Drug Testing In UFC Compared To Other Promotions

Once again, if The UFC were trying to put theirselves out of business, they couldn't have chosen a more effective way. WWE does drug testing but they do it reasonably....they don't let it destroy their company.

I agree, and on top of that I don't even understand why people say drug testing "legitimizes" the sport as if that matters in any way. Sports are entertainment, not a medical pocedure.

The Olympics are full of heavily drug tested "legitimate" sports that draw pathetic TV ratings. Baseball's best ratings were during its steroid era and dropped immediately after they started stricter drug testing. America's most popular sport features 300 lb. roided monsters trying to kill each other...etc. etc.

If the facts tell us one thing, it's that strict drug testing hurts the popularity of ANY sport.

I agree, and on top of that I don't even understand why people say drug testing "legitimizes" the sport as if that matters in any way. Sports are entertainment, not a medical pocedure.

The Olympics are full of heavily drug tested "legitimate" sports that draw pathetic TV ratings. Baseball's best ratings were during its steroid era and dropped immediately after they started stricter drug testing. America's most popular sport features 300 lb. roided monsters trying to kill each other...etc. etc.

If the facts tell us one thing, it's that strict drug testing hurts the popularity of ANY sport.

Exactly. pro sports are first and foremost entertainment. If they didn't entertain, people wouldn't pay to see it!

There is no way anyone can honestly believe that are millions of people just waiting to become avid UFC viewers just as soon as the sport is 100% drug free. The type of people who watch a sport where the objective is to hurt your opponent aren't the type of people who are overly concerned with the health of the fighters. If the fighters were overly concerned with their own health they wouldn't ever become professional cage fighters! Banning drugs which speed up recovery from injuries is particularly stupid. It's not only stupid, it's cruel.

It has nothing to do with whether they're intentional or not, they're inevitable in both sports.

It absolutely does. Intent always matters in court. If I intentionally punch my neighbor in the face and cause him a concussion I will get a much stiffer court sentence than if I accidentally hit him too hard and caused a concussion while playing flag football.

The NFL is essentially being sued for negligence, as they knew of the long term risks of concussions, they knew of the high rate of concussions in the NFL, and they did nothing to lessen those risks or warn players

Yes, the football players can use this argument because the football players aren't trying to cause concussions. Fighters are literally trying to cause a concussion. Again, you can't argue that you didn't understand that MMA causes concussions, when you're actively trying to cause a concussion.

The NFL can mitigate the effects of concussions by sitting concussed players. A lawsuit against the commissions would be similar, did they know of the risks, and if so did they do enough to prevent/mitigate those risks. The commissions can mitigate the risk by giving appropriate no-contact medical suspensions, rather than woefully inadequate ones, and conducting more in-depth medical screening for previously/recently concussed fighters.

The UFC could get in shit over the Lesnar test, but not just because he tested positive. They'd get in shit for subverting their own program and only getting him tested for one month. Hunt would have a case either way against Lesnar (as he took the prohibited substance(s) ), but likely only against the UFC on the grounds that they undermined their own program. Otherwise it would show that the UFC had acted in good faith to try to eliminate the somewhat increased risk posed by PEDs, by implementing a strict testing program of their own free will.

If the rules allow for a fighter to intentionationally concuss another fighter, claiming to have a strict drug testing policy is a laughable defense. It's the equivalent of a man being convicted of murder but saying, "yeah but at least I shot them instead of stabbing them so they didn't suffer as much."

Last edited:
because dana and lorenzo wanted to sell the ufc, so they improved their image with USADA and now 4 billion in the bank, that's why
Where is Pride now?

Theres your answer

rizin-ff.jpg

and folded because of yakuza shit, and not the drug testing

BS. The UFC is a promotion, the NFL is a league. Remind me again of how many boxers have sued Top Rank or Don King over CTE?
Did I say in the past or the future?
Did we have all these scientific studies about the long term damage of CTE in the past or is all this stuff just now starting to become a big deal?
You can sit there and be close minded if you want but if you really think that theres not gonna be a pretty big backlash against violent sports in the next few decades then you might wanna pay a little attention to the world around you
It might stop you from making such amazingly insightful comments such as "ones a league the others a promotion"

because dana and lorenzo wanted to sell the ufc, so they improved their image with USADA and now 4 billion in the bank, that's why

rizin-ff.jpg

and folded because of yakuza shit, and not the drug testing

the point being, if a company wants to be a success going forward they have to be forward thinking.. UFC were, Pride werent.

