Donald Cerrone is officially a "fan favorite." Here's why..

Amerikuracana

Life allows the illusion of relativity
Banned
Reaction score
First of all, everybody at the bar was cheering for "the cowboy" last night. People know who he is, and everybody where I was at was aware who he was and was pretty firmly behind him. Dude is a fan favorite. If he would not have adrenaline dumped vs Nate because of how he started in that fight, he would be on one of the best 5 year stretches at LW ever, and that includes losses to two of the top 3 guys right now.

Anyways, he's popular because he fights a lot. Also because he has some cool finishes, but even more so because he fights a lot. The UFC should take notice that part of building a star is making them seen doing what they do. Pride made stars with hardly any "promotion," but just from guys being in tournaments and staying active, even against lessor competition. I don't see why guys always have to fight a guy ranked right next to them when there are 80 guy with a decent record within a division. Keep guys busy, that as much as anything is what makes them stars. Cowboy, for a smaller weight class, is officially a star.

he could fight once or twice a year and still be fan favorite. Dude is an exciting fighter with insane skills

People like is attitude of just fighting. He's not afraid of losing his place in the rankings, he'd rather entertain the fans and fight often collecting checks while doing so. I really don't need to see him anywhere near the title picture (although he does deserve it) Give him that Bobby Green grudge match, who cares if it doesnt make sense ranking wise

He's been a fan favorite since his first Varner fight.

Since the McCollough fight in my opinion. But you're right. He's been a fan favorite and huge draw since his days in the WEC. His fight with Henderson was fight of the year in my opinion (although I thought the wrong guy got the nod) and they even put on the WEC's PPV card because they knew it would garner buyers.

Can't stand Cerrone, can understand why he would appeal to the plebs though.

I became interested in him after he picked Alvarez apart but his performance last night incredible.

Or maybe it is you that is the pleb??

This.

How could anyone be a pleb for liking a fighter who's on a tear through his division and fights to entertain the fans? Not faulting point fighters but Cerrone sees the point of MMA and that's combat, at any cost.

He also has a brand. Nicknamed "Cowboy," wears a hat to the ring, walks out to Kid Rock, has a chip on his shoulder. Smart marketing, really.

Dudes fun as hell to watch.

WAR COWMOTHAFOOKINBOY!

Back