Dustin Poirier would love to share a card with Jorge Masvidal against the Diaz brothers

killer spider

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

Dustin Poirier has a lot of options available to him now that he’s healthy and ready to fight. But unfinished business with Nate Diaz might top his wish list of potential opponents.

“Of course I would love that fight,” Poirier told MMA Fighting. “Not just because of the stuff between me and him leading up to that last fight, but he’s a guy coming up I always wanted to fight. I want to fight guys I’m excited to watch fight. Any time Nate Diaz fights, I’m tuning in, I promise you.”

The ex-interim lightweight champ was previously scheduled to face Diaz in November 2018. But the fight fell apart in the weeks leading up to the event; Diaz clashed with the UFC over his contract, and Poirier was sidelined by a lingering hip issue.

After the bout was cancelled, Diaz went on the offensive whenever Poirier’s name was mentioned, which only added more fuel to the fire when it came to a potential meeting inside the Octagon.

Poirier has personal reasons for wanting to fight Diaz. But nothing trumps his desire to test himself against someone he knows will give him everything he can handle.

“Whether I like the guy or not, I’m a fan,” he said. “I think it would be an incredible fight. That’s why I want to fight him, because I grew up watching the guy fight.”

One highly appealing idea to Poirier is sharing a card with his teammate Jorge Masvidal in a pair of fights against the Diaz brothers. Masvidal dispatched Nate Diaz at UFC 244, and it appeared that his older brother Nick Diaz might be interested in returning from his five-year long hiatus to avenge that loss.

Poirier would gladly take the fight anywhere at any time. But if the UFC could orchestrate an American Top Team versus the Diaz brothers event, it would be even better.

“Let’s do it,” Poirier said. “I train with Jorge, so it makes sense. American Top Team versus the Nick Diaz Academy. They can bring Kron Gracie, we have some 145-pounders who can run it with him. We’ve got Charles Rosa, we’ve got Renato Moicano, we got a squad. I think that would be great.”

More than anything, Poirier is just excited to get back into action after having hip surgery last year that took him out of the gym for several months. He just recently returned to training, and the Louisiana native is anxiously awaiting word from the UFC on his next fight.

It’s impossible to know if Diaz will be the opponent he’s offered. But Poirier is obviously ready to make it happen, even if it happens in a different weight class.

“I’d fight Nate at 170 (pounds), or 155, or we can make it at 165 and go there,” Poirier stated. “I would definitely do it. Not have to cut a little bit of weight to make it. I’m not a small guy.”

“I’m all for it. Let’s call (UFC matchmaker) Sean Shelby and the UFC right now.”

It’s been clear as day for the last few months Dustin is looking for 1-2 decent pay days and he’s done. Nothing wrong with that either. That’s his right.

Would definitely watch. But the UFC doesn’t have enough money to pay all of them.

Sherdog is the #1 site for fans and even fighters alike to brouse and see what people are saying. Their rankings are underwhelming ( whoever heads that department) and as far as " mma news" goes, mma junkie is thee site that " usually" announces things first and in an accurate manner.

Where is this Nick Diaz fighting thing coming from ? ..... and I hear its sooner than later ( lol ).

If I've missed something, bad on me but........ ???

I love how Dustin sees Nate as an easy win but I gotta say Nate will probably win most likely.

dustin poirier beat diaz 100 per cent ... to beat poirier you need either KO power or 5 rounds elite wrestling, diaz has none.

I’d like to see this fight. Nate doesn’t have many fights left that really peak my interest. This is one of them.

Give the Diaz bro's whatever they want. They are pioneers of the sport that had most of their careers stolen by fkn marijuana testing.

You wanna see a card break all records? Put the Diaz brothers on it.

Nate needs to retire; the prime version of him would beat Dustin but he probably gets knocked out nowadays.

He looked like a broken shell of himself in his last fight, and this is coming from someone who expected Jorge to son him.

Dustin had his chance and chickened out. As far as I'm concerned, Nate already beat him.

I would expect Piorier to win. Much more power in the stand-up and he has the cardio and ground game to combat the Diaz gas tank and BJJ skills. Piorier is also the stronger fighter if the fight has much clinching or wrestling.

dustin poirier beat diaz 100 per cent ... to beat poirier you need either KO power or 5 rounds elite wrestling, diaz has none.
lol
Nate needs to retire; the prime version of him would beat Dustin but he probably gets knocked out nowadays.
He looked like a broken shell of himself in his last fight, and this is coming from someone who expected Jorge to son him.
lol yeah he has a history of getting knocked out eh? lol

this fight and Jorge vs Nick on the same card would be all sorts of awesome potential

lol

this fight and Jorge vs Nick on the same card would be all sorts of awesome potential
Take enough damage, and your chin will crack eventually.

Nate looked horrible against Pettis too, but it so happened that Pettis looked even worse (broken foot?)

I think that's a great idea but I recall Nick saying he wouldn't want to fight on a card with his brother because he would be too invested and distracted by his brothers fight.

Hes surprisingly smart at times because that does sound like a bad idea

lol

'lol' arguments ?

I like this fight at 170 and 5 rounds. It needs to headline its own card to get 5 rounds. At 3 rounds and 155 Dustin would kill Nate via KO. Since Dustin mentioned 170 and Nate is comfortable there with a huge gas tank , I feel the extra weight on the FW frame of Dustin May slow him down and certainly drain him in the later rounds. Please UFC make this fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back