efficiency in II but still gassed during padwork

Cyclone Mike

Amateur Fighter
@Green
Reaction score
So for those of you who both train boxing and or muay thai and have followed II:

Do you still gas during padwork even if you feel you are doing very well in II and improving your conditioning greatly?

I know that my conditioning has improved bc of the way I can complete Ross' workouts in a way I couldn't before, but during pad work (especially muay thai with kicks) I still gas and it makes me mad. I work hard outside of my skills training but when it comes to doing something sport specific I feel pretty close to the same I was before.

any of you guys experience this?

I emailed Ross about it, and he told me he addresses this in full throttle conditioning (which i bought recently) but I just wanted to know if anyone else experiences this and what they did to remedy it (if they did at all)

I find it takes a while for the specific adaptations to occur that translate cardio to different activities.

Completely anecdotal evidence, but it's all I've got.

I find it takes a while for the specific adaptations to occur that translate cardio to different activities.

Completely anecdotal evidence, but it's all I've got.

so if you were to give me advice you would say something along the lines of keep at training consistently and it will come?

so if you were to give me advice you would say something along the lines of keep at training consistently and it will come?

Yeah. The more padwork you do, the more you get adjusted to the specific needs, the more gas you'll find yourself with.

If you're able to quantify your progress (which you are), you know you're improving, so keep it up.

Maybe you are just not allowing for proper recovery to see the results of your increased training.

Tried timing your padwork strategically with your supplemental conditioning. I tend to focus more on skills in the first part of the week and pick up the intensity in conditioning in the later part of the week. Then I have the weekend for recovery and start over pretty fresh the next week with skills again. That may not work for you or your goals, but it is a pattern I have had success with.

Stick with it though for sure. One good technique is to establish a 'peak' cycle. Figure out a training regimine that you think will allow you to build momentum towards a peak, and then break and rest for a period.

Then you can evaluate where you felt physically at the peak and how you performed and adjust your trainng for the next peak. That way you don't get too down when you struggle, you learn it is part of a means to an end.

Every athlete is weak at some point. I know I could possibly get my ass beat by somebody with little to no training on the street if somebody caught me at the right time during the day or week depending on how hard I am training, doesn't mean I am not making improvement.

When are you doing the II work and the skill training?

To be honest once you a high level of fitness in something and try something else, you have that fitness but breathing patterns and muscular needs are different so it will take time under bar (in this case more pad work time) to translate the fitness over. BUT you will adapt and be fitter in a much shorter time then if you started pad work without that fitness

Plus you're used to pushing yourself hard so given enough rest time you will be able to adapt very well to the pad work

I'd wager what's costing you the extra gas is the spontaneity of the movements during padwork. With most cardiovascular training you breathe and move in set and simple rhythms, where as with pads and actual fighting, your movements are less (thought not un) predictable and your breathing suffers accordingly.

It's just a matter of putting in more and more time and watching your technique.

I have had similar experience, although II has definatley helped in ALL aspects of training. I started doing Bas's all around fighting CD with the heavy bag. It forces you to adapt to broken rythms while still trying to breath, punch, kick and sprawl. I usually do II in the mornings thens work skills and technique on nights when I'm not training at class. Bas and Ross have helped me a ton!

i definitely have been considering getting bas' set but then he's coming out with the new one soon...

What i like to do is incorporate some of Ross's workout theories into pad work/sparring. Try tossing in a few exhaustion rounds while working pads.

When are you doing the II work and the skill training?

To be honest once you a high level of fitness in something and try something else, you have that fitness but breathing patterns and muscular needs are different so it will take time under bar (in this case more pad work time) to translate the fitness over. BUT you will adapt and be fitter in a much shorter time then if you started pad work without that fitness

Plus you're used to pushing yourself hard so given enough rest time you will be able to adapt very well to the pad work

I find this all the time but the other way around. I have kicked and ounched my whole life and can go for ever on the bag, pads, and sparring but when it comes to road work I can't run a mile without droping dead

i definitely have been considering getting bas' set but then he's coming out with the new one soon...

If you get the bas workouts do them on the bag or have someone hold pads for you in order to get a great session in. Doing it as a shadow boxing workout does absolutly nothing. Unless of course you are just starting out.

Shadowboxing does absolutely nothing? Have you done the thai boxing workouts with full power for 30 mins? I would say it's a pretty decent workout.

I don't know your workload but if you have been training for a long time (several months) and you continue to escalate training you will peak...then the body regresses a bit and no matter what you do you won't attain that peak phase till you rest and then restart training progression again.

Rest is way under rated and sometimes with life is often the hardest thing to come by.

I find this all the time but the other way around. I have kicked and ounched my whole life and can go for ever on the bag, pads, and sparring but when it comes to road work I can't run a mile without droping dead

Odd

When I used to swim a lot I I went for a run (when I was back in school) for PE. My swimming was ok but I had never ever run before (I was only 13 or something). I finished 3rd on the 3 1/2 miler, I think I was done in 19 minutes or so, which isn't bad for someone overweight who'd never run before.

I think there is a dramatic carry over, its just technique (both in the exercise and breathing pattern) after the first few sessions and then muscle adaption that occurs after that.

I think your body has adapted to the punching and kicking so you're more efficient at that (broken rythme breathing), but with the running its different requirements/a different breathing pattern.

What kind of pace are you setting for the run (you could be running too hard for the first bit and you mind is thinking 'right, go at a hard pace for a few minutes then you get a minute rest', which is why you're fucked after a mile because that rest my friend doesn't come and your body is thinking what the fuck is going on here).

I don't know your workload but if you have been training for a long time (several months) and you continue to escalate training you will peak...then the body regresses a bit and no matter what you do you won't attain that peak phase till you rest and then restart training progression again.

Rest is way under rated and sometimes with life is often the hardest thing to come by.

Agreed

The worst thing is after you've had a rest its a bitch to get back into it and then its so disheartening when the first few sessions feel like you're going to die.

So for those of you who both train boxing and or muay thai and have followed II:

Do you still gas during padwork even if you feel you are doing very well in II and improving your conditioning greatly?

In addition to what's been said, it

The worst thing is after you've had a rest its a bitch to get back into it and then its so disheartening when the first few sessions feel like you're going to die.

This.

Its harder getting BACK into shape because you know that you used to be able to do the exercise that just kicked your ass without breaking a sweat! You don't mind when you're starting out because you're always improving, getting back up there is a real soul destroyer!

And hey, Ross still posts here - glad the idiots in the MMA forum haven't driven him off yet

(ps. I hate Ross. His videos make me feel like a girly man)

Back