• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dog of Peace Strikes Again . . . Allah AkBARK *Running Pit Bull Thread*

Are Pit Bulls the most dangerous domestic dogs?

• Total voters
My cousin had to run away from one once

Never seen him run that fast or jumping that high when jumping over the fence

Do you agree that having any "power breed" around a young child is pretty fucking irresponsible and negligent?

Certainly, it can be.

I wouldn't leave my Cane Corso unattended with any child, even to go take a dump real quick. And my dog is highly trained having passed Shutzhund IPO 2, AKC Canine Good Citizen, and American Humane Society levels 1-5. She's not only highly trained, she's also physically exercised every few days, mentally stimulated and well fed. She's never been trained with negative reinforcement or abused. I recognize that I have a dangerous dog as a pet and I don't put her in situations that would set her up for failure.

The biggest issue with the APBT is that it's incredibly cheap to get one. My Cane Corso cost me $2500. My last APBT, a Colby, was like $40. So you have this economic barrier for some of these breeds right now that prevent casual ownership. You need to drop serious cash to get my dog. You can basically get an APBT for free. So you have owners with almost no knowledge of the breed and its needs. The APBT is a terrier, and terriers are high energy dogs. My mastiff is lazy and tires out with a half hour of exercise then she's good for the rest of the day. My APBT would need several hours of exercise a day to be tired. If you don't give an APBT the exercise they need mentally and physically you're creating a time bomb. On top of that, these owners aren't correctly training and socializing the dogs. It's irresponsible ownership.

So yeah, there's a lot of potential danger with APBT ownership. It's like keeping an AR-15 in the house. If you have one, that's fine, but you need to have proper training, respect the risks, and mitigate them properly. If you don't do that, then don't be surprised when you leave it alone with a kid and that gun goes off.

I'm not an APBT apologist. Both sides have points, but there's a lot more to the problem than "pits are the devil dog that loves to kill babies with it's locking jaws" or the equally silly opposite claim that "pits are misunderstood babies that would never harm a fly".

If your dog is well trained, properly exercised, mentally stimulated, and respected then it will be fine to have around kids. My Corso loves kids. She tolerates their abuse really well, but I also respect my Corso enough to know when she needs space or is getting tired of the attention.

It's all about respecting these creatures. My dog is a 100lb carnivore bred to fight in wars with the Roman legions, bear and bull baiting, and estate protection. To pretend like that animal couldn't harm a human is silly.

I shot one once while doing a search warrant at a drug house. Me and the Sarge went inside the Moore house on Oregon St. and were immediately set upon by a 125 lb
HUGE ass pit. I shot it twice point black with a .40 cal Glock and dude shot it twice. Did it die? lol, no just crawled over to the corner and lay down, licking it's wounds.
Turns out the family sued the city and the city ended up paying the vet bills. They took four slugs out of the thing and it LIVED!
smh, beastly.

If you raise a pet or child correctly and train it right, things like this wouldn't happen.

I've been bit by at least 7 dogs at my job, and none were pitbulls. 1 was a lab mixed and that got me the worst, the others were small dogs that I could have destroyed by kicking them if I wanted to.

The dog I like the most on my route happens to be a pitbull that's incredibly friendly Everytime I see it.

Most people that own pitbulls shouldnt

First off this poll inspired by this thread.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...in-allah-akbark.4080607/page-2#post-158710895

So are Pit Bulls the most dangerous or is the media over blowing the situation?

It seems like there is Pit Bull attack happening more than any other dog breed. The media has made it look like Pit Bulls are the most dangerous dogs out there.

Or are there other dog breeds who are more dangerous?

What say you?

Are you blaming the media? Are you saying its pitbulls v jews? omg ha ha

Certainly, it can be.

I wouldn't leave my Cane Corso unattended with any child, even to go take a dump real quick. And my dog is highly trained having passed Shutzhund IPO 2, AKC Canine Good Citizen, and American Humane Society levels 1-5. She's not only highly trained, she's also physically exercised every few days, mentally stimulated and well fed. She's never been trained with negative reinforcement or abused. I recognize that I have a dangerous dog as a pet and I don't put her in situations that would set her up for failure.

