Dragonlord's Most Anticipated Films of 2013

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
January 1, 2013

Dragonlord's Top 25 Most Anticipated Films of 2013

Happy New Year to everyone! With the start of the new year, I thought I might do again my

Last edited:
25. ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND CONTINUES [December 20, 2013]

Anchorman-Legend-Continues-Dragonlord-1.jpg

After years of trying to get the sequel off the ground, Ron Burgundy and the Channel 4 Evening News reporters are back! Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Paull Rudd, Christina Appplegate, David Koechner and writer-director Adam McKay (The Other Guys, Step Brothers, Talladega Nights) are all set to return for the comedy sequel. The story will once again center on some of San Diego’s zaniest newspeople, but will now see them amid the culture of the 24-hour news cycle and a plot involving a custody battle for Ron Burgundy’s child. The film is going to feature at least one musical sequence with a bit more movement to it than the first film's "Afternoon Delight." Kristen Wiig will be playing Steve Carell’s love interest.

Want to know more? Anchorman: The Legend Continues Official Thread

Last edited:
24. THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG [December 13, 2013]

Hobbit-Desolation-2013-Dragonlord-1.jpg

The Desolation of Smaug is the second chapter in Peter Jackson's epic The Hobbit trilogy. I've never read the book and had only a vague recollection of the 1977 animated film but I found An Unexpected Journey to be a very entertaining family fantasy adventure tale. I'm looking forward to finally seeing Smaug (voiced by the awesome Benedict Cumberbatch) in action. And from the looks of the first image above, Bilbo is smack right in the middle of the gold pile of the vicious dragon. But I'll be very disappointed if Gandalf bails the dwarfs out again every time they're in a jam in the sequel.

Want to know more? The Hobbit Trilogy Official Thread

Last edited:
23. THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES [March 29, 2013]

Place-Beyond-Pines-2013-Dragonlord-1.jpg

Written and directed by Derek Cianfrance (Blue Valentine), The Place Beyond the Pines centers on the intense feud between a professional motorcycle rider turned bank robber (Ryan Gosling) and a rookie police officer (Bradley Cooper). The crime drama premiered at the Toronto Film Festival last September to a mostly positive response. Gosling won a lot of Sherdog fans as the quiet stuntman driver in Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive and Pines will certainly elevate his star status and increase his man-crush followers. But it's Bradley Cooper's somber turn as a honorable rookie cop who is forced to confront corruption in the police department that's got me hooked. The film also stars Eva Mendes, Ray Liotta and Dane DeHaan (Chronicle).

Want to know more? The Place Beyond the Pines Official Thread (under construction)

Last edited:
22. THE INCREDIBLE BURT WONDERSTONE [March 29, 2013]

Burt-Wonderstone-1-Dragonlord.jpg

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone centers on a Las Vegas magician (Steve Carell) who breaks up with his partner (Steve Buscemi) and is then upstaged by a hipper magician (Jim Carrey) doing dangerous and crowd-drawing tricks. Olivia Wilde, James Gandolfini and Alan Arkin also star. The premise and trailer are funny and the cast gathered is amazing. Carrey and Carell are reunited after their first feature film together in Bruce Almighty. Buscemi's new look cracks me up and Arkin is hilarious as the elder magician.

Last edited:
21. JACK THE GIANT SLAYER [March 22, 2013]

Jack-the-Giant-Slayer-0-Dragonlord.jpg

Director Bryan Singer's (X-Men 2, The Usual Suspects) fantasy adventure Jack the Giant Slayer tells the story of an ancient war that is reignited when a young farmhand (Nicholas Hoult) unwittingly opens a gateway between our world and a fearsome race of giants. The film also stars Eleanor Tomlinson, Ewan McGregor, Stanley Tucci, Ian McShane, Bill Nighy and, Blitz55's favorite actor, Warwick Davis. The film was initially scheduled for a summer 2012 release but was pushed back to give the studio more time to work on the special effects. I'm a sucker for giant monsters and fantasy settings, so I'm in. Bryan Singer lost a lot of goodwill from me ever since he made the uber-disappointing Superman Returns. So I'm also intrigued how he does with this film.

20. THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE [November 22, 2013]

Hunger-Catching-Fire-Set-2013-Dragonlord-1.jpg

A year ago, I would have been surprised to see this on my "most anticipated list" but I enjoyed the first film and looking forward to how the story will unfold. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire begins as Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) has returned home safe after winning the 74th Annual Hunger Games along with fellow tribute Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson). Winning means that they must turn around and leave their family and close friends, embarking on a “Victor’s Tour” of the districts. Along the way Katniss senses that a rebellion is simmering, but the Capitol is still very much in control as President Snow (Donald Sutherland) prepares the 75th Annual Hunger Games (The Quarter Quell) – a competition that could change Panem forever. Francis Lawrence (I Am Legend) directs.

