Educate me please; how does judo stack up against bjj?

Fedor. Noted for his hip tosses, Russian Judo and Sambo champion. One of the greatest MMA fighters ever.
Back in the old times, BJJ guys were good at takedowns too. I am using 2012 standards and it is hard to find top judokas in the highest levels of MMA when comparable to top wrestlers (and impossible to find people with good takedowns coming purely from BJJ).

It's true. The truly awesome Judoka care about the Olympic gold medal, not winning MMA matches. Most top Judoka fighting in MMA are past their prime.
Yes. I do not deny that this really keeps top people from making a successful Judo -> MMA transition, but also my point was that Judo is indeed not the go-to MA for no-gi and MMA takedowns. You can have a good Judo and use it in MMA, but it is obviously harder than learning other thing.

Do not misunderstand. I am not saying that Judo isn't no-gi or MMA-able, because you will find plenty of examples that it is, but for someone that isn't already doing Judo, to start training thinking in MMA isn't going to reap so much benefits because the gi to no-gi training in case of Judo is a decent gap in terms of what you cannot do anymore due to no-gi.

Anyway, Judo is both a good plus to someone that uses primarily freestyle (due to his lacking clinch work) or greco (crosstraining in judo-greco would be what I would do it I ever wanted to get good in the clinch).

Depends on the artist more than the art itself.

Standing, the judo guy should have the advantage of being able to take the bjj guy to the mat at will. It depends from there. If the bjj guy remains relatively unscathed it comes down to what position he landed in. Judo guys smother and stay tight, and the subs come fast. They keep base really well. Guard gets problematic, and comes down to whether the judo guy treats groundwork as an opportunity or a nuisance. If judo guy gets swept or gets his back taken, its probably over. Bjj guy is patient, methodical, and sure as hell doesn't want to stand back up.

Its fair to assume judo guy throws better and bjj guy is more crafty on the ground, so it's the transition between those two where the magic happens, and what makes or breaks it for either guy.

But it really comes down to the player. A lot of bjj guys cross train and have top heavy games, and a lot of judo guys have vicious ground games. There's also the leg lock factor, which judo guy won't know shit about unless he cross trains.

Bjj rage will tell you bjj wins because it's the coolest, because he like totally tapped a two stripe white belt who said he was a judo black belt one time.
Some of the judo guys will be too proud to admit the bjj guy has a better shot on the groun, then something about how it depends of the match is on concrete or igneous rock or aids needles or what's ever.
The wrestlers will be butthurt they aren't included in the conversation, and tell you you're a pussy and dont do enough conditioning and that they're hungry.
Oleg ratkawhatever will be in here to tell you sambo is the best, and even though you can count the number of american sambo gyms on one hand, you should train sambo because he trains sambo and that's pretty much all he ever posts

then the next ten or so pages are gonna be some version of 'nuhuh' and 'yuhuh' and bullshit irrelevant highlight videos and a few white/orange belts repeating almost verbatim everything weve already said ad nauseum, a few people will reply with such flagrant disregard for english youll simultaneously wonder how they manage to run a computer and lose all faith in western education, Richard will post something real creepy, someone shills some upcoming seminar or fucking DVD and then I'll be an ass and post a meme or esoteric pop culture reference because im am ass and then one of the 10th planet guys will say blah blah rubber guard and then we'll hear even more anecdotes about one time during practice from some random ass three stripe white belts.

And then finally everyone will agree that both dudes should have just cross trained in each art and that's always the best way. Except Oleg, who will still insist sambo is superior because mother Russia.

And its all the same fucking thing.

Looks like someone lurks on the F12 too long.

As some have stated, it depends on who it is and how they use it.

FUEL_6_Dong_Hyun_Kim_Plat_640x360_7389763794.jpg

Standing, the judo guy should have the advantage of being able to take the bjj guy to the mat at will. It depends from there. If the bjj guy remains relatively unscathed it comes down to what position he landed in. Judo guys smother and stay tight, and the subs come fast. They keep base really well. Guard gets problematic, and comes down to whether the judo guy treats groundwork as an opportunity or a nuisance. If judo guy gets swept or gets his back taken, its probably over. Bjj guy is patient, methodical, and sure as hell doesn't want to stand back up.