The biggest issue with the APBT is that it's incredibly cheap to get one. My Cane Corso cost me $2500. My last APBT, a Colby, was like $40. So you have this economic barrier for some of these breeds right now that prevent casual ownership. You need to drop serious cash to get my dog. You can basically get an APBT for free. So you have owners with almost no knowledge of the breed and its needs. The APBT is a terrier, and terriers are high energy dogs. My mastiff is lazy and tires out with a half hour of exercise then she's good for the rest of the day. My APBT would need several hours of exercise a day to be tired. If you don't give an APBT the exercise they need mentally and physically you're creating a time bomb. On top of that, these owners aren't correctly training and socializing the dogs. It's irresponsible ownership.

So yeah, there's a lot of potential danger with APBT ownership. It's like keeping an AR-15 in the house. If you have one, that's fine, but you need to have proper training, respect the risks, and mitigate them properly. If you don't do that, then don't be surprised when you leave it alone with a kid and that gun goes off.

I'm not an APBT apologist. Both sides have points, but there's a lot more to the problem than "pits are the devil dog that loves to kill babies with it's locking jaws" or the equally silly opposite claim that "pits are misunderstood babies that would never harm a fly".

If your dog is well trained, properly exercised, mentally stimulated, and respected then it will be fine to have around kids. My Corso loves kids. She tolerates their abuse really well, but I also respect my Corso enough to know when she needs space or is getting tired of the attention.

It's all about respecting these creatures. My dog is a 100lb carnivore bred to fight in wars with the Roman legions, bear and bull baiting, and estate protection. To pretend like that animal couldn't harm a human is silly.
Normally we get in an argument. But for once you posted a long post I completely agree with.

If every owner was like you, this would not be a problem.

The bigger problem with Pitbull mix owners these days, as much of a problem as having a douchebag tattoed slumlord owner, is having a 90lb hippies or the soccer mom owner who literally thinks "If I raise it by spoiling it, give it love and cuddles, im raising it right"

They are just clueless. You need to constantly assert yourself as the alpha pack leader with these dogs and be strong enough to restrain them. These girls have no idea the dog leading them on walks means it thinks its boss and they think its cute as heck when they beg for food at suppertime and give in by feeding them first or that they growl when you go near their favorite toy and say "ok boy, Ill leave your toy alone". They think its cute when the dog barges into the house first as soon as you open the door instead of waiting for the alpha to go first. They think they are raising it in a proper loving environment.

They also seem to think during busy workweeks they can just neglect taking the dog out because they are tired and just want to watch netflix after work that week.

And they honestly believe they can let these dogs off leash at BBQ's with other dogs around because they raised it in this "loving environment". That it is no different than a lab.

These are the ones who are shocked when their dog suddenly latches on and won't let go of another animal and they suddenly have no idea what to do because they lack the physical capability to get the dogs to unlatch and don't carry a break stick.

Joe-Biden-Laughing-Shaking-his-Head.gif

Lol, y'all hate pitbulls!

They owner should get the punishment just like if they committed the crime.

What would be the punishment if a human bit another human and caused injury? A year for first offense?

Then of course if your dog kills someone you go to jail for negligent homicide or manslaughter.

People would immediately re-evaluate their need for a big dog, especially pits.

I don't have an opinion on pit bulls overall (the ones I've come across have mostly been very friendly, though obviously the asshole ones can be dangerous), but I had a pit bull owner get smart with me once. I was walking in an apartment complex and his 'bull came straight at me, startling me, but I quickly realized it was friendly. I didn't get startled because of the breed (it wasn't even that big) but because a random dog that I don't know ran at me. Dude says "that stereotype though" really snarky as I'm petting his dog. I looked at him, probably furrowed my eyebrows as I was annoyed at his dumbass comment and I explained (paraphrased), "I don't know your dog and it came straight at me. I've been attacked by a variety of breeds." I think he quickly realized his attempt at a "gotcha" comment was fucking dumb.

Chihuahua's should be on that list but they're probably not reported because no one cares when Chihuahuas attack them.
Not exactly a hard dog to defend against. Like any little yapper dog you can just hold your foot out and let it battle your shoe, lol

I seriously don't understand pitbulls. They're not cute or anything. Most people can't even control them.

If we can't punish the owners for being born stupid by jailing them then the only other solution is to ban the breed completely. It's simple and something needs to be done because it's the poor innocent children that are suffering or in this case they end up dying as a result

Normally we get in an argument. But for once you posted a long post I completely agree with.

