Does un-proffesionalism discredit the sport?

DVN**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok, i like big country, he's a great guy.

But does the way big country talk about "learning this combo thing" make the sport seem low level?

I have nothing against the way he looks.

But it doesnt help that a guy that looks like him, even says stuff like he's just some bum who learned to fight.

It probably makes people who are new to the sport think that MMA is full of the tank abbotts.

It being a tv card doesnt help catch new fans.

My father in law was watching with me and he thought it was some toughman contest or something.

It should be pretty obvious to even the newbiest of newbs that Roy is a... an enigma of sorts.

It should be pretty obvious to even the newbiest of newbs that Roy is a... an enigma of sorts.

He is far from an enigma

He trains with Mayweathers uncle who trains him pretty well.

Make no mistake about Roy, he is a very well trained fighter, he may not look like he gets in shape but his boxing coach is Jeff Mayweather.

Jeff stated that he makes Roy throw over 500 punches a round and Roy has a nasty overhand.

Last edited:
I like Roy and I appreciated his antics for awhile, but to be honest at this point he doesn't need the shtick. He's a good enough, mid-tier UFC heavyweight to have a successful career.

Amusing comments made by a unique character do not discredit the sport. Constantly awarding title shots to undeserving fighters, especially those coming off of suspensions, and taking back title shots that were promised to fighters are the types of things that discredit the sport.

He is far from an enigma

He trains with Mayweathers uncle who trains him to throw those hands.

Make no mistake about Roy, he is a very well trained fighter, he may not look like he gets in shape but his boxing coach is a Mayweather, dont let Roy fool you.

I mean his personality. He's a fat guy with an odd sense of humour, there's really no population that he represents with any accuracy. Thus, most socially competent people should understand that generalizations from him to other fighters (or, ya know.. people) are probably a bad idea.

Roy Nelson is an ELITE UFC fighter. When Dana White talks about the best fighters in the world being in the UFC, he's talking about Roy Nelson!

^ True, but MMA has a background with a lot of dodgy stuff, the freak show/professional wrestling/bum fights aspect. That makes it more vulnerable as a sport.

(oh hey brown belt, nice to meet you)

Roy has always had a goofy, self-deprecating sense of humor. Don't let it fool you, he's a well-trained fighter. It's fooled a few guys that ended up on their backs wondering what happened.

^ True, but MMA has a background with a lot of dodgy stuff, the freak show/professional wrestling/bum fights aspect. That makes it more vulnerable as a sport.

Can't deny that lol. Goddam tats and mohawks (I blame Liddell :p)

'Grats on the belt!

Fighters needing to be professionals and scholars... Seems legit but I'm not sure...

Roy does have a really good ground game though, he just doesn't use it

I mean his personality. He's a fat guy with an odd sense of humour, there's really no population that he represents with any accuracy. Thus, most socially competent people should understand that generalizations from him to other fighters (or, ya know.. people) are probably a bad idea.

ROFL, okay.

no

a12a327907_pierce.jpg

He is far from an enigma

He trains with Mayweathers uncle who trains him pretty well.

Make no mistake about Roy, he is a very well trained fighter, he may not look like he gets in shape but his boxing coach is Jeff Mayweather.

Jeff stated that he makes Roy throw over 500 punches a round and how can you not like Roy, he is a fat guy who can fight. Its actually heart warming to see a guy of his shape doing well in MMA. Even though he would be a much better fighter if he did get in shape.

Being an enigma doesn't refer to his training methods. Roy's an oddball.

Amusing comments made by a unique character do not discredit the sport. Constantly awarding title shots to undeserving fighters, especially those coming off of suspensions, and taking back title shots that were promised to fighters are the types of things that discredit the sport.

Bingo-bango!

No I believe in freedom of speech. Thanks for asking.

roy nelson is the best, he can KO anyone. roy nelson will be champ in end of 2013

Roy Nelson is an ELITE UFC fighter. When Dana White talks about the best fighters in the world being in the UFC, he's talking about Roy Nelson!

Lol this was one of Goldbergs lines, I don't think Apologist meant it. Pay attention man.

Back