Its fair to assume judo guy throws better and bjj guy is more crafty on the ground, so it's the transition between those two where the magic happens, and what makes or breaks it for either guy.

But it really comes down to the player. A lot of bjj guys cross train and have top heavy games, and a lot of judo guys have vicious ground games. There's also the leg lock factor, which judo guy won't know shit about unless he cross trains.

Bjj rage will tell you bjj wins because it's the coolest, because he like totally tapped a two stripe white belt who said he was a judo black belt one time.
Some of the judo guys will be too proud to admit the bjj guy has a better shot on the groun, then something about how it depends of the match is on concrete or igneous rock or aids needles or what's ever.
The wrestlers will be butthurt they aren't included in the conversation, and tell you you're a pussy and dont do enough conditioning and that they're hungry.
Oleg ratkawhatever will be in here to tell you sambo is the best, and even though you can count the number of american sambo gyms on one hand, you should train sambo because he trains sambo and that's pretty much all he ever posts

then the next ten or so pages are gonna be some version of 'nuhuh' and 'yuhuh' and bullshit irrelevant highlight videos and a few white/orange belts repeating almost verbatim everything weve already said ad nauseum, a few people will reply with such flagrant disregard for english youll simultaneously wonder how they manage to run a computer and lose all faith in western education, Richard will post something real creepy, someone shills some upcoming seminar or fucking DVD and then I'll be an ass and post a meme or esoteric pop culture reference because im am ass and then one of the 10th planet guys will say blah blah rubber guard and then we'll hear even more anecdotes about one time during practice from some random ass three stripe white belts.

And then finally everyone will agree that both dudes should have just cross trained in each art and that's always the best way. Except Oleg, who will still insist sambo is superior because mother Russia.

And its all the same fucking thing.

Wow, you must be a psychic... Or an angry teenager. Well, maybe both.

But, laughs aside, here are 3 facts about me :

- i always said that crostraining is key

- i have more judo training than sambo

- i am mainly a bjjer

I still prefer sambo over judo, by far, as a complement to bjj.

And on a side note, i liked Taktarov as a fighter... Quite entertaining

I should say that if I HAD to train one and for being most effective in MMA it would be BJJ more subs and groundwork, as a sport in itself I do Judo and love it.

+1 for RJ for shutting the trolls down before they start.

Can a BJJ guy just jump guard on a judo guy? Stupid question but I'd rather do that rather than get thrown.

Can a BJJ guy just jump guard on a judo guy? Stupid question but I'd rather do that rather than get thrown.

In judo rules, if you pull guard by jumping and wrapping your legs around him and he slams you, you lose.

I love the idea of sambo.

I love the fact you have to stay standing to score.

I love the fact an ippon doesn't end the match.

I love the lack of restriction in rules compared to judo - which seems to only introduce more and more rules.

Lack of chokes? Well - that sucks but nothing is perfect.

The only thing that I find sambo lacks is availability compared to judo. It's easy to be a big fish in a little pond, harder to find a convenient club with strong training partners.

I also like the synergy with combat sambo which I think is a fantastic lead-in to MMA, but I don't know how many sport sambo places are also teaching combat sambo.

I love the lack of restriction in rules compared to judo - which seems to only introduce more and more rules.

The only thing that I find sambo lacks is availability compared to judo. It's easy to be a big fish in a little pond, harder to find a convenient club with strong training partners.

I also like the synergy with combat sambo which I think is a fantastic lead-in to MMA, but I don't know how many sport sambo places are also teaching combat sambo.

You and I both.

Brilliant...oh the chokes thing is just a sports rule, we grapple all the time with chokes in my club as Combat Sambo allows it.

Judo is mainly focused on takedowns and bjj on submissions.

Yes, sambo schools are hard to find, too bad cuz both the sport and combat rules help devlopp better habits than judo rules for many types of competition (or self defense).

There is also the option of finding a training partner with sambo experience or developing a really europrean style of judo, add some wrestling, leglocks, good armbars and play with kettlebells ! I took that road for awhile bfore finding an instructor.

How is it then?

bjj first goal is to control your opponent, then sub him, yes bjj is more focus towards submissions than judo, no shit, but you are skipping the most important goal of bjj, control people... if you cant control them, kind of hard to sub them, it can be done, but most of the times, you are not being able to control your opponent means you are not submitting him.

Back