DWCS isn't competetive at all

Episode 5 this season was crazy good. I'd say better than many cards in terms of excitement / fun fights.

That's what lower level fights are like. The good guys steam roll average competition. It's like this at local fight shows as well.

The problem isn't the squash matches. It's that the UFC gets to basically gatekeep and lowball strongarm fighters into taking the biggest fights of their careers for peanuts.
Pretty much. The show is basically "Lookin' for a Fight," except Dana has the matchmakers take the regional fights and have them put in Vegas so he doesn't have to leave his fake snow covered driveway. The favorite fighter in the main event usually just has to not lose, and they're getting signed. Also, train with butt chin Urijah? don't lose and you're getting signed. It's almost worth paying Faber just to be in your corner and pretend to know you.

Yeah, it's always sort of been that way though - there's always one girl or guy on there that they clearly wanna push in the UFC and they end up fighting a borderline jobber. It's like an exhibition show but it's exciting at least usually. I still prefer it to TUF, I stopped enjoying TUF (bar the odd season) after the season Gastelum/Hall was the final. It started fizzling out then, there had been 1-2 awful seasons before that one too, though.

I mean we are in the midst of a global pandemic. I have a hard time getting to the gym still and end up just doing pullups and pushups at the house.

I imagine that has hurt a lot of fighters ability to train and improve.
Which in turn makes it difficult to scout new talent.
And my understanding is this show is about new talent (although, admittedly I've never watched an episode and only caught highlights from it before new fighters fights... I'm not sure even what channel it comes on and don't have a cable package).

IDK, I'd give everything a year or 2 lag time after this global situation before they level out.
Maybe. It's more that the winners of yhe showcase matches get a contract. That is great for them, but the fights arent competitive at all. Imo it says only so little on how good the guys that win are.

Bruno Oliveira was 8-1 with 7 finishes and on a 3 fight winning streak against a guy that was 4-0
UFC cant control people dropping out or missing weight.
Gomez was landing some big shots on Bahamondes too before the finish.
Allthough the Saldanes fight was not very competitive it last to the 3rd with a great finish.

If you didnt enjoy that you should just start watching synchronized swimming or maybe knitting competitions.
The odds on that Bahamondes fight where very wide. Sure, every amateur can bang and hit his opponent. But that fight was totally a showcase fight. Gomez was barely defending and got lit up. Bahamondes will win that fight 9 out of 10. It's more that he is young and it took a while before he found his rhythm. And that's probably the bad part. I have no idea if the guys who got contracts are legit, since they fought some of the worst DWCS contenders.

Also, I don't really see why watching knitting has anything to do with it? You mean that everybody with a bit of a critical view should not watch fights? I don't see much relevance there, personally.

I bet on 3 of the favourites, but the odds sucked pretty hard.
Huh?

Saldana was -155. You could get Ulberg at like -180 a couple hours before the fight. He only closed at -240.

In what universe do those odds suck?

Huh?

Saldana was -155. You could get Ulberg at like -180 a couple hours before the fight. He only closed at -240.

In what universe do those odds suck?

I got Saldana for -160 and Ulberg at -220. you are right the odds where okay, but I usually like to bet good underdogs and hope to win at least ten times what I bet. These fights where pretty easy to predict and I could not bear putting money on Gomez

Disclaimer: I am a total casual better and not a good one :)

I mean we are in the midst of a global pandemic. I have a hard time getting to the gym still and end up just doing pullups and pushups at the house.

I imagine that has hurt a lot of fighters ability to train and improve.
Which in turn makes it difficult to scout new talent.
And my understanding is this show is about new talent (although, admittedly I've never watched an episode and only caught highlights from it before new fighters fights... I'm not sure even what channel it comes on and don't have a cable package).

IDK, I'd give everything a year or 2 lag time after this global situation before they level out.
This is basically what Dana said when asked about the future of the show. He said the impact of covid19 is going to be more severe in regards to the UFC’s ability to scout new talent in 2021. Basically what you stated... up and coming fighters have less access to gyms and less small shows to showcase (and practice) their skills.

The short chubby dude could scrap, he brought it hard before he got kicked into another world

I’m happy regional MMA fighters are able to get paid during the pandemic.

If someone ever actually dies in the 'UFC' Octagon - 9/10 chance it happens on Contender Series

Back