"Dominick are you having fun yet?" - Cody No Love Garbrandt

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Hardkore, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Hardkore

Hardkore Titanium Belt

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/12/...k-dominick-cruz-was-as-slow-he-was-at-ufc-207

Garbrandt, 25, said the tide began to turn after a close beginning of the fight when what he believed was a knee opened up a cut near Cruz’s left eye.

That’s when it changed right there,” Garbrandt said. “He didn’t like that blood running down his face. That’s when I said, ‘Dominick, are you having fun yet?’ And he didn’t answer me. In the first and second round, he would answer me back each time. That’s right then, I knew that he wasn’t having fun in the fight.”

Garbrandt didn’t feel like he got the Cruz people talked about at UFC 207, at least in terms of speed and quickness. The new UFC bantamweight champion, who took the belt off Cruz with a unanimous decision victory Friday night in Las Vegas, was actually pretty surprised.

“I was really just curious to see his speed, his angles,” Garbrandt said at the post-fight press conference. “Everyone believed the hype of him being … he’s The Matrix, he’s a ghost in there. He’s great. I’m not taking nothing away from him, but I was almost in shock he was as slow as he was in his movements and his angles weren’t there.”

Cody made him look slow and tired. Cruz without height and reach advantage looks pedestrian.

Haj01, Reaperman, agibmxmma and 6 others like this.
  2. sgtpepper

sgtpepper Orange Belt

I'm surprised they had Garbrandt as 5'8 because I thought he was 5'7.

Other than that, I remember Cruz still having the reach advantage and I'm certain still a height advantage by an inch.

I think it was just difficult for Cruz to utilize his physical advantages was because Cody wasn't really following him and Cody was getting in and out pretty well and thanks to his boxing background, he's good at reacting to those angles.

The height and reach advantage was still there, Cruz just lost to the better, more skilled man that night.

3. AP_RESURRECTION

AP_RESURRECTION Gold Belt

thats pretty much how it looked - i was also surprised that cody completely alpha'd dom in the striking department - i knew there was a good chance he coudl do that, but i wouldnt have bet on it

Arm Barbarian and Hardkore like this.
  4. trblesome1

trblesome1 Silver Belt

Cruz has clearly lost a step, he didn't look near as fast last night as he has in the past

It happens to everyone though, the guy is getting older and has had so many knee injuries

begely likes this.
  5. No Mas McGee

No Mas McGee Banned Banned

"Did you like that headbutt?"

Greedy Dana likes this.
  6. Pure Dust

Pure Dust Purple Belt

Cody is a much better boxer. I didnt expect him to have such good wrestling tough. He wasnt threatened by Doms takedowns at all.

Arm Barbarian likes this.
  7. Hardkore

Hardkore Titanium Belt

To be honest I thought Cody would edge him with his boxing and angles, but Cruz's elusiveness would be too much. Cody's athleticism with his boxing acumen proved to be the deciding factors.

8. Hardkore

Hardkore Titanium Belt

The head butt didn't drop him 4x in one round.

9. Hardkore

Hardkore Titanium Belt

Or maybe that Cody is that much better?

JsinLegacy and agibmxmma like this.
  10. No Mas McGee

No Mas McGee Banned Banned

and neither did dog on a string

11. Flux

Flux Blue Belt

Headbutt was to the top of Cruz head the punch did it just before that.

12. TH1RTE3N

TH1RTE3N Black Belt

Okay, I need a gif of this headbutt, b/c I thought I saw Cruz lead with the head and it mostly catching Cody. But the cut was from a punch.

agibmxmma and Dick like this.
  13. nightmancometh

nightmancometh Yellow Belt

Yeah, I thought so too. Definitely wasn't from the clash of heads. Amazing performance by Cody. I just wish he hadn't coasted so much in the 5th (can't blame him too much for that, though).

agibmxmma likes this.
  14. Cody is delusional if he thinks he fought the best version of cruz last night. Cruz was taken out of his element last night by needing to pursue the fight. The laughable fact is people thinking now that cruz has lost he can never ever beat Cody in a rematch. He will go back, analyse the footage, reassess, and come back even better. Cody's time on the top will be very short lived. He doesn't beat TJ or Cruz in the rematch.

Soak it up Cody. He'll be Alvarez like in his tenure as champ.

A-ZIK likes this.
  15. Hardkore

Hardkore Titanium Belt

You sound bitter, my friend.

16. TH1RTE3N

TH1RTE3N Black Belt

What version of Cruz did he fight then? lol He was taken out of his element because he was actually fighting someone that can box and hit him early. What makes him delusional? He beat him lol.

17. NotoriousMillions

NotoriousMillions 28-1

He's a very accomplished high school wrestler. That being said, Dom outwrestled Dillashaw who's definitely better and more athletic than Garbrandt.

His timing and speed just looked overall off, even from the first few seconds of the first round.

Pooters likes this.
  18. NotoriousMillions

NotoriousMillions 28-1

Lol...if you don't think Cruz looked off last night, even before Garbrandt even landed a punch, you've never seen a Cruz a fight, or at least knew what the fuck you were looking at.

19. DevilsLettuce

DevilsLettuce is a bit of a douchebag Banned

You - are delusional. Dom was taken out of his element by getting his chin cracked over and over because Cody wasn't falling for his retarded feigns.

20. Hardkore

Hardkore Titanium Belt

Cry some more, and give Dom a hug. Even though he's too old for you and you like younger boys.

agibmxmma likes this.