Dumb noob question

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Bruce Calavera, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Bruce Calavera

Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

So I've always been told that power comes from body rotation which makes perfect sense to me. What I'm curious about is that whenever I watch any high level boxer shadow box it seems like there is very little body movement and only arm movement. Is the body movement just so subtle that I can't pick up on it or is there something that I'm missing from the equation? Thanks

2. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

It's going to vary.

Most of the time the body rotation isn't that pronounced so it's easy to miss. In other situations there may not be any rotation at all (there was another thread about arm punching somewhere).

But the important thing is that in most cases, body rotation is not going to be a very large telegraphed movement, it will be subtle and easy to miss because over rotation will increase your chances of being out of position to return to a defensive posture.

3. mikecello

mikecello ...in bed belt

When I rotate my hips I generate a lot more power than if I just pop my shoulders. Same with my kicks. I'm assuming in boxing they just disguise it well, but I see your point.

4. BrokenNose

BrokenNose Orange Belt

I've also wondered about this.

Maybe it's because they're just warming up with a rhythm? Or maybe they just focus on visualizing an opponent...

I don't know anything.

5. mikecello

mikecello ...in bed belt

It could also be a matter of being quick. A lot of strikes are simply used as set ups, just throwing stuff out there to administer a response. If I was throwing a jab to gauge range or a method of defense against a guy, I'm not following through with my hips.

6. NuTzOnSwOll

NuTzOnSwOll Purple Belt

you guessed correct.

7. 663

663 White Belt

shadow boxing is about form, most parts boxers will use explosive speed while trying to keep form right.