline dumbbell press
B3.Chins (supinated)
B4.Dips
5.Deadlifts

Rep ranges will be either 5x5 or 4x10. If I do 5x5 for the "A" movements, I will do 4x10 for the "B" movements. The next workout will switch, so that I will do 4x10 for the "A" and 5x5 for the "B". Deadlifts will also alternate workout to workout, 5x5 or 4x10.

The 5x5 movements will be pre-failure, the 4x10 to failure.

I will lift Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

I train BJJ on Tuesday and Thursday. Sometimes Saturday if I feel my CNS is fresh enough.

I realise that this program is ambitious, and will require maximal recovery. Thus I am using my custom drink twice a workout, and making sure I get my solid 8 hours of sleep.

I think this program should do the trick for me, should I stick to it.

Friday

Pre workout: 2 scoops endurox, 1 scoop dymatize ISO 100 (hydrolyzed), 1 serving Beta K.

Workout:
One arm DB row 5x5
70x8, 8, 7, 7, 7
This was too light, as I was still hitting 7 on my last set.

Incline DB Press 5x5
60x7, 6, 5, 6, 6
Again, I'll bump the weight up for my next 5x5 workout for this group.

Chins 4x10
Bodyweight x 7, 6, 3, 3
I can usually do my bodyweight x 10 easily for a few sets, but I guess I was really fatigued from the first group. Bummer.

Dips 4x10
Bodyweight x 6, 4, 4, 6
Again, I think the first part of the workout took more out of me than I thought. Pre-injury I could do 10 dips with a 45lb DB hanging.

Rack Pulls, from 1 inch above knees 5x5
225x5, 5, 5, 5, 5
This was far from failure. Im going to bump up the weight by 50lbs next 5x5 day.

Post workout: 2 scoops Endurox, 1 scoop Dyamtize ISO 100.

Tuesday:

BJJ training.

Not too much to report, low intensity tonight.
-Reversal from turtle
-Arm bar from top position in turtle

Drills started from turtle position, two, five minute rounds sparring from there.

I felt good, but I really need to work on capitalizing on dominant positions. I find myself in a dominant position and cannot finish or assert subs against strong grapplers of my rank.

Wednesday

Pre Workout: My new TP formula came in! See my first post. 2 scoops of my formula, and 1 serving of beta k.

Workout:

One arm DB row 4x10
70x11, 10, 9, 8
Felt good, and I should be able to up this wieght next week.

Incline DB press 4x10
55x11, 9, 10, 9
Strange that I had a dip in performance, felt good though.

Chins 5x5
BWx7, 5, 4, 3, 3
At least Im in the designed rep range! But still an embarrasing performance.

Dips 5x5
BWx7, 6, 5, 4, 4
Brutal.

Rack pulls 4x10
225x10, 10, 10, 10
This was a more challenging rep range, but still not exhausting. I'll bump the weight up by 20lbs.

Post Workout: 2 scoops custom formula.

How long have you been rolling for, where do you train. Your program looks good. If I were you, and doing well in BJJ competition was my goal, I'd possibly cut out a day of lifting and make sure I was on the mat 4 days a week. No amount of lifting will substitute mat time.

Anyways, good luck with your goals bro.

How long have you been rolling for, where do you train. Your program looks good. If I were you, and doing well in BJJ competition was my goal, I'd possibly cut out a day of lifting and make sure I was on the mat 4 days a week. No amount of lifting will substitute mat time.

Anyways, good luck with your goals bro.

I have been training for almost two years. I train at Universal MMA in Vancouver.
Right now, im not in pre-tourney mode, so three days works for me. I fully agree though, when tourney time comes, cardio through rolling and mat time is key. I actually try to put five days of rolling in when its pre-tourney time. I quit lifting all together and just spar for rounds and stretch.

When do you plan on squatting?

I do lots of squat work at BJJ. But it's more sport-specific than BB squats.
For example, we do squats, lunges, and 90 degree iso holds with a partner in firemans carry.
Im happy with the strength gains Im making there, so I think the program is adequate.

Thursday:
BJJ

-arm bar from north/south
-five ways to control the closed guard
-five ways to defend those methods

Drills were from the closed guard, bottom guy sweeps, top guy passes.
Three rounds.

Sparring from knees, seven minutes.

I felt good in training today. My cardio and energy was there, and mental focus was pretty good.

Did you compete at tiger balms?

No, I didn't. I wasted my time with that tournament last year, and I swore I never would again.

Saturday:

Ran stairs with my gf today. Stairs totally kick my ass. I haven't felt my lungs burn like that in AGES. I thought my cardio was good, but clearly I was wrong. Im going to try to do stairs once a week.

03/24/08

One arm db row, 5x5
80x7, 7, 5, 5 ,5
Man, too easy. But I'd rather build up carefully after an injury.

Incline press, 5x5
65x7, 7, 5, 5, 5,
hard work. But I made it to the last set pre-failure.

Supinated chins, 4x10
bw x 10, 7, 4, 5
I still suck at chins.

Dips
bw x 10, 10, 5, 5
I still suck at dips.

Rack Pulls, 5x5
295x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
Is this a pretty good rack pull for my weight and time back from training? (185lbs, 2 months post injury)

I must be doing something right, because my hunger has gone through the roof. I woke up this morning VIOLENTLY hungry. By this I mean that I was ready to tear in to any food that came in to my path. I ate four, large omega 3 eggs, and two packs of organic oats. Coming in at 660 calories, 34g protein.
I also took my morning supps: Vege greens and beta k.

The real reason for this post is to rant about the unfortunate drama at my BJJ academy. The head coach has quit, leaving only purple belts as instructors. While they are very good, I have a problem paying as much as I do for instruction, having lost such a valuable trainer. For those in the know, Universal HAD one of the best BJJ trainers in the city.

To add insult to injury, I went to the gym to train today, hoping to get a good workout and learn, only to find NO instructor at all, not even a substitute. I ended up TEACHING the class. I paid my gym to teach today, essentially.

This totally sucks. How am I supposed to improve at a gym where the instructors aren't paid well, and therefore don't show up? This used to be one of the best BJJ academies in the city, but management better fix this problem quick, or they might be in danger of losing their best students.

2/4/2008

One arm DB row, 4x10
70x11, 10, 10, 10

Incline Press, 4x10
55x11, 10, 11, 10

Chins, 5x5
BWx5, 5, 5, 5, 4

Dips, 5x5
BWx5, 5, 5, 5, 4

Rack Pulls, 4x10 (start from dead stop, no bouncing off pins)
275x10, 10, 10, 6

Yeah i hoe you can get that stuff worked out. I'd hate to be in limbo with my training situation like that.

Its alright. We have great purple belts, and they have really stepped up to take the lead.

7/4/2008

One arm db row, 5x5
85x5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Incline Press, 5x5
70x5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Chins, 4x10
BWx10, 7, 7, 5

Dips, 4x10
BWx10, 10, 10, 10,

Rack Pulls, 5x5
315x5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Forum statistics