Dustin's gameplan in the rematch

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 512089

Calf kicks will probably not have the same impact, the surprise effect is gone and Conor will prepare for them

I predict a grappling heavy approach from dustin for the rematch. He will try to wear mcgregor gas tank out by spamming takedown attempts and clinches and trying to have as much ground control as he can.

Thing is, while his bjj is superior to Conor (but mcgregor is still a brown belt himself) i think that their wrestling cancel each other out.

Also he can hang in here boxing with Conor as the first fight showed us.

All that makes me wonder what will be his gameplan ? If he goes with the same as the first fight that would be a mistake.

what will conor do to stop the calf kicks?

I have only seen Aldo checking them properly

Leap in with a straight right every time? sure might work...

slide out? will only work so many times...

That said I am hoping for a vintage Mcgregor performance and that Dustin's head will clatter off the canvas once again. The game is more fun when Conor is out there delivering KOs

Why would it be a mistake or not having the same impact? Conor's power dependent on him planting his lead leg, take that out and all he has is his accuracy that also could be thwarted by getting inside the pocket which is Dustin's specialty.

Why would it be a mistake or not having the same impact? Conor's power dependent on him planting his lead leg, take that out and all he has is his accuracy that also could be thwarted by getting inside the pocket which is Dustin's specialty.

Simply because mcgregor will make calf kick defense a huge part of his next camp. So it won't have the same impact.

I agree with the second part of your post.. actually that might be dustin gameplan

If Conor can deal with those kicks then it’s a different fight altogether. I’ve seen enough in Diaz v Mcgregor 2 to know that not only is Conor not a quitter, but he also has the capacity to rise up against a seemingly stronger adversary.

Conor has completely lost the intensity and focus that he seemingly had when he was still competing at FW and looking for that 2nd belt at LW. Seeing videos of him working out at the beach, or the UFC PI somewhere in Dubai or wherever, doesnt instill in me the confidence that we'll see the return of the Conor that once was. I think Poirier will be able to replicate pretty much the same tactic fairly easily, and maybe also incorporate some wrestling to take it into the deeper rounds and drown Conor there.

I do think Poirier is a bit chinny, easy to rock but hard to finish, and with Conors power its always gonna be a toss-up in the first 8 minutes.

Last edited:
Timing a counter to Conor's one-two will be enough.

I agree that he should not rely on calf kicks this time around as Conor will have a defense for them but he should use them as a decoy.

Last edited:
Conor will be better, but I think Dustin's chin will ultimately prove to be too sturdy.

Dustin is a real life complete top tier elite 155er.... unlike gatekeeper Nate. Conor has his work cut out for him. Conor can still sit on his hands/ power and that's why fight is a pk em.
I dont think the calf kicking will come into play here but Dustin will keep that theory " honest " and just make sure early in fight.

Dustin , at this point, is the better mmartist but that doesnt mean Conor wont win. McGregor is a former 2 division champ but a bit nurtured and no defenses. However, he made Eddie Alvarez look like he didnt belong in same cage ( although, ironically Eddie was on other side of career as he had the round of his life vs RDA in getting title).

Conor doesn't need to hone his boxing and not worry about building his body. Hes needs to be a better mmartist. Conor should make his rounds with other gyms and humble himself ( this a tall task) and a better fighter will be spit out for his efforts .

what will conor do to stop the calf kicks?

I have only seen Aldo checking them properly

Leap in with a straight right every time? sure might work...

slide out? will only work so many times...

That said I am hoping for a vintage Mcgregor performance and that Dustin's head will clatter off the canvas once again. The game is more fun when Conor is out there delivering KOs

Straight up, while I rarely cheered for Conor, I was glad when he won because it was good for the sport.
Realistically, a lot fewer people (non-hardcore MMA fans) would care so much about Khabib if it weren't for the whole bus foolishness.

His gameplan should be a pretty easy one. The same as the first one. The calf kicks just happened to work and be super effective. But Dustin's gameplan was to get outta the first round, shoot some takedowns, and wear down Conor, and then frankly do whatever he wants...

Dustin doesn't even need leg kicks to beat him. Conrat won't knock him out. It's just a matter of time before he gasses.

Conor goes for broke in rounds 1/2 or he gets beat again. Closing the holes in his game (first it was cardio, now it's fucking calf kicks) only takes him further away from the deadly one-punch stopping power that lead him to success in the first place. Ngannou didn't have to prepare to fight Stipe for 25 minutes and overcome the 50-45 scorecards of their first fight. He simply shut his lights out early by remembering who he is.

Conor will adapt and KO Dustin again. When Nate beat Conor haters said that Conor can't throw leg kicks because he only knows his karate stance lol.

Simply because mcgregor will make calf kick defense a huge part of his next camp. So it won't have the same impact.

I agree with the second part of your post.. actually that might be dustin gameplan
The thing is, you cannot defend those kicks or having your gampelan to revolve around one aspect of the fight. Only fighters that excel at kicking have the reflex to defend those, and Conor is not Barboza, Aldo or WB. He likes throwing round kicks and that's it.

If Conor make the calf kick as his top priority then it would be his loss once again. What I think Conor would do is more of the same. Put his lead leg on the front and wait for Dustin to enter his range. This same old gampelan, however is not enough simply because Dustin is the better brawler and better at switching stance on the go. I implore anyone to watch that fight again without paying much attention to the calf kicks.

Gameplan: repeatedly punch Conor in the face
Just a straight boxing match is not dustins path to victory. He needs to force grappling exchanges,IMO. I rewatched the fight yesterday (it’s in ESPN+). Upon the rewatch, I was surprised at how much success Conor had in the boxing department. I’m not saying Dustin can’t win that way. But it’s not his best bet.

Probably land the check right hook like he was landing all night in the first fight, same punch that started the beginning of the end for conor. Maybe conor lasts to the third or fourth round this time.

Back