eBay Fakes Thread

Minowafanatic

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
See a fake item on sale for eBay? Want to ask people's opinions on whether or not a listing is fake?

Post it here!

Example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grant-worldwide-14oz-Gloves/292944234815

s-l1600.jpg

^Fake Grants, with the guy asking 250GBP Buy It Now price.

Don't all genuine Grants look identical to fake Winning gloves?

if we listed all the live winning or grant fakes on here it would be at 20 pages already

You see a lot of them described as "replica" now, I suppose the people who buy them will sell them off in their area.

You see a lot of them described as "replica" now, I suppose the people who buy them will sell them off in their area.
I often wonder who is buying these replica gloves and why as they are not cheap. I find it somewhat amusing when you see clearly fake gloves being sold as 100% genuine

I dunno fellas aren't winning well known for their shitty stitching and not lining their logo up perfectly on the cuff.

I often wonder who is buying these replica gloves and why as they are not cheap. I find it somewhat amusing when you see clearly fake gloves being sold as 100% genuine

Yeah, I've wondered the same thing. It's possible, I suppose, that some of the fake gloves are in fact great gloves. I, for one, have never actually used fake Winnings (that I know about...) or fake versions of any other brand. Perhaps a double-blind experiment over several months of sustained use would show that our judgements about gloves have more to do with marketing and aesthetics than any objective properties of the gloves themselves. Given what similar experiments have shown in other areas (e.g. wine tasting/criticism) it wouldn't surprise me if most of it is just in our heads.

Yeah, I've wondered the same thing. It's possible, I suppose, that some of the fake gloves are in fact great gloves. I, for one, have never actually used fake Winnings (that I know about...) or fake versions of any other brand. Perhaps a double-blind experiment over several months of sustained use would show that our judgements about gloves have more to do with marketing and aesthetics than any objective properties of the gloves themselves. Given what similar experiments have shown in other areas (e.g. wine tasting/criticism) it wouldn't surprise me if most of it is just in our heads.
You might be right there but still don't get why anyone would spend that sort of money on a replica glove where you know nothing about them and there are so many other alternatives such as UMA for example.

I ended up with some fake rival RS11V at some point and man were they bad. I never used them but you could tell they was fake a mile off vs the real ones I had.

The fit2box guy has done some reviews on fake Winnngs and fake Grants etc that he's bought online. To my eyes, they normally look to be Pakistani gloves that might ordinarily retail for $60-70 if they were some regular brand.

I'd guess that a lot of posters here have bought some well-reviewed or high-end gloves before, and been very excited for them, only to find they have lots of issues or fall apart or just don't fit you right etc once they arrive or after you put some use into them, so marketing/aesthetics only goes so far.

Yeah, that may well be right; but I do still wonder about it, given what double blind-experiments have shown about human judgement in other fields.

In the case of Winning, a salient point is that it doesn't engage in anything like the hyper-marketing of most other major combat sports brands. And it apparently doesn't sponsor anyone to use its gloves. This is some evidence that its reputation is well-founded on objective properties of its gloves.

Yeah, that may well be right; but I do still wonder about it, given what double blind-experiments have shown about human judgement in other fields.

In the case of Winning, a salient point is that it doesn't engage in anything like the hyper-marketing of most other major combat sports brands. And it apparently doesn't sponsor anyone to use its gloves. This is some evidence that its reputation is well-founded on objective properties of its gloves.
I don't know those specific studies you might be referencing, but I remember from my psychology degree there being plenty of studies showing the effects of preconceptions on subjective experiences, with lots of different stuff with food taste being the standard go-to. But I think that's fairly different to using a functional piece of equipment over a prolonged period of time, and the the only time a person's expectations about the product are going to be especially relevant will be immediately after purchasing it. You stop thinking about the hype and marketing etc after awhile. For example, last week I received some R2C C17 gloves for the first time, and before they arrived I'd been reading their old reviews on Sherdog and elsewhere, with people saying how they were extremely close in functionality and comfort to Winning. I put them on, threw a few punches, and my initial reaction was hugely positive, and I was thinking they might be my new favourite gloves. Then, I use them the next day properly, and realize that they definitely aren't as good as I had initially thought (still pretty good).

The fit2box guy has done some reviews on fake Winnngs and fake Grants etc that he's bought online. To my eyes, they normally look to be Pakistani gloves that might ordinarily retail for $60-70 if they were some regular brand.

I'd guess that a lot of posters here have bought some well-reviewed or high-end gloves before, and been very excited for them, only to find they have lots of issues or fall apart or just don't fit you right etc once they arrive or after you put some use into them, so marketing/aesthetics only goes so far.

