Donald Cerrone is officially a "fan favorite." Here's why..

They can do this by keeping unknowns without hype trains off the main cards, and especially (this will give Ravden a seizure) keeping flyweights outside the Top 10 off the main card, too.

I was in a house with a lot of longtime fight fans last night. Most of them are relatively casual, but they've been buying PPV's with the bigger names for years. The flyweights came on and they immediately detached from the event, and we all began conversing about other things (chiefly how disinterested they were in the tiny guys, and even preferred watching the girls fight...save one dude who loved how active the flyweights are).

It's very noble of Dana to commit to that purity of competition, although I think he's most keenly in expansion to markets overseas with a strong combat sports history like southeast Asia, but it's doing no favors for PPV's in the States, IMO. Pure speculation, but that's the feedback I get any time I'm at a bar, house, or pretty much anywhere when a fight is on or MMA becomes the subject of discussion.

I think the UFC will always throw a couple of unknowns on the main card of a ppv, because it's their way of saying "the UFC is the show, we can put anybody here," even though that totally is not true and never will be. Either that or they really don't know who is known an who isn't.

The UFC wants 125-135 because it does not want another org to have 'elite' or the best fighters at any weight. If the UFC did not have a strong 125 division, or did not pay attention to it, another org could end up with a stronger 125lb division. That would be further proof that the UFC does not have all the best fighters in the world. In order for the UFC to run the sport they have to run all the weight classes, I think is the thinking. I understand that.

I would say the best way to build up some lighter weight stars is to have some not elite guys get 3-4 borderline squash matches a year against lessor guys who are not total scrubs. People don't know who these guys are anyway, really. Like with cerrone, get a few guys really active and seen with some wins. Eventually a couple of those guys that have been beating lessor guys will have an interesting fight with each other. You can't get away with that at lhw, but with how the guys are unknown you can at lighter weights.

Cerrone has been a fan favorite for a long time.

and it wasn't adrenaline dump against Nate. Cerrone has always had poor head movement and doesn't block his face too well.

bar chants are cool n all but the company looks at ratings and ppv numbers.

On top of everything, he's got character as well. Alot of casuals around me don't know Donald, but they know The Cowboy.

I think they teach acting at Jacksons too as he comes across as a bit, fake? Lot of that going around from them parts...

Nothing fake in accepting all those fights and taking all those opponents down. His attitude toward fighting isn't fake.

Honestly, it boggles my mind that anyone could hate him, but there's quite a few haters here.

He's one of those guys who gets noticeably better with every outing without losing his edge.

Which is pretty incredible since he's fighting 5 times a year. I've always liked him since the first time I saw him fight. It's crazy to see how far he's come since his early days in the WEC.

Cowboy's currently doing everything right. He's talking to the media all the time, he's asking for fights constantly, he's trying to please the crowd and he's looking good in every fight.

I agree. If a fighter fights at least 3-4 times a year people know him and cheer for him. If he fights 1 time then even hardcore fans forget about dudes like that.

yeah man, it's official! he wasn't a fan favourite until 182!

I like the other DC but the Cowboy thing seems like a shtick at the post fight presser compared to the UFC Embedded vids.

Post fight he all southern accent with the chew in his lip and the Budweiser bottles and cowboy hat but Embedded he seems more normal and real so, I think they teach acting at Jacksons too as he comes across as a bit, fake? Lot of that going around from them parts...

it's not like he's gonna be drinkin a bunch of beer and chewin tobacco before a fight/while still training n shit. and he's always got the hat.

In today's injury-prone fight dynamic, Cowboy is a rare breed. He always makes it to his fights. lol. And he always comes to scrap. Never coasts, or looks for a decision. He lives by the sword, or dies by it. A real warrior.

I would say one of my fav fighters at the moment without a doubt.

Back