Does un-proffesionalism discredit the sport?

Getting a little tired of every time I log into this board seeing a "Does XXXX discredit the sport?" threads.

Do these discredit their respective sports?

So please stop with all this "detriment to the sport" nonsense because Roy is "unprofessional". Freaking stupid.

The schtick is getting old. Nelson is a talented guy but a haircut, shave and a Diet wouldn't kill him

But... you've got a JDS avatar... and JDS almost murdered Roy in the cage... I'm confused.

JDS is my favorite fighter and i think he will smash Cain and then beat Overeem then rematch Roy at end of 2013 and might lose, im serious.. i could see it happening... the 3rd round of Roy vs JDS was the best round for Roy and JDS was breathing really heavy and cut...2 more rounds like a title fight i think anything could have happened.

The schtick is getting old. Nelson is a talented guy but a haircut, shave and a Diet wouldn't kill him

He's just being himself, its been working pretty well for him so far.

Ok, i like big country, he's a great guy.

But does the way big country talk about "learning this combo thing" make the sport seem low level?

I have nothing against the way he looks.

But it doesnt help that a guy that looks like him, even says stuff like he's just some bum who learned to fight.

It probably makes people who are new to the sport think that MMA is full of the tank abbotts.

It being a tv card doesnt help catch new fans.

My father in law was watching with me and he thought it was some toughman contest or something.

No it doesn't hurt the sport. Joe Rogan does a good enough job explaining the context. Also, if your father in law thinks it's a toughman competition, he's an idiot. Also, he's clearly not a fan and his lack of interest in getting better educated on the matter suggests that he'll never be a fan.

That being said, the sport is fine. Big Country's comment was not a lack of professionalism. It was a show of good humor albeit tongue in cheek.

SMH at posts like these.

Getting a little tired of every time I log into this board seeing a "Does XXXX discredit the sport?" threads.

So please stop with all this "detriment to the sport" nonsense because Roy is "unprofessional". Freaking stupid.

Good post.

Amusing comments made by a unique character do not discredit the sport. Constantly awarding title shots to undeserving fighters, especially those coming off of suspensions, and taking back title shots that were promised to fighters are the types of things that discredit the sport.

True.

I used to think the UFC would make MMA more accepted and mainstream but 2012 pretty much killed that hope of mine.

Roy is just another character in an organization that can rightly be regarded as an entertainment first business. I'm okay with that but I think the UFC has come full circle to being a big spectacle after flirting with being a sports organization at one time.

roy is just playing on his image as the fat guy who should be looking for takedowns. he made himself seem like a fat brawler. there may have been more of an emphasis on combos from his camp lately, but he has definitely been aware of combos and just unable to comfortably use them.

obviously he was originally better at bjj but his striking has just hit a nice stride and a new plateau in the second half of his career and he's got the power to compliment it. kinda like gomi.

I know people who know nothing of mma, yet when I bring it up, they pull Roy Nelson up and tell me what a joke mma is. Looking at Roy Nelson and the way he acts and looks, if I didn't know any better, I'd probably agree with them.

Those sports have already been established.

Mma is still trying to be more mainstream.

Dont give me the "its already mainstream" crap.

It isnt, wanna know why? Because most people still dont know what it is or understand it.

And even if it is somewhat mainstream, the sport should continue to grow.

A lot of people still view the sport as redneck or skinhead cage brawlers. Roy tries to be like that too much.

Ok, i like big country, he's a great guy.

But does the way big country talk about "learning this combo thing" make the sport seem low level?

I have nothing against the way he looks.

But it doesnt help that a guy that looks like him, even says stuff like he's just some bum who learned to fight.

It probably makes people who are new to the sport think that MMA is full of the tank abbotts.

It being a tv card doesnt help catch new fans.

My father in law was watching with me and he thought it was some toughman contest or something.

I don't know, but using "language" like "un-proffesionalism" makes it difficult to take your OP very seriously.

I know people who know nothing of mma, yet when I bring it up, they pull Roy Nelson up and tell me what a joke mma is. Looking at Roy Nelson and the way he acts and looks, if I didn't know any better, I'd probably agree with them.

You talk to people who know nothing of MMA and they bring up Roy Nelson? Yeah, cause he's a huge star. The building was packed to the rafters for him tonight. :icon_lol:

It isnt, wanna know why? Because most people still dont know what it is or understand it.

A lot of people still view the sport as redneck or skinhead cage brawlers. Roy tries to be like that too much.

The sport is still growing. Even if it peaks in the US and never reaches mainstream, it will keep growing internationally. It's just like boxing. Boxing is still huge around the world, but because it no longer has the presence it once did in the US, people think it must be dead. As long as they keep expanding globally, it will keep growing. They are doing just fine, even with guys like Roy Nelson representing the sport.

Obligatory post in obligatory "Roy's too dirty to be cool" thread after Roy fight.

Bummer. Good riddance to ignorant trendies, I say. I don't care if it gets "mainstream" anyway. It's a fight sport, and it's new. It's not going to replace any major ball sports, and it'snot made for everyone to love and understand. It's a sporting version of a fistfight, the most base and primal form of competition in the world; not everyone is going to love it.

Watch your asses from the door swinging.

That's a good post, to add football to your collection

Back