Dustin vs Gaethje COULD be the fight to make in March where BOTH fighters benefit.

I’m ok with it. Gaejthe would be smarter to sit out and wait for a title shot though. He can always fight Dustin after that, it’s not worth the risk of losing that big pay day. He’s got a pretty good shot at beating Khabib or Tony too.

Yeah, the only downside with that is it will probably be quite a long time and Gaethje seems to want to fight now.

If he wanted to sit out that's fair enough but if Khabib and Tony fight around March (which they're hoping to do) that means Gaethje isn't going to fight until ... middle of next year maybe?

If I am Gaethje I am sitting out and seeing how Khabib/Tony plays out or if Conor comes back into the mix

Gaethje's stock is high right now and is a Tony injury or something away from a title shot

and Dustin would have to go on a significant run to sniff a title shot again

plus Gaethje might be arguably the toughest stylistic match for Khabib in the entire division. I would probably favor Gaethje TBH

If I am Gaethje I am sitting out and seeing how Khabib/Tony plays out or if Conor comes back into the mix

Gaethje's stock is high right now and is a Tony injury or something away from a title shot

and Dustin would have to go on a significant run to sniff a title shot again

Well yeah, I guess if Dustin is looking at coming back in March if Tony did happen to pull out for some reason we'd fine out by that point, hopefully lol

Dustin is difficult though because he won't take many fights, only those that excite him or give him the shot it seems.

Well yeah, I guess if Dustin is looking at coming back in March if Tony did happen to pull out for some reason we'd fine out by that point, hopefully lol

Dustin is difficult though because he won't take many fights, only those that excite him or give him the shot it seems.

Dustin might be out of luck

Fans don't want to see Dustin vs. Khabib 2. It doesnt look like he would fight Tony (and Tony would be dumb to take that fight)

... and Gaethje vs. Dustin doesn't make sense the way the momentum of their careers are going ATM, with Gaethje also being dumb to take that fight

Dustin would have to pray Conor vs. Cowboy doesn't happen and maybe he can fight one of them

Other than that... Kevin Lee is about all thats left

if no one sits out, the best scenario for everyone is:
Tony vs. Khabib
Cowboy vs. Dustin
Conor vs. Gaethje

Ya but he's doing that to himself. So don't bend the entire division backwards just to meet his needs.

A fight will come along that he'll accept. Maybe not this week or this quarter. Or more likely, after sitting a few months he'll be calling UFC, a bit ready and and a bit more willing.

EDIT: in fact, it took me awhile to decide why I was so defensive about this entire OP. Nothing you say is exactly wrong. It's just that your entire premise seems to be from the lens of "what is best for Poirier". If you make "what fight makes the most sense for Poirier" the 4th most important criteria instead of the most important criteria, suddenly this fight makes a lot less sense. That's all. Cheers.

Last edited:
Gaethje definitely should want that 1 back. I'd rather see Gaethje/Felder & DP/Hooker though

Great fight thats good for both. Dustin wins and he’s back in title contention, if he loses not a big deal because Gaethje has been putting in work.

If Garthje wins he gets to avenge a loss and solidify a title shot after Tony.

And the fans also win cause their first was an amazing war

Last edited:
I don't see how this would benefit Poirier if he loses to Gaethje. But with that said I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch between the two.

As above, unless you want Gaethje to be inactive until middle of next year at least.

The dude wants to fight, Poirier wants to fight, we're not going to have anything otherwise for both these guys around that time (Dustin won't really take many fights either)
Yeah, I will definitely watch and give thanks to the Just Bleed God if they book this.

Just a bit afraid Dustin matches up well with Gaethje and might rob us of seeing one of the few possible challenges left for Khabib materialize.

I don't see how this would benefit Poirier if he loses to Gaethje. But with that said I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch between the two.

Back in line for a title shot, especially if Tony wins. What better way to ask for a shot at the champ then by beating the 3 or 4 ranked fighter, especially Gaethje who’s been hot lately.

Last edited:
Please be so kind to read through before you respond as you can see how a lot has gone into this and why this is right from a rankings perspective, timing perspective and a beneficial perspective for both fighters.

In case you didn't know Dustin is back in March after his time out he's needed.

I've felt for a while Gaethje seems to be in the spot where everyone talks about fighting him to benefit their career (IE Kevin Lee) but I don't hear much about fights that will benefit Gaethje other than the possible Conor fight which Conor is no doubt fighting Cowboy so that leaves Gaethje (still) without a fight in limbo which he has been for a while now.

However Dustin has agree'd on numerous occasions that he WOULD fight Gaethje which as we know Dustin is very selective over the fights he wants (which is fair enough) however this fight would benefit both as Gaethje would obviously be elevated if he was to win and Dustin beating Gaethje again would push Dustin up a notch in regards to beating one of the toughest guys in the division. It's the best win Dustin could get that's not a rematch with Khabib and they're looking at the Tony and Khabib fight in March also so Dustin fighting Tony or Khabib isn't going to be around that time.