I dont think Rizin look forward much further than the next card either. No long term plan

Did I say in the past or the future?
Did we have all these scientific studies about the long term damage of CTE in the past or is all this stuff just now starting to become a big deal?
You can sit there and be close minded if you want but if you really think that theres not gonna be a pretty big backlash against violent sports in the next few decades then you might wanna pay a little attention to the world around you
It might stop you from making such amazingly insightful comments such as "ones a league the others a promotion"

Any backlash will come against the rules themselves, not the drug testing policy. The NFL already proved that.

The rules allow you to punch/kick another person in the head. They encourage it. That's where liability starts and ends. Please tell me you're not delusional enough to think the UFC can use the old, "yeah sure we let them beat themselves into CTE and encouraged it with bonuses, but hey, at least they did it PED free!" as an intelligent defense.

Any backlash will come against the rules themselves, not the drug testing policy. The NFL already proved that.

The rules allow you to punch/kick another person in the head. They encourage it. That's where liability starts and ends. Please tell me you're not delusional enough to think the UFC can use the old, "yeah sure we let them beat themselves into CTE and encouraged it with bonuses, but hey, at least they did it PED free!" as an intelligent defense.
What does intelligence have to do with convincing a jury and trying to make yourself look better to the public at large?
Its all about public perception and it looks a lot better when you can show that you've legitimately tried to regulate drugs out of your sport rather than allowing steroided up monsters to roam free and destroy each other
Public perception my friend, its the only thing that matters

What does intelligence have to do with convincing a jury and trying to make yourself look better to the public at large?
Its all about public perception and it looks a lot better when you can show that you've legitimately tried to regulate drugs out of your sport rather than allowing steroided up monsters to roam free and destroy each other
Public perception my friend, its the only thing that matters

Not true. The NFL is adored by the public, but are on the hook for billions due to CTE.

"Public perception is all that matters," really? The court system is specifically designed to administer justice independent of public perception.

Not true. The NFL is adored by the public, but are on the hook for billions due to CTE.

"Public perception is all that matters," really? The court system is specifically designed to administer justice independent of public perception.
Tell that to the tobacco companies

And the NFL understands that the public wont love it as much as more and more generations of players are shown to have CTE which is why theyre changing their sport
Not sure why its so hard to understand that its not about today its about the future

Tell that to the tobacco companies

And the NFL understands that the public wont love it as much as more and more generations of players are shown to have CTE which is why theyre changing their sport
Not sure why its so hard to understand that its not about today its about the future

Ok, Devils advocate then: if the UFC completely eliminates all drug use, what is there to prevent anyone from getting CTE or suing because they got CTE?

The rules and UFC policies ENCOURAGE fighters to attempt to concuss one another. Could you explain how the UFC's liability for CTE would be lessened by anything when they actively encourage fighters to concuss each other?

Drug testing in the UFC is not as strict as with most of the other major sports, that's a fact. They want to give the illusion of legitimacy. ALl the sherdoggers lap it up like the lapdogs you are. Hook line and sinker. With Dana posters hanging from the wall.

Ok, Devils advocate then: if the UFC completely eliminates all drug use, what is there to prevent anyone from getting CTE or suing because they got CTE?

The rules and UFC policies ENCOURAGE fighters to attempt to concuss one another. Could you explain how the UFC's liability for CTE would be lessened by anything when they actively encourage fighters to concuss each other?
Ive already explained my point several times yours just trying to argue now
Good day sir

Where is Pride now?

Theres your answer

You'd have to be a moron to think that that PRIDE doesn;t exist anymore because they didn't drug test their athletes. This will probably come as a shock to you but PRIDE went under because they lost their TV deal because of Yakuza involvement. TV rules. There isn;t a promotion in the world that could surpass The UFC the way PRIDE did without a TV deal. There's your answer except mine has facts to back it up whereas yours is just hogwash.

Ive already explained my point several times yours just trying to argue now
Good day sir

Yes I am trying to argue because your point makes no sense, it's basically "drug testing is good for public perception, therefore it is necessary for potential CTE lawsuits."

I've already explained that the public in general doesn't care about drug testing, and the UFC will be on the hook for CTE regardless of their drug testing policies. Do you care to address those points or do you just wanna repeat your opinions again?

Back