Do's & Don't of Closed guard?

Big Red

Green Belt
Reaction score
You can answer this either being within closed guard or putting closed guard to use. I find it diffucult to say what is right but find it easier to pick up on mistakes & figuring out the way I should act in closed guard or use it.

Please answer as many as possible it'd be very helpful to myself & hopefully others.

Within an opponents Closed Guard

Do make sure that if you are looking to stand up in someone's guard you should control & pin one of their arms to their stomach area & step up on the controlled side to prevent sweep attempts. E.g. Pinning their right hand on their stomach you should look to step up with your left leg first.

Don't post your arms out straight as this will allow your opponent so attack with an array of elbow joint attacks & also take your back.

Using Closed Guard

Do make sure you have control of at least one part of their body or gi. Leaving an opponent free to move if you lay back in guard will make you look as if you are asking to be passed.

Don't leave your legs crossed too low as it will be much easier for your opponent to open/break you guard & then pass. Looking to break their posture by keeping your legs up high & not giving them room to attempt guard breaks.

I'm by no means an experienced grappler but I think if I can look at others do's & don't I can hopefully piece together a better closed guard game plan.

closed guard is boring boring open up your world and enter my domain... I AM SPIDERMAN
DONT Try to submit someone in their closed guard
no matter how you pass keep your posture
if your in their closed guard posture elbws in and grab gi pant

if you have someone in closed guard and your too lazy to hold it goto open and sweep the mats

Those are good tips. Especially the second set.

When your in someone's guard, do not go for their collars. I dont have much to contribute cause im new.

When In Guard

DON'T keep one hand in their guard and one out.

LCDforMe said:
When In Guard

Lol, I learnt that one the hard way

when playing in someone's guard keep a hand planted on their torso to prevent sweeps.

Don't leave your knees close together while in someone's guard, this makes the scissor sweep not only viable, but easy. Don't confuse good base with being completely erect.

When standing up in someone's guard, your feet should be parralel facing one of your opponent's ears (i.e. right and lef foot both point left) when your opponent goes to grab your leg. Which leg your foe grabs determines your positioning.

when in closed guard keep moving your hips so that your opponent has a tough time to pass or do anything.

When you stand up or raise a leg, be prepared for your oponent to go for your leg. You can use this to bait him sometimes.

When you're in someone's guard, if you have to keep your head low, keep it centered on his stomach, don't let him push it to the side.

LCDforMe said:
When In Guard

Or do it when you think your guard pass is faster than his triangle.

On top keep your back straight, head up and elbows in.
On bottom, keep moving and keep their back bent, head down and attack "play" with their arms.

If you are wanting to stall in closed guard:

DO: Reach up and grab their head, or under hook one arm and gable grip behind their neck to keep control of them. This keeps them distracted enough not to try to pass in my experience.

If you are wanting to try new things:

DO: Try out various versions of open guard. I have had good sucess with putting my feet on my opponent's hips, keeping my knees out wide (must be flexible), and control their arms. I like to get a good grip behind the elbow, in the tricept area.

b0b said:
If you are wanting to stall in closed guard:

DO: Reach up and grab their head, or under hook one arm and gable grip behind their neck to keep control of them. This keeps them distracted enough not to try to pass in my experience.

If you are wanting to try new things:

DO: Try out various versions of open guard. I have had good sucess with putting my feet on my opponent's hips, keeping my knees out wide (must be flexible), and control their arms. I like to get a good grip behind the elbow, in the tricept area.

I dont suggest using an arm to under hook them.. Then your setting your self up for a basic choke. Where they wizzer the arm, and go to the far lapel.. then just cross you up And grabbing just one hand ont he head sets you up for an armlock. Where they will bring their knee to your shoulder.. I use that alot actualy.

DO - Posture, stand, and controll the legs..
Dont - Continue to pass once your posture and or grips are broken.

Gsoares2 said:
I dont suggest using an arm to under hook them.. Then your setting your self up for a basic choke. Where they wizzer the arm, and go to the far lapel.. then just cross you up And grabbing just one hand ont he head sets you up for an armlock. Where they will bring their knee to your shoulder.. I use that alot actualy.

DO - Posture, stand, and controll the legs..
Dont - Continue to pass once your posture and or grips are broken.

You are probably right. I just use my other arm to "block" their other arm if they try the choke. I am a noob.

You can keep one arm in and one arm out when passing. When going for the single leg guard pass, just keep your elbow in. They can't triangle you or armbar you.

b0b said:

That's the most basic of all open guard controls. It seems to be good for heavy guys who don't move their hips a lot, which makes other kinds of open guards difficult. It offers a nice transition to the triangle if you do it right, but most often I use it as the waystation to establishing spider. You can also move into a cross guard from it, and I suppose in theory you could even go to x-guard.

Opponent in your closed guard: continuously attack with submissions and sweeps. It is the constant barrage of attacks that makes for an effective closed guard. A passive guard is a guard waiting to be passed.

You are in your opponent's closed guard: Posture is key. 95% of the guard passes out there involves you gaining some form of control over the opponent's hips. As such, controlling the opponent's hips is key.

Also if you feel your guard about to be broken, put them on his hips before he actually breaks it. You control when you want to open the guard.

Back