A recent tweet (again) from Dustin saying he will take it back with Gaethje.

Gaethje is the guy that elevates fighters with a defeat but isn't being elevated himself (at moment) and there's not really going to be a spot for a while around March as we have the following:

Conor vs Cowboy (January)
Khabib vs Tony (March)

Both being potential (and likely) fights around that time.

Which is where Dustin vs Gaethje would be the fight to make around March also to benefit both guys.

Thoughts, I would love to hear what you guys think but this makes perfect sense to me, specially from a timing perspective AND rankings to benefit either fighter in win or loss.

It just makes a lot of sense to me but I would love to hear what you guys think.

Gaethje beats poirier in the rematch. Justin connects early and even if he doesn't ko him changes the entire dynamic of the fight, with all the other things gaethje did well in the first fight still being likely in the rematch. The difference will likely be between the early punishment and the money in the bank leg shots, justin probably runs him out of the gym. Poirier is not a killer power puncher like justin is.

Dustin might be out of luck

Fans don't want to see Dustin vs. Khabib 2. It doesnt look like he would fight Tony (and Tony would be dumb to take that fight)

... and Gaethje vs. Dustin doesn't make sense the way the momentum of their careers are going ATM, with Gaethje also being dumb to take that fight

Dustin would have to pray Conor vs. Cowboy doesn't happen and maybe he can fight one of them

Other than that... Kevin Lee is about all thats left

if no one sits out, the best scenario for everyone is:
Tony vs. Khabib
Cowboy vs. Dustin
Conor vs. Gaethje

I know, I agree with all that except the Gaethje and Dustin thing.

Gaethje wins he not only gets his win back but he's also beaten a higher ranked opponent, no doubt next for title shot. Poirier wins he's got a credible win under his belt also as he's not going to get straight in with Khabib or is he going to get Conor and Tony is a possibility but again that fight wouldn't be for a while if Tony is tied up with Khabib in March before he fights again.

I doubt Conor is going to fight Poirier, he'll avoid him the same way he's avoided Gaethje.

That scenario of fights you mentioned are great but the problem is Conor not fighting Gaethje, if he surprises us and takes that fight then kudos to him but I don't hold my breath.

Ya but he's doing that to himself. So don't bend the entire division backwards just to meet his needs.

A fight will come along that he'll accept. Maybe not this week or this quarter. Or more likely, after sitting a few months he'll be calling UFC, a bit ready and and a bit more willing.

EDIT: in fact, it took me awhile to decide why I was so defensive about this entire OP. Nothing you say is exactly wrong. It's just that your entire premise seems to be from the lens of "what is best for Poirier". If you make "what fight makes the most sense for Poirier" the 4th most important criteria instead of the most important criteria, suddenly this fight makes a lot less sense. That's all. Cheers.

I know, I agree with you in regards to bending the division to your needs. I really like Dustin, I really do but it's not the first time he's been awkward, when Al Iaquinta was 4th in the rankings he was offered all the fight with Tony, Dustin etc... and Tony was out due to legitimate reasons, Conor was being Conor at the time and Dustin said Al's got more chance of selling him a house than getting a fight with him following up with it's either Max, Tony, Khabib, Conor or no one, it made it very difficult which is where Al eventually took the Cowboy fight.

And yeah in regards to the OP, I thought about it a lot and put a lot of rational thought into it so not really what's best for Poirier but Gaethje also because he's got nothing at the moment with Conor avoiding and everyone is always wanting him to fight these up and comers which I don't completely disagree with (obviously there has to be give and take) but I do feel that everyone is always using Gaethje for a step up lately in conversation and nothing ever benefits Gaethje, it's always like "Kevin Lee should fight Gaethje", "Dan Hooker should fight Gaethje", what about Gaethje fighting Poirier (who will accept the fight) and let them main event somewhere with the winner moving closer to the title shot, Gaethje for sure being next in line after whatever happens between Tony and Khabib.

As long as Conor doesn't jump in of course.

Gaethje definitely should want that 1 back. I'd rather see Gaethje/Felder & DP/Hooker though

Yeah and besides we've all said how Gaethje has been a more careful less reckless fighter recently with his wins since, he's been finishing his fights in the first round so Poirier vs Gaethje now would be different and not only that Gaethje was really giving Poirier some shit before that finish so it would be a good fight and a different fight also.

Both those guys are in different places now as fighters than they were a year and half or two years ago however long it was.

Great fight thats good for both. Dustin wins and he’s back in title contention, if he loses not a big deal because Gaethje has been putting in work.

If Garthje wins he gets to avenge a loss and solidify a title shot after Tony.

