Eddie Bravo's books.

Dooze

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
First off, apologies if this is the wrong section. Wasn't sure whether I should have put this in Off-topic or here.

At the moment, I don't practice MMA or any form of grappling, but I'm looking at changing that. There's a little MMA team nearby when I'm at uni and I'm looking at popping around once I'm back up there in September/October.

Having not practiced anything before, I'm mainly just relying on the stuff that I've learnt from watching MMA (primarily UFC/Pride) and grappling competition videos I've seen on the internet. I'm wanting to learn as much as I can though and I'm looking at getting one or two of Eddie's books, mainly Jiu-jitsu Unleashed and Mastering the Rubber guard.

I've heard them mentioned a fair bit before and know Eddie Bravo is a well respected BJJ practioner, but not actually managed to have a browse through them yet. Just wondering if many of you have read either of them and how informative/useful they are and whether or not they're worth a purchase.

There is some good stuff in Eddie's books, but I would highly recommend Saulo Ribeiro's Jiu Jitsu University for a beginner.

is the gym nearby a 10th planet gym? cause if it isn't, you won't have a chance to practice and drill any of the gimmicks from Eddie's books since they won't teach them. Your best bet is to get Jiu Jitsu University by Saulo Ribeiro, is it easily the best BJJ book out now.

I have Mastering the Rubber Guard and I actually found it pretty easy to follow. I use some of the basic positions in my game now. Mostly just to control bigger guys and tire them out. That being said, if you are just starting out, you should look to get solid fundamentals from a real instructor. After you know how to move on the ground properly, books and DVD's can really help improve your jj. Watching UFC/MMA can't really teach you the finite points to grappling. Sure you can identify submissions and the basic positions, but executing them against someone who knows leverage points and had good base, is totally different. Go to that club you are talking about and start training.

As Wrestleben said, JJ University is a better read for a begginner.

There is some good stuff in Eddie's books, but I would highly recommend Saulo Ribeiro's Jiu Jitsu University for a beginner.

this, for real.

if you do want to get eddies books, ignore jiu jitsu unleashed and get mastering the twister instead. between those two books you've got a blue print for eddie's bottom game (mastering rubber guard) and top game (mastering the twister).

there is absolutely no reason anyone should purchase jiu jitsu unleashed now that he has put out his two other books, it's not worth the $$$ imo.

If you're an absolute beginner, start with something very basic. Rodrigo Gracie's "Path to the Black Belt" is very good as is Royler and Renzo Gracie's "Theory and Technique." Eddie Bravo's stuff is very style-specific and concentrates on a certain type of game that may or may not be suitable for you. I'm no beginner and I can't stand the "Rubber Guard." Regardless if it suits you or not, you'll still need to be familiar with the basics to understand what he's talking about.

I am still a beginner, but I find Saulo's Jiu-Jitsu University to be the most useful. I also have all 3 EB books and don't use them much.

I guess it depends on whether you want to focus on Gi or Nogi... I see little reason to buy stuff like SR's BJJ University if you don't want to train in the gi.

As for Eddie's books. There is some good stuff in there but I find Eddie to be quite limited in his focus. Also, don't go that way unless you're naturally very flexible.
I own quite a few books, but to be honest, I think I've learned more from videos on the web that from my books. Seeing something done once or twice and then experimenting with it myself works quite well.

i bought eddie's mastering the rubber guard and i found it very useful. if you have a friend or partner willing to practice with you then the books become really effective. he explains the importance of stretching and repitition in the 10th planet system. he also talks alot about weed in the foreward. he shows in depth pictures and very good explationations of how his system works and he gives you plenty of options from the guard and from numerous transitions.

he also talks alot about weed in the foreward.

This goes for both of the books. Skip the foreword if you want to be able to respect Eddie afterwards. He's a bit of a basket case and it really shows in what he choses to share...

Wait, why?

If you're a beginner and solely doing nogi it is nice not to have to "translate" techniques from gi to nogi.

I guess it depends on whether you want to focus on Gi or Nogi... I see little reason to buy stuff like SR's BJJ University if you don't want to train in the gi.

