Do's & Don't of Closed guard?

Nice thread so far. I've only been training since August and Peligro's The Essential Guard has become my Bible, Koran and Talmud.

Thanks for the tips.

DO: (you on bottom) bait by faking an armbar as the man on top tries to explode his arm out he will usually pull slightly to the side opposite of his attacked arm where you can use a scissor sweep usually very effectively /or place feet on hips and use his momentum to push him back then go in for the mount
very simple but in my experience very effective

wOg said:
Nice thread so far. I've only been training since August and Peligro's The Essential Guard has become my Bible, Koran and Talmud.

Thanks for the tips.

I'll check that out

make sure you always have 2 or more ideas to react. always have back up plans so to speak. i like to sometimes drop my head and allow them the opportunity to go for a triangle or armbar then escape and throw the leg over b4 they can lock it in. it is risky but it can also be a quick way to get side control

I do the same and it IS risky, but most of the times thats the only way I pass fast.

Actually you can underhook an arm and then stack hard into them, this prevents almost all attacks and is a good way to start a pass if you stay extra tight.

When inside guard:
DO control one hand on the chest and one on the belt/hip at all times unless you are attempting a pass. Keep your chest out
DO keep your knees spread as wide as possible and sit on your feet (not your toes) your weight centered and keep good posture while in their guard to avoid sweeps.
DO: when your opponent is attacking your arm as if to go for an armbar, once he grabs it, make your elbow touch the ground, he will not have your arm, trust me.

Back