Donald Cerrone is officially a "fan favorite." Here's why..

He is going to have to be fighting guys ranked in the 20's. He will run out of opponents. For example, he has fought 4 or 5 times since beating Ardriano Martins. Martins has fought once. I am a fan of Martins. Martins vs Khabilov next month should be a good fight.

He also has a brand. Nicknamed "Cowboy," wears a hat to the ring, walks out to Kid Rock, has a chip on his shoulder. Smart marketing, really.
Don't forget who he has a sponsor. It's no shock it's Bud.

I love cowboy because he brought three Budweisers to the press conference. Other than that I've always loved cowboy

He appeals to the Tapout/Affliction meatheads who happen to make a large percentage of the UFC fanbase.

He fights well
He fights aggressively
He fights often

That's three criteria he meets that some Champs and fan favorites can't/won't/don't

JBG Bless the Cowboy From Hell.

Agree with TS. They way to make these guys stars is have them compete regularly.

Guy has always been a fan favourite, last night just reenforced why we like him so much.

I like the other DC but the Cowboy thing seems like a shtick at the post fight presser compared to the UFC Embedded vids.

Post fight he all southern accent with the chew in his lip and the Budweiser bottles and cowboy hat but Embedded he seems more normal and real so, I think they teach acting at Jacksons too as he comes across as a bit, fake? Lot of that going around from them parts...

I like Cowboy because he is a fucking fighter and knows his role. He knows he is there to fight hard and entertain. I love it.

First of all, everybody at the bar was cheering for "the cowboy" last night. People know who he is, and everybody where I was at was aware who he was and was pretty firmly behind him. Dude is a fan favorite. If he would not have adrenaline dumped vs Nate because of how he started in that fight, he would be on one of the best 5 year stretches at LW ever, and that includes losses to two of the top 3 guys right now.

Anyways, he's popular because he fights a lot. Also because he has some cool finishes, but even more so because he fights a lot. The UFC should take notice that part of building a star is making them seen doing what they do. Pride made stars with hardly any "promotion," but just from guys being in tournaments and staying active, even against lessor competition. I don't see why guys always have to fight a guy ranked right next to them when there are 80 guy with a decent record within a division. Keep guys busy, that as much as anything is what makes them stars. Cowboy, for a smaller weight class, is officially a star.
They can do this by keeping unknowns without hype trains off the main cards, and especially (this will give Ravden a seizure) keeping flyweights outside the Top 10 off the main card, too.

I was in a house with a lot of longtime fight fans last night. Most of them are relatively casual, but they've been buying PPV's with the bigger names for years. The flyweights came on and they immediately detached from the event, and we all began conversing about other things (chiefly how disinterested they were in the tiny guys, and even preferred watching the girls fight...save one dude who loved how active the flyweights are).

It's very noble of Dana to commit to that purity of competition, although I think he's most keenly in expansion to markets overseas with a strong combat sports history like southeast Asia, but it's doing no favors for PPV's in the States, IMO. Pure speculation, but that's the feedback I get any time I'm at a bar, house, or pretty much anywhere when a fight is on or MMA becomes the subject of discussion.

Cowboy's been a favorite for a while, and it's well deserved.

If he would not have adrenaline dumped vs Nate because of how he started in that fight, he would be on one of the best 5 year stretches at LW ever, and that includes losses to two of the top 3 guys right now.

An adrenaline dump had nothing to do with it. Fighting a guy just as tall as he is with a similar reach and a stylistic nightmare, on the other hand, did. It's not often a guy who is tall for his division fights another guy who is just as tall. We saw the same kind of result with Jon Jones vs Gustafsson. There just aren't many 6'+ fighters at 155lbs.

Agreed, show up often and exciting style is a big factor but I think his life style and personality helps as well. He is doing all sorta crazy shit regularly beside fighting.

Corrone is taking over Chris Lytle's role as the people's champion. Damn I miss watching Lytle fight.

Maybe I meant "star" as much as "fan favorite." He is well known and cheered for by what I guess I would consider "casual fans" these days. "Quotation marks."

I like the other DC but the Cowboy thing seems like a shtick at the post fight presser compared to the UFC Embedded vids.

Post fight he all southern accent with the chew in his lip and the Budweiser bottles and cowboy hat but Embedded he seems more normal and real so, I think they teach acting at Jacksons too as he comes across as a bit, fake? Lot of that going around from them parts...

Sort of this.

His gimmick seems forced and a bit cringeworthy TBH. He puts on some exciting fights though.

Back