Rewatch Don't forget Sean Sherk vs. BJ Penn

I always wondered why Sherk never went for more takedowns. Yeah, Penn's defense was great, but I always thought Sherk could've tired him out with the attempts and got him to the ground that way. I think even Goldy asked it on commentary at one point, and Rogan was like "I have no idea" lol.

What's he doing with himself these days?

You know if he still has an interest in the sport?

He still loves the sport and follows it actively.

His son Teagan is following in his footsteps, as far as wrestling is concerned, and he finishes at the tops of his wrestling meets.

Sherk stayed faithful to Minnesota and works on houses.

The day before was absurd as well. I got to meet Hamill, Tito, and Lesnar at the meet and greet where they were holding the weigh-ins, and to top it off, Evan Tanner was outside the venue, talking to fans, letting them take photos with him while holding his belt. He was in such an upbeat, positive mood and was a great, albeit short chat.

That was incredibly memorable weekend, capped off by the steroid chants which filled the arena for Sherk (poor guy) and Penn basically calling off his own fight after the flying knee. The place went ape shit when Tito got Lyoto in that triangle and funnily enough when Yves Lavigne tripped moving backward during that fight.

It's light years beyond any other card I've been to whether it be in fight quality or big fight feel atmosphere.
How many tapout shirts did you see? This was peak tapout days lol

I was the best man at a wedding that night , I tapped the fight and the crew I always watch the fights with came over the next day , nobody went on the internet as not to spoil the results, everyone was so glad they didn’t because the event was amazing

He still loves the sport and follows it actively.

His son Teagan is following in his footsteps, as far as wrestling is concerned, and he finishes at the tops of his wrestling meets.

Sherk stayed faithful to Minnesota and works on houses.

That's super cool man, happy for him, on all of that!

thx

Really wish Shrek hadn't been dealing with a hip injury going into this fight. That shit shut down his career.

I think it was apparent since day 1 that Sherk lacked of finishing moves vs legit competition, in USA or Japan. Extremely game and tough fighter though
True, but it's not like he's been the only wrestler who was a decision machine. There have been dozens of them. IIRC, Sherk was a very good high school wrestler but didn't even wrestle in college. His only losses were to WW champs Hughes and GSP (who were MUCH bigger than Sherk) and prime BJ and Frankie. Very impressive for a guy with 41 fights who competed until he was 37.

IMO he belongs on a list of the best UFC fighters who never won a belt along with Hendo, Fitch, Yoel, Jacare, Ferguson (pre-Gaethje), etc.

True, but it's not like he's been the only wrestler who was a decision machine. There have been dozens of them. IIRC, Sherk was a very good high school wrestler but didn't even wrestle in college. His only losses were to WW champs Hughes and GSP (who were MUCH bigger than Sherk) and prime BJ and Frankie. Very impressive for a guy with 41 fights who competed until he was 37.

IMO he belongs on a list of the best UFC fighters who never won a belt along with Hendo, Fitch, Yoel, Jacare, Ferguson (pre-Gaethje), etc.

He did win the UFC LW tittle. Which made him justice as one of the best LWs of his generation.

I'd say Jacare is the best to never even get the chance of fighting for the UFC tittle

Reactions: mkt
He did win the UFC LW tittle. Which made him justice as one of the best LWs of his generation.

I'd say Jacare is the best to never even get the chance of fighting for the UFC tittle
I forgot that he won a belt. I believe he's still the oldest fighter to win the LW strap (he was almost 34 I think). For a long time, he was the oldest guy to hold the belt at 155 or below but Volk now has him beaten.

Watching BJ Penn humiliate fighters after he beats them, makes the end of his career so enjoyable.

Poor winner, poor loser.

The day before was absurd as well. I got to meet Hamill, Tito, and Lesnar at the meet and greet where they were holding the weigh-ins, and to top it off, Evan Tanner was outside the venue, talking to fans, letting them take photos with him while holding his belt. He was in such an upbeat, positive mood and was a great, albeit short chat.

That was incredibly memorable weekend, capped off by the steroid chants which filled the arena for Sherk (poor guy) and Penn basically calling off his own fight after the flying knee. The place went ape shit when Tito got Lyoto in that triangle and funnily enough when Yves Lavigne tripped moving backward during that fight.

It's light years beyond any other card I've been to whether it be in fight quality or big fight feel atmosphere.
Nah you only think you had a great time because you remember having a great time.

How could anyone forget that? That was as close to a "FATALITY!" finisher we've ever gotten. That was beautiful violence.

Back