Ans the fans also win cause their first was an amazing war

Yep, exactly this!!! :)

This is pretty much it and is the best fight that benefits both fighters, nothing else makes more sense than this right now to give the full benefit to both fighters involved.

Because Gaethje has been a legit threat in the division lately, he's had so many first round KO's and has been finishing those fights.

Both these guys are on the way to working towards a title shot so whoever wins would be a step closer to that and derail the other from getting the shot.

As @Celeron mentioned above too, it's pretty much spot on :)

Gaethje beats poirier in the rematch. Justin connects early and even if he doesn't ko him changes the entire dynamic of the fight, with all the other things gaethje did well in the first fight still being likely in the rematch. The difference will likely be between the early punishment and the money in the bank leg shots, justin probably runs him out of the gym. Poirier is not a killer power puncher like justin is.

Yeah, maybe so but you're not wrong here and this is what I mean about how it would be a different fight, Justin Gaethje is a more calculated fighter than he was back then and he's had results from doing so.

He's still Gaethje as he always was but he does have that element now which has been working for him which most of us have noticed.

Yeah, I will definitely watch and give thanks to the Just Bleed God if they book this.

Just a bit afraid Dustin matches up well with Gaethje and might rob us of seeing one of the few possible challenges left for Khabib materialize.

Yeah, I really want to see the Khabib and Gaethje fight too, have for a long time but I guess we have to see if it comes around.

It's just the way it goes sometimes ain't it some fights just don't happen, I'd like to see that but I do reckon Gaethje could beat Dustin too and if he does that would be even better going in for a fight with Khabib, specially after Khabib has just beat Dustin too.

Back in line for a title shot, especially if Tony wins. What better to ask for a shot at the champ then by beating the 3 or 4 ranked fighter, especially Gaethje who’s been hot lately.

Yep, just seen this but you've pretty much nailed it again :)

Yeah, maybe so but you're not wrong here and this is what I mean about how it would be a different fight, Justin Gaethje is a more calculated fighter than he was back then and he's had results from doing so.

He's still Gaethje as he always was but he does have that element now which has been working for him which most of us have noticed.

Gaethje and masvidal have the most improved strategies in the ufc this year and it's funny because mas became more aggressive while gaethje became more calculated. I question whether or not they would win in rematches against guys who beat them whether it be against a weakened chin in wonderboy or a better strategy against a game demian maia, or in justin's case whether hitting that button early on alvarez and poirier changes the dynamic of the fight.

Personally I think gaethje already got that alvarez win back by beating cowboy who out classed alvarez. I thought he could do the same with a win over conor. The only other fight that is interesting is 1.5 round kevin lee vs gaethje, being that lee went 5 rounds with iaquinta and 4 with rda and hopefully his noticeable improvement is another turn around.

Still i think after a back and forth first round, gaethje slows him down with leg kicks and puts him away in the 2nd

Gaethje and masvidal have the most improved strategies in the ufc this year and it's funny because mas became more aggressive while gaethje became more calculated. I question whether or not they would win in rematches against guys who beat them whether it be against a weakened chin in wonderboy or a better strategy against a game demian maia, or in justin's case whether hitting that button early on alvarez and poirier changes the dynamic of the fight.

Personally I think gaethje already got that alvarez win back by beating cowboy who out classed alvarez. I thought he could do the same with a win over conor. The only other fight that is interesting is 1.5 round kevin lee vs gaethje, being that lee went 5 rounds with iaquinta and 4 with rda and hopefully his noticeable improvement is another turn around.

Still i think after a back and forth first round, gaethje slows him down with leg kicks and puts him away in the 2nd

Yeah, you've made some really good points with that from both fighters for sure!!

That's what I mean about how good MMA is because look at how fighters always have these resurgences.

I mean 12 months ago would we have said Mas would be headlining MSG or even a contender for a title shot, we'd have been writing him off to fight even some of the middle ranked fighters who we would now say aren't a patch on Masvidal and even 2 weeks ago with Darren Till and Kevin Lee, we wouldn't have given them the time of day where as now that's turned round and considering how much they were knocked it really goes to show.

It's so good because so many fighters can fight each other with different results, as they say styles make fights and we notice that like with Al for example and then the problems he faced with reachy fighters in Hooker and Cowboy, which is a good thing because he can now work on that strengthen his game against those kind of fighters, something he'd not really ran into before.

Al Iaquinta is no less of a fighter than he was when he was beating Kevin Lee, he's just ran into something that's caused a hole in his game which he can now work on fixing and then be a better and stronger fighter in the meantime :)

gotta remember khabib and Justin are both under management by Ali. And we all know who Ali's golden goose is.

I'm guessing they will wait for khabib to beat tony. khabib retires. Justin fights for vacant belt against tony or conor.

Back