Eddie Alvarez Wants Vet Fighters to Be Judges After Jones vs. Reyes

How good an idea is this?

• Total voters
Would one of the judges be Dominic Cruz or Dan Hardy?

this is a terrible idea. Fighters all have biases towards people they've trained with / observed in the sport for years.

Not that I can think of any other solution.

Fighters aren't exactly reliable themselves..

We will continue to complain and whomever you put there will screw up sometimes.

Sometimes epic screw ups
It's a good idea on paper but gym loyalties and friendships may lead to unfair judging.

That would be the logical and reasonable thing to do, so it will not happen. Joe Solis, Cynthia Ross, Adalaide Byrd, and many other completely incompetent (and /or corrupt) judges are here to stay.

Bias is the only issue, but bias exists everywhere. The judge last night chose the champ as the winner because of bias.

Bring on the retired fighters!

I nominate Rich Franklin and Dom Cruz

It doesn't matter who the 3rd one is because those two will get it right

this is a terrible idea. Fighters all have biases towards people they've trained with / observed in the sport for years.

Not that I can think of any other solution.

It's worse than that. They'd also often have bias against those they fought, especially if they lost to them.
Plus fighters in general don't seem like the sharpest tools in the shed to begin with. Just what we need is a bunch of judges with CTE.

By far the most retarded score of the night was 30-27 Ewell

Joe Soliz is the same fuckwit who had it 49-46 Jones

Screenshot-2020-02-09-Andre-Ewell-def-Jonathan-Martinez-UFC-247-MMA-Decisions.png

So are all the refs great? Pretty much all of them are ex fighters but they get plenty of criticism.
Having ex fighters might be better or it might not. All that's needed are competent judges. Where they get them from doesn't matter. Their performance should be reviewed and if they're terrible/getting scores wrong then they should be dropped.

The judges don't have to make sure the fighters don't die.... the refs do.

TERRIBLE idea. I watched a lot of "MMA Pros pick fights" videos, and many of the "analysis" comes down to "I like fighter A, so, I want it to win."

Do we really need more judges who can't be relatively more objective, and pick a proper winner? Also, fighters are closely connected one way or another. They share gyms, sparring partners, managers and etc, we would be much HARDER to even control the bias.

We would get even WORSE decisions if fighters were allowed to be judges.

Thats how its done in Sumo and they do great that way.

Can anyone tell me why the first 2 rounds on official scoring where computer printed while the last 3 were handwritten? Never seen that before. Looks strange

Sumo is also rigged.

By far the most retarded score of the night was 30-27 Ewell

Joe Soliz is the same fuckwit who had it 49-46 Jones

Screenshot-2020-02-09-Andre-Ewell-def-Jonathan-Martinez-UFC-247-MMA-Decisions.png
By what you posted, 28-29 Martinez was more "retarded." At least, Joe Soliz was in agreement with Danny Dealejandro. While, JJ Ferraro was completely off the mark. LOL

Train better judges, because it's clear Soliz never read the mma judging criteria, and then have more judges on a fight.
MMA criteria needs to be more simple since they don't know how to score a fight with too many scoring variables.

Yes, it's laid out in detail, but its' that the judges CANNOT comprehend it and use things like "octagon control" to score a round even when there was an extremely obvious difference in strikes landed/damage done.

It’s impossible to have perfect judging and I think it’s naive to think that having professional fighters judge would make a significant change.

While all judges should be educated on the sport, certain people are always going to value certain things differently, whether it be damage done, takedowns scores, octagon control, etc.

3 judges cageside and 3 judges watching video without commentary.

Thats how its done in Sumo and they do great that way.

Can anyone tell me why the first 2 rounds on official scoring where computer printed while the last 3 were handwritten? Never seen that before. Looks strange

I think they had an issue with the computers crashing all night. They had a similar situation in the Ewell fight.

This isnt exactly news. I cant even count the number of fighters that have echoed Eddie's notion.

OR three judges + ex fighter as 4th and ex fighter having certain veto power over certain situations.

OR ( title fights or #1 contender fights), if a close fight encompasses a controversial round - instant replay.... what's another 5 minutes...get it right.

- just throwing some " reasonable opinions" at the proverbial wall-

Back