Eddie Alvarez Wants Vet Fighters to Be Judges After Jones vs. Reyes

How good an idea is this?

• Total voters
I agree, but you kind of need someone without any fighter bias to judge as well, that "casual" opinion is really important and needs to be represented.

Its a good idea not great. Strikers would favour striking exchanges more like how mcgregor believes he won the first round with khabib even though he did nothing and was controlled on ground vs khabib. Grapplers would give more points for takedowns like how jones thinks he won the fight because of 1 td in a round. Also these fighters are associated to a certain camp AKA guys would certainly favour guys training at AKA and so on. It will be lead to very questionable decisions too.

This sounds like the obvious answer, but the reality is different.
Fighters have numerous long term ties to gyms, in addition to who they train and compete against, it is nearly impossible for them to completely unbiased long term. They're gonna be forced to score fights where one guy is from their former gym or a training partner for their buddy and even if they want to be impartial, its gonna skew their perception.
Personally I think more than 3 judges is the way to go.

At least former fighters would be watching the damn fights...

You don't even need to know what you're watching. It's not like judging is hard. Someone that doesn't know anything about MMA judges correctly 99% of the time. It's a fight, you can tell who won a round by just seeing who kicked more ass.

Lmao exactly. It’s the most disciplined organized sanction form of fighting that involves all fighting styles and techniques and weight classes there is.

But it’s still just two men fighting.
We’ve all been judges of that since kids watching guys fight each other on the school yard. Somebody who’s never seen an mma fight or UFC fight can sit down at a party and am watch the fights for his first time and call every fight correctly. I mean, don’t make this more confusing for yourselves.

Fixed judging, politically and financially motivated decisions and rigged matches have always been a part of the fight culture...mma, boxing, etc. and It’s people like Dana who reap the benefits.

giphy.gif

Fuuuuuuuuuuck no.

Why the hell should guys with CTE and relationship biases be judging?

Nick Diaz would have scored the fight like 50 - 40 in favor of Jones

Nah. Listening to jimmy smith and Cruz calls fights makes it so obvious how bias they are towards certain fighters/styles. Just have the 3 refs in the arena that aren’t reffing the current fight judge

Train better judges, because it's clear Soliz never read the mma judging criteria, and then have more judges on a fight.
I have something that will blow your mind. The judge in question last night is an mma instructor

This would improve a lot of fighters retirement, too.
Judging system needs to be reworked, too. It's developed for 6-15 rounds. Not for 3-5.
There is a reason amateur boxing with 3 rounds has a different system.

Something needs to change but realistically having fighters as judges is not a good idea because there would be bias for sure.

I’ve always liked this idea, but then I tend to walk it back when I remember that personal interest is bigger for fighter judges, you have guys who are former training partners and opponents, And there needs to remain a unbiased opinion when judging.
Do I agree though that the judging system and the judges need better training and an overhaul? Absolutely.

Edward has advanced CTE, I'd listen to scrambled eggs before him

Fighters are often just as unreliable as fans because they often know the fighters personally and play favorites. Fans view and judge fights through the prism of their emotions.
I'd rather they shitcan the 10pt scoring system.

I have something that will blow your mind. The judge in question last night is an mma instructor

That did not blow my mind. He still didn't read the judging criteria.

I agree, but you kind of need someone without any fighter bias to judge as well, that "casual" opinion is really important and needs to be represented.
Here, here! I am tired of the oppression that we casuals have suffered at the hands of the hardcores and their allies. I am considering starting a union and drawing up a list of demands,

Back