If every owner was like you, this would not be a problem.

The bigger problem with Pitbull mix owners these days, as much of a problem as having a douchebag tattoed slumlord owner, is having a 90lb hippies or the soccer mom owner who literally thinks "If I raise it by spoiling it, give it love and cuddles, im raising it right"

They are just clueless. You need to constantly assert yourself as the alpha pack leader with these dogs and be strong enough to restrain them. These girls have no idea the dog leading them on walks means it thinks its boss and they think its cute as heck when they beg for food at suppertime and give in by feeding them first or that they growl when you go near their favorite toy and say "ok boy, Ill leave your toy alone". They think its cute when the dog barges into the house first as soon as you open the door instead of waiting for the alpha to go first. They think they are raising it in a proper loving environment.

They also seem to think during busy workweeks they can just neglect taking the dog out because they are tired and just want to watch netflix after work that week.

And they honestly believe they can let these dogs off leash at BBQ's with other dogs around because they raised it in this "loving environment". That it is no different than a lab.

These are the ones who are shocked when their dog suddenly latches on and won't let go of another animal and they suddenly have no idea what to do because they lack the physical capability to get the dogs to unlatch and don't carry a break stick.

I'm glad we found some common ground! I know I can be combative and difficult, but I genuinely try to go off science and logic as best as possible no matter where it leads. I'm also happy to be proven wrong as long as the argument is well founded.

Yeah I see those issues all the time with dog owners. They either don't have any obedience training at all or the owner makes them suffer through abusive negative reinforcement training. Dogs aren't people and they need that hierarchy to feel secure and confident. A lot of people misunderstand the "alpha" concept of obedience too.

It's definitely a major issue. People get dogs and neglect the dog's needs. When it's a pug these negative reactions are a bother, but when it's a power breed those negative reactions can be fatal.

Owners who set their animals up for failure should be charged with reckless endangerment or manslaughter.

I don't have an opinion on pit bulls overall (the ones I've come across have mostly been very friendly, though obviously the asshole ones can be dangerous), but I had a pit bull owner get smart with me once. I was walking in an apartment complex and his 'bull came straight at me, startling me, but I quickly realized it was friendly. I didn't get startled because of the breed (it wasn't even that big) but because a random dog that I don't know ran at me. Dude says "that stereotype though" really snarky as I'm petting his dog. I looked at him, probably furrowed my eyebrows as I was annoyed at his dumbass comment and I explained (paraphrased), "I don't know your dog and it came straight at me. I've been attacked by a variety of breeds." I think he quickly realized his attempt at a "gotcha" comment was fucking dumb.

It's a real piece of shit thing to do, letting your dog run around off leash. I just don't understand that logic some people have. Even if you think your dog is friendly, maybe the other dog it runs up to isn't. Maybe someone is allergic to dogs. Maybe it gets hit by a car or runs into a child or disabled person. There's a million reasons you shouldn't let your dog run around off leash. Allowing a dog off leash should be reserved for controlled environments.

As much as I love dogs, if one runs up to me like that I'm going to be prepared to kick the shit out of it.

Stupid people should not reproduce. The pitbull was just settings things right again.
That was a very poor attempt to be funny. If humor wasn't your intention I feel very sorry for your empty life. You've obviously never had a family let alone been a parent. Shape up.

It's a real piece of shit thing to do, letting your dog run around off leash. I just don't understand that logic some people have. Even if you think your dog is friendly, maybe the other dog it runs up to isn't. Maybe someone is allergic to dogs. Maybe it gets hit by a car or runs into a child or disabled person. There's a million reasons you shouldn't let your dog run around off leash. Allowing a dog off leash should be reserved for controlled environments.

As much as I love dogs, if one runs up to me like that I'm going to be prepared to kick the shit out of it.
He was letting it go pee near his apartment so it wasn't a big deal, the snarky comment/assumption is all that annoyed me, but yeah, that can be irritating.

There's people in a different area who let their big, fluffy, whatever dog (I don't know breeds very well) stay outside unleashed some days and it's an asshole. I about decapitated that motherfucker one day. It charged me one time from across the street and that mofo is big enough that it's a serious threat. I stepped in to full power Thai kick that thing but it saw it coming and halted its charge. How they haven't gotten in trouble for that is beyond me

Back