Dustin vs Gaethje COULD be the fight to make in March where BOTH fighters benefit.

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Please be so kind to read through before you respond as you can see how a lot has gone into this and why this is right from a rankings perspective, timing perspective and a beneficial perspective for both fighters.

In case you didn't know Dustin is back in March after his time out he's needed.

I've felt for a while Gaethje seems to be in the spot where everyone talks about fighting him to benefit their career (IE Kevin Lee) but I don't hear much about fights that will benefit Gaethje other than the possible Conor fight which Conor is no doubt fighting Cowboy so that leaves Gaethje (still) without a fight in limbo which he has been for a while now.

However Dustin has agree'd on numerous occasions that he WOULD fight Gaethje which as we know Dustin is very selective over the fights he wants (which is fair enough) however this fight would benefit both as Gaethje would obviously be elevated if he was to win and Dustin beating Gaethje again would push Dustin up a notch in regards to beating one of the toughest guys in the division. It's the best win Dustin could get that's not a rematch with Khabib and they're looking at the Tony and Khabib fight in March also so Dustin fighting Tony or Khabib isn't going to be around that time.

A recent tweet (again) from Dustin saying he will take it back with Gaethje.

Gaethje is the guy that elevates fighters with a defeat but isn't being elevated himself (at moment) and there's not really going to be a spot for a while around March as we have the following:

Conor vs Cowboy (January)
Khabib vs Tony (March)

Both being potential (and likely) fights around that time.

Which is where Dustin vs Gaethje would be the fight to make around March also to benefit both guys.

Thoughts, I would love to hear what you guys think but this makes perfect sense to me, specially from a timing perspective AND rankings to benefit either fighter in win or loss.

It just makes a lot of sense to me but I would love to hear what you guys think.

Just to add just seen these tweets after I wrote the post.

7CbNiJH.gif

gxZ3ofX.gif

As I say, both these guys elevate each other and this would be the perfect headliner for a main event in or around March.

Idk man, personally I'd rather see some fresh matchups, although their first fight was amazing.

Btw I am not sure why you assume Conor vs Cowboy is a done deal. I'll believe it when I see it afaic.

Nah Gaethje needs to fight Khabib and I don't want him to lose to Poirier and derail that.

They've already fought.

I would like some fresh blood for both of them.

Gaethje v Khabib is the only fight anyone cares about currently.

Idk man, personally I'd rather see some fresh matchups, although their first fight was amazing.

Btw I am not sure why you assume Conor vs Cowboy is a done deal. I'll believe it when I see it afaic.

Well put it this way Conor is supposed to be fighting January 18th, thing is the whole Conor thing is bullshit anyway and ruins conversations, he's not going to fight Dustin anyway and if he wanted to fight Gaethje we'd know by now.

The sooner he gets back in the better instead of holding up the rankings all the time.

There's no other fights for a while that will benefit both Dustin and Gaethje other than this, they're already looking for an aiming Khabib and Tony for March (even if it's not March that is the fight they're making) and Conor as above.

Dustin is also back in March and very selective with his fights, he's not going to fight Tony or Khabib anytime soon (or Conor) so it really is the only fight to make.

And it will be good too, Justin Gaethje now is not the same Justin Gaethje he was when they last fought and neither is Dustin really so it will be pretty much a fresh fight.

Gaethje v Khabib is the only fight anyone cares about currently.

But that's not going to happen anytime soon, it's just not.

Khabib and Tony are primary and that's not going to be until around March, which would mean god knows how long until Khabib fights again.

That would mean Gaethje is sitting around for pretty much most of next year.

Plus, how do we know Tony isn't going to beat Khabib? I know the odd's and all that but we still don't know.

Gaethje clearly wants (and needs) a fight right now that will benefit him to where he wants to go, hence the Conor thing (which ain't gonna happen).

Last edited:
where is he at? 30 oct and it looks like christmas is next weekend outside

Here's the problem.

1) Fans tend to dislike rematches
2) If Poirier wins, he ain't fighting Khabib again any time soon

So I don't know who Poirier wants/deserves/accepts/gets. He's in bit of a 'odd man out' situation right now.

