Dustin's gameplan in the rematch

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
I don't think Dustin should change a thing until Conor can show he can effectively stop what Dustin's doing. Other than landing the shot that clips or wobbles Dustin Conor is very limited in paths to win. Where Dustin can wear Conor down in multiple ways just taxing McGregor's 12yr old sick girl lungs.

His gameplan should be a pretty easy one. The same as the first one. The calf kicks just happened to work and be super effective. But Dustin's gameplan was to get outta the first round, shoot some takedowns, and wear down Conor, and then frankly do whatever he wants...

Conor didn’t lose cause he was tired, he lost because of the kicks.

what will conor do to stop the calf kicks?

I have only seen Aldo checking them properly

Leap in with a straight right every time? sure might work...

slide out? will only work so many times...

That said I am hoping for a vintage Mcgregor performance and that Dustin's head will clatter off the canvas once again. The game is more fun when Conor is out there delivering KOs

I really feel like the only way Conor is going to win is if he comes out and let's it go until Dustin is asleep...and if he isn't asleep when Conor gasses, well we know what happens.

Gas him out with grappling for 1-2 rounds then pick him apart on the feet. Everyone knows Conor's achilles heel is his cardio.

Calf kick. Punch him hard. Mix in takedowns. Conor's lead leg has been in bad shape for a long time. He doesn't absorb damage to it well at all.

If Dustin is patient and wears Conor down in the first then he'll get the finish either KO again or submission

Calf kicks will probably not have the same impact, the surprise effect is gone and Conor will prepare for them

I predict a grappling heavy approach from dustin for the rematch. He will try to wear mcgregor gas tank out by spamming takedown attempts and clinches and trying to have as much ground control as he can.

Thing is, while his bjj is superior to Conor (but mcgregor is still a brown belt himself) i think that their wrestling cancel each other out.

Also he can hang in here boxing with Conor as the first fight showed us.

All that makes me wonder what will be his gameplan ? If he goes with the same as the first fight that would be a mistake.

Game plan; win.

He has far, faaar more tools in his box than mctapper.

He is the better MIXED martial artist.

However

Is the summary of his skill set enough to outfight the summary of mctappers skillset?

On paper mctapper has "better" and more intelligent striking. Not sure if that applies now after their second fight. A lot of this fight will come down to their respective fight IQ and game plans.

Calf kicks will probably not have the same impact, the surprise effect is gone and Conor will prepare for them

I predict a grappling heavy approach from dustin for the rematch. He will try to wear mcgregor gas tank out by spamming takedown attempts and clinches and trying to have as much ground control as he can.

Thing is, while his bjj is superior to Conor (but mcgregor is still a brown belt himself) i think that their wrestling cancel each other out.

Also he can hang in here boxing with Conor as the first fight showed us.

All that makes me wonder what will be his gameplan ? If he goes with the same as the first fight that would be a mistake.

Whatever he wants he has progressed past conor and conor has regressed

Simply because mcgregor will make calf kick defense a huge part of his next camp. So it won't have the same impact.

I agree with the second part of your post.. actually that might be dustin gameplan

He's still gonna gas out and fold to Poirier regardless of if he figured out calf kicks. He has only one way to win.

Conor will adapt and KO Dustin again. When Nate beat Conor haters said that Conor can't throw leg kicks because he only knows his karate stance lol.
Yeah I remember those of us who thought Conor could learn how to throw some serviceable leg kicks to cause Nate problems were laughed at as filthy casuals who knew nothing.

Simply because mcgregor will make calf kick defense a huge part of his next camp. So it won't have the same impact.

I agree with the second part of your post.. actually that might be dustin gameplan
I don't think Conor can stop the kicks - he has to go for a ko before the kicks impact him. Its basically a one round fight now.

LOL. Conor will get eaten up by leg kicks again. It's possible he's marginally better at defending them but if he's significantly better it will be at the expense of something else.

All Dustin has to do is feint a couple and see how Conor reacts, what his defense or counter is. From there, adjust to that and dismantle him. Dustin is the more complete fighter here.

If Conor can deal with those kicks then it’s a different fight altogether. I’ve seen enough in Diaz v Mcgregor 2 to know that not only is Conor not a quitter, but he also has the capacity to rise up against a seemingly stronger adversary.

He practically died beating Nate the 2nd time.

Again, kicks played a role. However I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic or not but it’s clear as day to see that Conor was gassing in the 2nd round. Not surprising because he came out trying to rip Dustins head off early.

Only a delusional person would think that.. He lost because of calf kicks solely? Nah!! Sorry, but he looked pretty gassed as he was getting punched in the face and then falling to the canvas dead tired and eating more shots to the head. He couldn't defend the kicks okay i got you. But why couldn't he defend the punches haha? Why was he rocked on the feet before he went down? He got rocked because he couldn't defend calf kicks? Survived Conors best assault in the first, hurt him with calf kicks, gassed him with takedown attempts, and then finished a worn and tired Conor with punches..

Only a delusional person would think that.. He lost because of calf kicks solely? Nah!! Sorry, but he looked pretty gassed as he was getting punched in the face and then falling to the canvas dead tired and eating more shots to the head. He couldn't defend the kicks okay i got you. But why couldn't he defend the punches haha? Why was he rocked on the feet before he went down? He got rocked because he couldn't defend calf kicks? Survived Conors best assault in the first, hurt him with calf kicks, gassed him with takedown attempts, and then finished a worn and tired Conor with punches..

This.

It’s so tiring to continue to hear about calf kicks as being the only reason for the loss. Dustin has so many more avenues to Success in this fight then Conor does. Conor isn’t built for the grind and unfortunately for him Dustin is. The issue is, this previous fight never even got to the point where Dustin had to grind out a win. He won because he’s the more technically sound striker in there.

Last edited:
Fake leg kicks and go for head/body kicks. Mix up the kicks. Also grapple. Keep defense up and wear Conor out in the first round.

Back