As for Eddie's books. There is some good stuff in there but I find Eddie to be quite limited in his focus. Also, don't go that way unless you're naturally very flexible.
I own quite a few books, but to be honest, I think I've learned more from videos on the web that from my books. Seeing something done once or twice and then experimenting with it myself works quite well.

agreed 100% on the gi/nogi part. eddies system is strictly no-gi. he states that too. the book is for no gi coompetition.

but i disagree with the flexibility part because flexibility is trained. the younger you are the easier it is to become flexible and the consistency of stretching help you. i have bought eddies book (rubber guard) about 6 weeks ago and have seen some really good progress in my flexibility. i stretch when im hanging out, eating, watching tv or sleeping which accumulate to about 2 hours a day. some days i feel the effects of stretching too much but when i heal the progress shows.

i reccomend going to youtube and watching the submissions101 videos because they are 10th planet guys teaching eddies system and disproving theories like natural flexibility or breaking the rubber guard.

if you want to work rubber guard you have to have the foot on the hip. people think just grabbing ur foot is rubber guard. it's not.

without the foot on the hip stacking the rubber guard is so easy. you can't stay in rubber guard with someone stacking you unless you have that foot on the hip. I see this all the time in mma. Bj never put a foot on the hip of gsp and he kept getting stacked out of his rubber guard.

if you really want to learn rubber guard focus on breaking posture and hipping out in guard. seriously without these two abilities you will not be able to get to rubber guard. they are very important

agreed 100% on the gi/nogi part. eddies system is strictly no-gi. he states that too. the book is for no gi coompetition.

but i disagree with the flexibility part because flexibility is trained. the younger you are the easier it is to become flexible and the consistency of stretching help you. i have bought eddies book (rubber guard) about 6 weeks ago and have seen some really good progress in my flexibility. i stretch when im hanging out, eating, watching tv or sleeping which accumulate to about 2 hours a day. some days i feel the effects of stretching too much but when i heal the progress shows.

i reccomend going to youtube and watching the submissions101 videos because they are 10th planet guys teaching eddies system and disproving theories like natural flexibility or breaking the rubber guard.

Do not go to submissions 101 ari bolden is horrible at teaching technique there is absolutely no technique in the tenth planet system that I use effectively that I learned from one of his videos. I watched almost all of them.

This goes for both of the books. Skip the foreword if you want to be able to respect Eddie afterwards. He's a bit of a basket case and it really shows in what he choses to share...
hahaha so true he is a basketcase but i see him as an evil genius of BJJ. you might have to read the foreword to understand his insanity but also the weed parts are labelled "Marijuana and bjj"

if you're a beginner and solely doing nogi it is nice not to have to "translate" techniques from gi to nogi.

If you're a beginner and solely doing no-gi, it's probably nice to focus on the fundamentals and add on rubberguard once you are halfway competent.

Nevermind making minor grip changes to a technique.

Do not go to submissions 101 ari bolden is horrible at teaching technique there is absolutely no technique in the tenth planet system that I use effectively that I learned from one of his videos. I watched almost all of them.

i watch them for the eddie bravo seminars cuz they have sooo many and they also prove a lot of theories wrong. submissions101 may not be the best technical guys but they have eddies seminars on camera so i suscribe. most of their videos also lead to other good submisson techniques from renzo, eddie bravo, marcelo, etc.

If you're a beginner and solely doing no-gi, it's probably nice to focus on the fundamentals and add on rubberguard once you are halfway competent.

Nevermind making minor grip changes to a technique.

You'll notice that I never recommended buying Eddie's books :)

I agree about the rubber guard and I feel sick every time I see somebody doing a half-assed job of it in grappling or MMA. Eddie's books are more that just that though...
I never made a recommendation 'cause I actually don't have a clear cut recommendation for a nogi book.

There's some pretty good stuff in Royler's Submission Grappling Techniques but again, I ended up mostly being a video guy myself and considering the prices those DVD sets go for I can't conscientiously recommend any of those and it isn't kosher to recommend downloading them either.

Back