• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Doo Ho Choi vs Cub Swanson Was a Terrible Fight; Glorified Sloppy Brawl

The time is now for you to go away, OP.

I find this interesting. Floyd Mayweather is one of, if not arguably the best boxer of all time. He puts one some of the best technical displays of prize fighting in history. Yet he is often criticized for being boring, or not going for the kill. Same was often said about GSP, arguably his MMA equivilant.

On the other hand Frye/Takayama is often credited as one of, if not the best fight in MMA history. There was no skill there. It was two guys holding each other by the back of the head with one hand, and punching away with the other. No blocking. No dodging. They did it until one of them couldnt do it anymore. It was the ultimate offering of the Just Bleed Gods.

Some of the most lauded boxing (as well as MMA) matches are ones where two guys are "fighting in a phone booth", or they go out on their shield. There is something primitive and raw that satisfies our deep down semi barbaric need for blood lust when two skilled fighters forego the technical chess match if favor of proving how tough they can be by going tit for tat, blow for blow, and pushing themselves to their absolute limit. Its not two bums in the park fighting over the cheesepaper from a discarded McDouble rapper. Its two elite fighters putting it all on the line, risking everytning when the stakes are at their highest.

Maybe its not for everyone. Maybe its not for you. But it does make for some of the most glorious moments in this spectacular pseudo sport we call MMA.

I find this interesting. Floyd Mayweather is one of, if not arguably the best boxer of all time. He puts one some of the best technical displays of prize fighting in history. Yet he is often criticized for being boring, or not going for the kill. Same was often said about GSP, arguably his MMA equivilant.

On the other hand Frye/Takayama is often credited as one of, if not the best fight in MMA history. There was no skill there. It was two guys holding each other by the back of the head with one hand, and punching away with the other. No blocking. No dodging. They did it until one of them couldnt do it anymore. It was the ultimate offering of the Just Bleed Gods.

Some of the most lauded boxing (as well as MMA) matches are ones where two guys are "fighting in a phone booth", or they go out on their shield. There is something primitive and raw that satisfies our deep down semi barbaric need for blood lust when two skilled fighters forego the technical chess match if favor of proving how tough they can be by going tit for tat, blow for blow, and pushing themselves to their absolute limit. Its not two bums in the park fighting over the cheesepaper from a discarded McDouble rapper. Its two elite fighters putting it all on the line, risking everytning when the stakes are at their highest.

Maybe its not for everyone. Maybe its not for you. But it does make for some of the most glorious moments in this spectacular pseudo sport we call MMA.
Because most fans are casuals who don't train themselves, they just want to see two people hit each other in the face and bleed. Literally and unironically Just Bleed Guys. Whereas people who do train tend to prefer to see technical fights that help them improve their own game -- and they also have the tools to appreciate what they're seeing.

Both fighters abandoned all skill and technique after no more that 2:30 of the first round. How can you give WMMA shit for being poor quality when two top 10 fighters want nothing more than to load up on haymakers for the majority of the fight? Atleast Pereira vs Letourneau had some high level grappling involved.

And people had the gall to compare this scrub with the GOAT? SMH. Conor Bless.

Wtf are you talking about? Swanson always throws bombs and Choi was throwing crisp laser strikes most the fight

Both fighters abandoned all skill and technique after no more that 2:30 of the first round. How can you give WMMA shit for being poor quality when two top 10 fighters want nothing more than to load up on haymakers for the majority of the fight? Atleast Pereira vs Letourneau had some high level grappling involved.

And people had the gall to compare this scrub with the GOAT? SMH. Conor Bless.
Hey look someone who prefers a technical stalemate. Weird!

meh.ro7434.jpg

I like to watch a brawl every now and then.

Bosse OcConnell was as sloppy as they come BUT, I loved it!

They're busy making more money in boxing.
There are a lot more guys in boxing, and only a few at that elite level. Most boxers arent making that real deal top flight money. Most of them are fighting for chump change, just like the MMA fighters.

TS is one of the most elite strikers of all time, and doesn't fight in the UFC because they don't want to accidentally kill someone.

Because most fans are casuals who don't train themselves, they just want to see two people hit each other in the face and bleed. Literally and unironically Just Bleed Guys. Whereas people who do train tend to prefer to see technical fights that help them improve their own game -- and they also have the tools to appreciate what they're seeing.
Then they should also be able to appreciate the differences that still exist between two elite fighters brawling and two chumps fighting in the ammys just throwing haymakers.

Hell, the conditioning alone to do it for 3 straight rounds is marvelous. Compare that to guys like Kimbo and Dada 5k. Thats what a less skilled poorly conditioned "slugfest" looks like.

Its not just about two random guys trading punches to the face. Its about guys who know how to punch. Guys who even on a brawl still know how to maximize their power with accuracy. Last night, they werent just throwing flailing arm punches and lunging into the empty space between them. Through it all, they actually maintained around 50% accuracy, which was on par with the other main card fights. They also proved to be durable enough to take the punishment. So as I said, there is a big difference between them and just two random guys, and a trained fighter should still be able to appreciate the difference.

Also, for what its worth, if you follow what the other pro fighters say, you will see that their peers (higj level trained fighters) also talk about how good the fight was and how much tbey enjoyed it.

I agree. Cerrone vs Brown was the superior fight. Whenever Rogan sees an intense brawl, he will call it "the best fight he has ever seen".

Choi vs Cub was an intense fight, full of twists and turns, had plenty of clean hits but it became a little too brawlish in the third round. Memorable fight though. Doo Ho Choi is awesome, and Cub is Cub.

I want to see a pro boxer with good head movement dealing with knees, kicks, small gloves, dirty boxing....

What a moronic thing to say. Plenty of mma fighters out-there with good head-movement. So let's not pretend that good head-movement is somehow a bad idea in mma. The fact of the matter is that 95% of mma fight have caveman level boxing/striking skills.

I just watched it and holy shit what a shitfest, sloppy brawl is an understatement. I get that it was exciting because it was back and forth but from a technical standpoint it was a shit fight.

Lol at this troll thread.

There are MMA fans, MMA fans who like Conor, and Conor nutthuggers. When Conor is gone, the nutthuggers will leave and stop watching MMA. :)

Criticism of a fight like this is just total hipster-mode.

"Oh, this was just a brawl, I prefer technique clinics where 10 strikes are landed per round"

We all enjoyed it, it was an amazing fight, with a showing of true grit and heart from both men.

Stop the BS.

A good fight is a good fight. Regardless of technique. 3 rounds of back and forth action,both guys being rocked and non stop entertainment is a good fight. A good technical fight is something different but to say its a 'Terrible fight' shows you either dont know how to articulate what you are trying to say or you are just dumb as fuck.
This.

I just watched it and holy shit what a shitfest, sloppy brawl is an understatement. I get that it was exciting because it was back and forth but from a technical standpoint it was a shit fight.
I've seen better technique in bar brawls.

Back