Want to know more? The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Official Thread

19. GANGSTER SQUAD [January 11, 2013]

Gangster-Squad-00-Dragonlord.jpg

A chronicle of the LAPD's fight to keep East Coast Mafia types out of Los Angeles in the 1940s and 50s as six police officers and detectives must protect the law by breaking it, taking on Mickey Cohen and his gang. Gangster Squad reminds me a lot of The Untouchables and L.A. Confidential (one of my top favorite films ever) and with the stellar cast assembled, it's no wonder the film is in my list. It's such a shame the film's release got pushed back from September 7, 2012 to January 11, 2013 due to the Aurora theater shooting. Hopefully they won't alter a key scene involving a shooting in Grauman's Chinese Theatre. Directed by Ruben Fleischer (Zombieland), the film stars Sean Penn, Ryan Gosling, Josh Brolin, Emma Stone, Anthony Mackie, Michael Pe

18. THE WOLVERINE [July 26, 2013]

The-Wolverine-Bone-Claw-Dragonlord-1.jpg

Let me preface that the 2009 X-Men Origins: Wolverine is one of the worst modern comic book films I've seen. With that said, how the hell is the sequel in my list. The primary reason is the new film is loosely based on one of my favorite comic book stories during my childhood - the classic 1982 Wolverine mini-series by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller, where Logan travels to Japan, fights ninjas (before ninjas became cool and then corny) and falls in love. Granted the script underwent some rewrites, the first script was hailed by original director Darren Aronofsky as "the best superhero script I've ever read." Hugh Jackman returns to play the adamantium-clawed mutant and James Mangold (3:10 to Yuma, Walk the Line, Cop Land) directs.

Want to know more? The Wolverine Official Thread

17. WARM BODIES [February 1, 2013]

Warm-Bodies-Evolution-0-Dragonlord.jpg

Ever since I read the plot for the zombie comedy Warm Bodies in 2011, I've been constantly saying that the premise sounds like a lot of fun and it could be the Edward Scissorhands of this generation. My conviction only solidified when I saw the charming first trailer. Directed by Jonathan Levine (50/50), the film stars Nicholas Hoult as a zombie named “R” who starts to act more human than zombie when he encounters Julie (Teresa Palmer). Levine showed a great deal of talent with 50/50 starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and everything we’ve seen thus far promises an original take with a tongue-in-cheek tone on what’s become a clich

16. FAST AND FURIOUS 6 [May 24, 2013]

Fast-and-Furious-6-Set-Dragonlord.jpg

Though I found them mildly entertaining, I was never a big fan of The Fast and the Furious films. But with the addition of Dwayne Johnson in Fast Five, shifting the story away from the confines of the underground street-racing culture into a heist movie and coupled with some of the craziest breathtaking action scenes, not only did it inject new life into the franchise, it was one of the most fun movies I've seen in 2011. The gang is all back for the sixth installment and the new film promises to be more exciting than ever with Joe Taslim (The Raid) and former Strikeforce Women's Champion Gina Carano joining the cast. Just don't let Carano wear a wetsuit please. Directed by Justin Lin (Fast Five), the film stars Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Dwayne Johnson, Jordana Brewster, Luke Evans, Michelle Rodriguez, Ludacris, Tyrese Gibson, and Sung Kang.

Fast and Furious 6 Official Thread

15. ENDER'S GAME [November 1, 2013]

Enders-Game-2013-Dragonlord-1.jpg

Orson Scott Card

14. SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR [October 4, 2013]

Sin-City-Dame-Logo-Dragonlord.jpg

Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller return to direct Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, the follow-up to Sin City from a script by Miller and William Monahan based on a pre-existing comic story of the same name along with a few new ones. Clive Owen, Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Jamie Chung, Rosario Dawson, and Michael Madsen are all expected to return with newcomers Alexa Vega (Spy Kids) and Dennis Haysbert (24). Prod2821 will be closely monitoring this film since Frank Miller is rumored (mostly started by Anung Un Rama) to direct the Justice League movie in 2015.

Want to know more? Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Official Thread (under construction)

13. THE COUNSELOR [No release date yet]

The-Counselor-Set-Fassbender-DLX-1.jpg

Directed by Ridley Scott and written by Cormac McCarthy (author of The Road and No Country for Old Men), the crime drama is set along the Mexican border and features a well-meaning attorney (Michael Fassbender) who makes a deal with a rich businessman (Javier Bardem) and a shady dealer (Brad Pitt) to transport cocaine for some easy money. Things don’t go as planned in the dialogue-heavy, violent and racy script. The movie is described as "No Country for Old Men on steroids." The film also stars Pen

12. NOW YOU SEE ME [June 7, 2013]

Now-You-See-Me-2013a-Dragonlord.jpg

Now You See Me centers on an illusionist troupe that pulls off bank heists in the middle of their bewildering performances, then gives the loot to the audience. The cast includes Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo, Morgan Freeman, Isla Fischer, Dave Franco, Melanie Laurent, and Michael Caine. I was already intrigued by the premise when they started casting in 2011 but the trailer, which was a cross between Ocean's Eleven and The Prestige finally won me over. Director Louise Leterrier past films (The Incredible Hulk, Clash of the Titans) doesn't really wow me but the cast and story for this film look to be so formidable that it's hard not to feel optimistic.

