Elbow Pain

Henry Swanson

Excitement’s my game
@plutonium
Reaction score
For some reason I've been getting more elbow pain over the past year or so and it's started to affect my OH pressing. I'm also getting a slight clicking in my right elbow as well. My doctor gave me the whole, "Don't lift heavy weights" garbage so I went to see another doctor today who is an occupational therapist and he also fed me some "Don't lift heavy weights over your head."

My form looks good but I was wondering if it's an imbalance thing caused by weak triceps. Any input?

I have same problem as you.

Both my elbows are weird. If say, I do overhead extensions, my muscles could still go on, but it's like my JOINTS won't allow me to move it no more. I can make my right elbow crackle, but not my left one, but I know my left one is screwed up to.

My forearms are messed up also.

Sonny, to be completely honest with you, I dropped doing alot of heavy gripper exercises to no more than once a week but more like once every two weeks and my elbow pain went away. Have you been killing your grippers at all lately? If so, then try giving them a rest and see if it gets better. hOpe that helps.

I haven't been hitting the grippers that hard lately. In fact, I usually only use them once every 10-12 days.

Sonny said:
I haven't been hitting the grippers that hard lately. In fact, I usually only use them once every 10-12 days.
Slacker!!!!

Don't lift heavy weights. :)

Diligent said:
Slacker!!!!

Don't lift heavy weights. :)

HAHA! When he said that I nodded but I was thinking, "yeah, sure thing doc!"

Sonny said:
HAHA! When he said that I nodded but I was thinking, "yeah, sure thing doc!"
Did you crush his throat with your vice-like grip? :D

Does your routine include triceps extensions and/or curls? In general I find isolation exercises hard for the joints. Those are hard on my elbows. Grippers too though.

I don't do isolation exercises but I am a grip slut.

Sonny said:
For some reason I've been getting more elbow pain over the past year or so and it's started to affect my OH pressing. I'm also getting a slight clicking in my right elbow as well. My doctor gave me the whole, "Don't lift heavy weights" garbage so I went to see another doctor today who is an occupational therapist and he also fed me some "Don't lift heavy weights over your head."

My form looks good but I was wondering if it's an imbalance thing caused by weak triceps. Any input?

sounds like what my first visit to a new general practitioner sounded like.

"doc, i hurt my knee and need to get it checked out."

"how did you hurt your knee?"

"well i did it during a submission wrestling match."

"why would you do something stupid like that?"

that right there told me i needed to find a even newer doctor.

Fuck, it's actually pretty hard to find a good GP here.

TTT.

I hate starting threads and my elbows hurt. Any med guys out there?

*stares lovingly at DeadlyShaolin*

If you are getting a clicking feeling and pain it sounds like you could have tendinitis aka good old tennis elbow

I had those exact same problems and went to see a chiropractor, had about 4 sessions of deep tissue massage done on my elbow and didnt lift any weight for 1 week..and its been fine ever since

Doesn't hurt to take some glucosamine/chondroitin.

Yeah I had the same problem for awhile.

I put an armbrace (ace bandage type of thing) around my elbow/tricep area to keep it warm at all times and that seemed to help it out alot. Also deep massage, minimal use and tried to sleep on my back as much as possible (I had a habit of resting my head on my bicep area when sleeping).

It's been fine ever since.

Thanks for the replys, fellas.

I've been taking a Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement for me knees for a couple of years now. My knees don't give me much trouble these days, but as taking the supplement was one of many knee-friendly changes I made at the time, I can't tell you how much or even if the supplement helps. Could be that I'm throwing down $30 a month for a placebo, but thus far I've been unwilling to risk the return of knee pain just to see if it's money well spent or not.

Might also just be tendonitis, and just need a bit of extended rest for any inflamation to go down.

Orion said:
Yeah I had the same problem for awhile.

I put an armbrace (ace bandage type of thing) around my elbow/tricep area to keep it warm at all times and that seemed to help it out alot. Also deep massage, minimal use and tried to sleep on my back as much as possible (I had a habit of resting my head on my bicep area when sleeping).

It's been fine ever since.

That was my fix as well.

REALLY helped a lot.

I used a neoprene sleeve with an anti-tennis elbow strap and it seemed to be just the trick.

All of us who lift or fight, no matter what age, should be supplementing with chondroitin, MSM, Glucosamine, calcium, and an omega three type oil (fish, flax, rape seed, almond, etc...). If not for rehab, then for prehab.

Extensor work for grip is supposed to help some types elbow pain as well.

Active Release Techniques (ART) can also help if there is a muscle imbalance or adhesion.

Ice and Ibuprofen (or Aleve/Naprocin/Naproxin) will help if there are inflammation issues such as bursitis, which I get a lot from my bad desk posture.

Back