How do you find the fit2box guys reviews to be? He does put up a lot of new gloves and the head to head mehod seems a good idea but it’s too fast paced imo, he sometimes misses things because of how fast he’s going. Also might be a little biased sometimes, in all of his videos that involve the Fly gloves the Fly’s have kicked Winnings ass haha, they do seem like really good gloves but I havn’t own either one till now.

How do you find the fit2box guys reviews to be? He does put up a lot of new gloves and the head to head mehod seems a good idea but it’s too fast paced imo, he sometimes misses things because of how fast he’s going. Also might be a little biased sometimes, in all of his videos that involve the Fly gloves the Fly’s have kicked Winnings ass haha, they do seem like really good gloves but I havn’t own either one till now.
I like the reviews. He does a lot of them so he can't be putting much work into the equipment before review, so I guess you have to take them as being preliminary reviews but he's knowledgable and has obviously owned a lot of equipment. I know what you mean about the head to heads, it's a bit odd sometimes if the performance of one glove is better than another as per his judgement, but he gives the other one a higher total score because it won out in "brand" or the aesthetics. With Winning/Fly I think I remember him saying the price was a 10-10 round even though Winning isstill 100GBP or so cheaper. I've bought two products now based on his reviews and had mixed-ish results but I definitely understand why he recommended the products, and if the same brand sends me a faulty pair of gloves and sends him a well made pair of gloves, then that's just how it is.

I like the reviews. He does a lot of them so he can't be putting much work into the equipment before review, so I guess you have to take them as being preliminary reviews but he's knowledgable and has obviously owned a lot of equipment. I know what you mean about the head to heads, it's a bit odd sometimes if the performance of one glove is better than another as per his judgement, but he gives the other one a higher total score because it won out in "brand" or the aesthetics. With Winning/Fly I think I remember him saying the price was a 10-10 round even though Winning isstill 100GBP or so cheaper. I've bought two products now based on his reviews and had mixed-ish results but I definitely understand why he recommended the products, and if the same brand sends me a faulty pair of gloves and sends him a well made pair of gloves, then that's just how it is.

Yeah I notice the same thing probably on the exact video your talking about, I thought about Brand why 10-10 if Winning is more proven and has been around longer.

He does a lot of gloves but he says he tests them well before putting them up. Someone asked him about a particular glove and he said he needed a couple of weeks for them to arrive and to actually test them so I don’t know how much work he puts in but hopefully its enough.

There’s the other guy too csquaredboxing, good reviews and holds the camera very close outdoors, you get a realy good look at the leather and design.

Yeah I notice the same thing probably on the exact video your talking about, I thought about Brand why 10-10 if Winning is more proven and has been around longer.

He does a lot of gloves but he says he tests them well before putting them up. Someone asked him about a particular glove and he said he needed a couple of weeks for them to arrive and to actually test them so I don’t know how much work he puts in but hopefully its enough.

There’s the other guy too csquaredboxing, good reviews and holds the camera very close outdoors, you get a realy good look at the leather and design.
Yeah, they both have high production values. I like the RateThisGear guy, he isn't as good at promoting himself as the other two although he was around for much longer and used to have a website that encouraged people to leave reviews for equipment there as a resource. He had an account here for a little bit after he'd restarted his reviews, maybe three years ago, but only used it to post his videos, he didn't seem too tech savvy in terms of leaving comments etc. I like that his reviews are short and to the point. He seems to give as much pertinent information as the others but condenses it into only a few minutes.

Yeah, they both have high production values. I like the RateThisGear guy, he isn't as good at promoting himself as the other two although he was around for much longer and used to have a website that encouraged people to leave reviews for equipment there as a resource. He had an account here for a little bit after he'd restarted his reviews, maybe three years ago, but only used it to post his videos, he didn't seem too tech savvy in terms of leaving comments etc. I like that his reviews are short and to the point. He seems to give as much pertinent information as the others but condenses it into only a few minutes.

Ooh ok, I’ve never seen any of his videos, maybe a few seconds and kept scrolling down because I know who your talking about I just don’t remember seeing any full reviews.

Guys that know their materials real deep and can legit get somewhere in manufacturing their gear seem to limit what they say when it’s in depth details of what to look for and how it’s done, I don’t blame them but then again he only did reviews.

The csquare guy’s last post was on the Rival RB10. For some reason the design really attracts me those evil things, just keep whispering at my wallet, just like Bird Box, my wallet has the blindfolds on hopefully the gloves don’t tell it something sweet enough to get it to take the blinds off. I know how durable high end Synthetics and Microfibers can be but $160 on Title and $170 on the Rival website seems a little to high.

Back