11. WORLD WAR Z [June 21, 2013]

World-War-Z-a-Dragonlord.jpg

Marc Foster's (Quantum of Solace) World War Z revolves around United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt), who traverses the world in a race against time to stop the Zombie pandemic that is toppling armies and governments and threatening to decimate humanity itself. I haven't read the popular novel the movie is loosely based on and wasn't really looking forward to the film adaptation but the fantastic trailer won me over. They really sold the movie as epic-looking as we see a sea of ravenous zombies overwhelm everything in its path as well as some innovative shots of the undead forming a zombie pyramid. The big-budget adaptation has been plagued with problems from release date shuffling, to extensive reshoots, to a last-minute hustle for a third act rewrite from Drew Goddard (The Cabin in the Woods).

Want to know more? World War Z Official Thread

10. RIDDICK [September 6, 2013]

Riddick-2013-Dragonlord-1.jpg

One of my favorite sci-fi horror films, 2000's Pitch Black was a sleeper hit back then and catapulted Vin Diesel's career as an action star. Though the Chronicles of Riddick was a bit of a letdown due to the new unsuitable mythology and tone shift from horror to action-adventure, the sequel was still entertaining with numerous great action scenes. The third film, simply titled Riddick, promises to go back to its grounded roots where the anti-hero is betrayed by the Necromongers and left for dead on a sun-scorched planet where he fights for his survival against deadly alien predators and bounty-hungry mercenaries. Directed by David Twohy (Pitch Black), the R-rated film stars Vin Diesel, Karl Urban, Jordi Molla, Katee Sackhoff, Bokeem Woodbine, Dave Bautista.

Want to know more? Riddick Official Thread

9. OBLIVION [Apri 12 on IMAX; April 19 general release]

Oblivion-Image-Dragonlord.jpg

Joseph Kosinki's (TRON: Legacy) Oblivion centers on Jack Harper (Cruise), one of the last few drone repairmen stationed on Earth. Part of a massive operation to extract vital resources after decades of war with a terrifying threat known as the Scavs, Jack’s mission is nearly complete. Living in and patrolling the breathtaking skies from thousands of feet above, his soaring existence is brought crashing down when he rescues a beautiful stranger (Olga Kurylenko) from a downed spacecraft. Her arrival triggers a chain of events that forces him to question everything he knows and puts the fate of humanity in his hands. Cruise in science fiction thriller films has a good track record (Minority Report, War of the Worlds) and Oblivion looks amazing. The film's opening reminds me a lot of I Am Legend and Wall-E. Academy Award-winning scribes William Monahan (The Departed) and Michael Arndt (Little Miss Sunshine) helped polished Kosinski's script. Also starring Andrea Riseborough, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, and Morgan Freeman.

Want to know more? Joseph Kosinski's Oblivion Official Thread

Last edited:
8. THIS IS THE END [June 14, 2013]

This-is-the-End-2013-Dragonlord-1.jpg

The apocalyptic comedy This Is The End follows six friends trapped in a house after a series of strange and catastrophic events devastate Los Angeles. As the world unravels outside, dwindling supplies and cabin fever threaten to tear apart the friendships inside. Eventually, they are forced to leave the house, facing their fate and the true meaning of friendship and redemption. Directed by Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen, the film stars Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco, Jonah Hill, Craig Robinson, Danny McBride, Jason Segel, Michael Cera, Emma Watson, David Krumholtz, and Paul Rudd. If the movie is as hilarious as the red band trailer, then we're in for a treat. I especially love the fact that everybody is playing a version of themselves in the film and the promise of funny celebrity deaths sounds too delicious to pass up.

7. ELYSIUM [August 9, 2013]

Elysium-Damon-2013-Dragonlord-1.jpg

In 2009, the world was in awed by a modestly-budgeted sci-fi pic titled District 9 and immediately put writer-director Neill Blomkamp on the map. His follow-up feature film, the sci-fi thriller Elysium, looks like it's going to be another winner. In the year 2159, two classes of people exist: the very wealthy, who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined Earth. Secretary Rhodes (Jodie Foster) will stop at nothing to preserve the luxurious lifestyle of the citizens of Elysium - but that doesn't stop the people of Earth from trying to get in by any means they can.

Max (Matt Damon) is hit with radiation poisoning and will die in five days. The only way to save his life is to get to Elysium. His ticket to Elysium is to join a heist where he and two co-horts plan to download important information directly out of a guy’s brain (William Fichtner). Max is basically turned into cyborg in order to be able to extract the information from Fichtner’s character. However, Rhodes sends down an assassin played by Sharlto Copley to protect the data from Fichtner's brain.

There are a bunch of elements that are in the vein of District 9 such as social disparity, in this case relating to wealth. Dirty environments; the ruined Earth bears a striking resemblance to the dirty Johannesburg from District 9. If you loved how the weapons in District 9 obliterated people, Elysium is going to follow suit.

Want to know more? Neill Blomkamp's Elysium Official Thread (coming soon)

Back