Eddie Bravo's books.

I will probably get flamed for this but sadly there is no instructional that teaches strictly No-Gi that teaches beginners proper fundamentals

The best "fundamentals" book I can think of is Saulo Ribeiro's JJ university which is a must by even if you're in No-Gi, after all I don't recall any escape or defense in there relies on the Gi. The only problem you'll have is that the Arm Triangle section seems rather lacking in detail (compared to the rest of his sections), and the Guillotine, Darce or Rear Naked chokes are nowhere to be found! (they're pretty important/high percentage for No-Gi, and making a "little adjustment" from the Gi isn't going to make you good at those moves)...not to mention, it doesn't have a section that teaches you how to control positions *scratches head confusingly*

Sadly no book does at the moment, you'll just have to wait a few years for a detailed No-Gi fundamentals book to come out, meanwhile just stick with Saulo's book when you're new, and Eddie's stuff once you get your basics down (and figure out what to use and what not to use)

You should of definetly post this in the OT, they give excellent advice in your case.

If your in Lancaster, don't screw around and go to the Snake Pit. Top notch freestyle/ catch wrestling instruction.

I have Jiu Jitsu Unleashed, it is quite a nice book, has some stuff that you don't see too many people doing (rubberguard) I try to implement some of these techniques as a begineer, but its not working so well as I don't really drill them and don't really understand the book too well ( never was a fast learner in BJJ), but I like how he is completely honest and I like his commentaries on each technique. I also have Guerilla Jiu Jitsu by Dave Camrillo, and its about combining Judo and BJJ together, I haven't found much use for that, since I rarely do standup.

Apprently the Jiu Jitsu University is one of the best books on BJJ in this forum, I see quite a few mentions of it, I'll probably pick one up.

jiujitsu university or passing the guard book are my two favorit books. The worst thing you can do for yourself is getting any of Ari Boldons books or dvd. I've read through them and they are absolutly crap.

jiujitsu university or passing the guard book are my two favorit books. The worst thing you can do for yourself is getting any of Ari Boldons books or dvd. I've read through them and they are absolutly crap.

ari bolden sells books? wow

that's almost as ridiculous as him wearing a JJJ black belt when he is a blue belt in bjj

lol, he was wearing it back when he was a white belt

what do you mean was?

you could take this 2 ways:
1) it is a joke, ha ha, and he is still a whitebelt

2) he negotiated right to 2 stripe blue belt thus was never a whitebelt.

First off, apologies if this is the wrong section. Wasn't sure whether I should have put this in Off-topic or here.

At the moment, I don't practice MMA or any form of grappling, but I'm looking at changing that. There's a little MMA team nearby when I'm at uni and I'm looking at popping around once I'm back up there in September/October.

Having not practiced anything before, I'm mainly just relying on the stuff that I've learnt from watching MMA (primarily UFC/Pride) and grappling competition videos I've seen on the internet. I'm wanting to learn as much as I can though and I'm looking at getting one or two of Eddie's books, mainly Jiu-jitsu Unleashed and Mastering the Rubber guard.

I've heard them mentioned a fair bit before and know Eddie Bravo is a well respected BJJ practioner, but not actually managed to have a browse through them yet. Just wondering if many of you have read either of them and how informative/useful they are and whether or not they're worth a purchase.

I don't know if they are the best books for someone without grappling experience, Mastering Jujitsu and Jiujitsu University would be my picks for that situation.

However, just as books on their own I really enjoyed them. I don't use the techniques at all, but I enjoyed the systematic approach that he uses in showing the techniques and I enjoyed the stories about his life/philosophies, etc.... I would much rather read a book like that, a more personal look at how a Grappler views things, than a book with more techniques in it. There are too many of those out any way.

Don't by Eddie's stuff as a brand new guy. It's like someone who can't read trying to learn on Canterbury Tales. You're not going to get what you need from that.

Try JJU first it's the best whether you do gi or no-gi. If you're really interested in no-gi only check our submission grappling by Royler Gracie

First off, apologies if this is the wrong section. Wasn't sure whether I should have put this in Off-topic or here.

At the moment, I don't practice MMA or any form of grappling, but I'm looking at changing that. There's a little MMA team nearby when I'm at uni and I'm looking at popping around once I'm back up there in September/October.

Having not practiced anything before, I'm mainly just relying on the stuff that I've learnt from watching MMA (primarily UFC/Pride) and grappling competition videos I've seen on the internet. I'm wanting to learn as much as I can though and I'm looking at getting one or two of Eddie's books, mainly Jiu-jitsu Unleashed and Mastering the Rubber guard.

I've heard them mentioned a fair bit before and know Eddie Bravo is a well respected BJJ practioner, but not actually managed to have a browse through them yet. Just wondering if many of you have read either of them and how informative/useful they are and whether or not they're worth a purchase.

Don't bother purchasing Jiu Jitsu Unleashed. If you decide to purchase books by Eddie Bravo & the 10th Planet System, purchase Mastering the Rubber Guard & Mastering the Twister. Also purchase the Mastering the Rubber Guard DVD along with the book. 10th Planet fans are still waiting on the Mastering the Twister DVD.

Eddie also said on his website that he is about to start writing his Advanced Rubber Guard book so you can look forward to that also.

I agree with everyone else though, you may want to start off with Jiu Jitsu University by Saulo Ribeiro & also look into getting his DVD sets which are also some of the best instructionals available on the market. Good Luck!

PS-Like I said, don't get Jiu Jitsu Unleashed, get Mastering the Twister instead & make sure you get the Mastering the Rubber Guard DVD along with the book.

I'd get Matt Serra's DVD set first. Eddie kind of assumes you already know the basics. And Serra's set is good for teaching you all the basics of no-gi.

Back