But I say give Gaethje to one of the lower top 10 guys he hasn't fought (Hooker or Lee come to mind) with a semi-guaranteed title shot if he wins.

Nah Gaethje needs to fight Khabib and I don't want him to lose to Poirier and derail that.

As above, unless you want Gaethje to be inactive until middle of next year at least.

The dude wants to fight, Poirier wants to fight, we're not going to have anything otherwise for both these guys around that time (Dustin won't really take many fights either)

No thank you, The fight was great but I rather have both fight different people at this point

where is he at? 30 oct and it looks like christmas is next weekend outside

What lol :D

Here's the problem.

1) Fans tend to dislike rematches
2) If Poirier wins, he ain't fighting Khabib again any time soon

So I don't know who Poirier wants/deserves/accepts/gets. He's in bit of a no man's land right now.

But I say give Gaethje to one of the lower top 10 guys he hasn't fought (Hooker or Lee come to mind) with a semi-guaranteed title shot if he wins.

I don't mind rematches if they are good fights and feel relevant which as per everything I wrote in the OP it really is.

Also Dustin vs Gaethje right now is a completely different fight, specially since we've all seen (and said) how Gaethje has fought recently too.

Who else is Poirier going to fight? He won't take Dan Hooker, I doubt he'd take Kevin Lee all of a sudden, none of them will benefit or elevate him as much as it would if he beat Gaethje.

I don't think it's fair to constantly give Gaethje fighters like Lee and Hooker all the time, what does beating Kevin Lee do for Gaethje right now? Not a lot, just because Kevin Lee beat Gillespie recently (in a fantastic way of course) but he's not elevating people like Geathje or doing anything for him (yet) until Lee wins another good fight or so.

It's a great sentiment if they were to give him a guaranteed title shot from that it's unlikely they would do that off the back of those wins (if they did, great).

It's always the case is this with Gaethje lately, talking about fighters to fight him that does more for them than it does Gaethje, I know there has to be give and take here (like Al Iaquinta was) but I think Gaethje has earned his stripes right now.

But that's not going to happen anytime soon, it's just not.

Khabib and Tony are primary and that's not going to be until around March, which would mean god knows how long until Khabib fights again.

That would mean Gaethje is sitting around for pretty much most of next year.

Plus, how do we know Tony isn't going to beat Khabib? I know the odd's and all that but we still don't know.

Gaethje clearly wants (and needs) a fight right now that will benefit him to where he wants to go, hence the Conor thing (which ain't gonna happen).
Tbh, I completely forgot about Tony. Tony v Khabib is the only fight anyone wants. Gaejthe should fight the winner

Snowy as fuck outside and it was posted 30 oct. I know saw that it was posted from Vail, Colorado, so there's my answer!

You're on about Dustin posting his update saying he wants to fight in March? What you on about lol

He's posted that 2nd November.

Tbh, I completely forgot about Tony. Tony v Khabib is the only fight anyone wants. Gaejthe should fight the winner

100%!!!!

This is what I mean, that's not going to be until March so Gaethje isn't going to fight the winner until at least mid next year or something :)

You're on about Dustin posting his update saying he wants to fight in March? What you on about lol

He's posted that 2nd November.

Really not sure how you still are misinterpreting what I am saying but anyways. He posted a video of him on oct 30. With a bunch of snow in the background. I was curious to where he was because it was oct 30 and a bunch of snow in the background.

I’m ok with it. Gaejthe would be smarter to sit out and wait for a title shot though. He can always fight Dustin after that, it’s not worth the risk of losing that big pay day. He’s got a pretty good shot at beating Khabib or Tony too.

Really not sure how you still are misinterpreting what I am saying but anyways. He posted a video of him on oct 30. With a bunch of snow in the background. I was curious to where he was because it was oct 30 and a bunch of snow in the background.

Oh I'm with you, you didn't explain that though, you said it in very brief sentences lol

"Where's he at" - Where in the video, where in the rankings .... I know what you mean now as I didn't even realise until looking at all three tweets to see the dates they were posted that it was posted on that date.

You know what I was thinking when people use the term snowy like the whole Dana thing, I thought you was on about something like that lol

Anyway I get you, he's probably got his own backyard with an igloo and some penguins or something lol

Back