Does Teofimo Lopez have the style to beat Loma?

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
title.

Only seen his last two fights. Thought the Commey fight went well. Very good counter puncher in the 1st, and then just kinda blitzed him in the 2nd.

I figure you can beat Loma if you have good counter punching,pressure the shit outta him, do good work inside and in the clinches. Why I always thought Gervonta Davis would be an interesting fight.

Does Lopez fight well enough inside to get it done?

can't say i'm much of a lopez expert, i've only seen a handful of his fights myself.

he does seem to have the physical gifts one would need to beat lomachenko. he's quick, his timing is really good, and he packs a lot of power. lomachenko seems to be hitting his ceiling as far as weight goes at 135, so anyone who is a big puncher at that weight is potentially going to be a problem for him.

however, this is lomachenko we're talking about. we've seen him against people who had looked great in previous fights, and he made them look like fools. i expect lopez to make this competitive, but i wouldn't be shocked at all if lomachenko took him to school.

Well, prizefighters are entertaiers.
--
Fastest version of Loma was when he won his second Olympic gold medal.
Nothing wrong with this: the best version of Ali too was in 1959-1967 not in 70 ies.
Again nothing wrong with this : most watchable Mike was in 1984-1988.

He certainly could, but hasn't proved enough yet to make me pick him outright here. Unfortunately this fight has been delayed.

Inou would destroy Loma

Loma is overrated af
LOL The Inoue who went life and death with an older Donaire who got totally outclassed by Rigo when his was in his prime, who Loma made quit. Loma would own Inoue.

Back to the OP, I think Loma will handle Lopez fairly comfortably. Lopez is bigger and hits harder plus he has age on side but he's a counterpuncher so he likes to react to openings that his opponents leave, Loma will be pressuring him hard. He won't give Lopez any time to set up his counters and he will force Lopez into his arena by overwhelming him with a high output. I predict that Lopez will struggle to pull the trigger against Loma.

And like OP says Lopez needs to pressure Loma, but the problem is Lopez is not a pressure fighter show he'd have to show something totally different. Lopez is a counter puncher and that style won't do shit against Loma. Shame this fight is going to be delayed.

Last edited:
Maybe. I think his timing and power might be an issue for Lomachenko. That said, he needs to be a bit more aggressive coming forward, I feel thats where Lomachenko is the weakest, when he's being backed up. He really can't do much of anything when someone puts the pressure on.
I think what the big issue for Lomachenko is though, is that he's been spoon fed some pretty soft opposition by Top Rank. It might be a bit of a shock for him to fight someone young and fresh.

I think what the big issue for Lomachenko is though, is that he's been spoon fed some pretty soft opposition by Top Rank. It might be a bit of a shock for him to fight someone young and fresh.

What an odd take. Which active fighters have fought better competition in the last 5 years?

Linares was able to time him occasionally and even sat him down, and Linares isn't a particularly big puncher, nor an especially good counter puncher (not a bad one, but Linares has always done his best work when he's the one taking initiative and punching in combination). I'm not convinced Lopez is polished enough yet (or if he'd ever be), but he is a dynamic puncher with great timing. He's more of a threat than just about anyone Lomachenko has fought at LW, I think.

idk but he hits like a mack truck

LOL The Inoue who went life and death with an older Donaire who got totally outclassed by Rigo when his was in his prime, who Loma made quit. Loma would own Inoue.
Those leaps are kinda unfair and don't tell the whole story

But p4p same size Inoue knocks Lomachenko the fuck out in violent fashion

After what Loma did to Rigo, I dont know who Loma wouldnt be a favourite over, certainly not Inoue lol.

What an odd take. Which active fighters have fought better competition in the last 5 years?
I'm not going over every single fighters resume. I mean, if you want to say that a guy who's best win is probably Pablo Cano victim Jorge Linares is fighting killers every time out, knock yourself out.

After what Loma did to Rigo, I dont know who Loma wouldnt be a favourite over, certainly not Inoue lol.
Rigondeaux was like 39 years old and moving up two weight classes.

Canelo?
Spence?
Porter?
Joshua?
probably GGG
Thurman
Gonzalez
maybe Pac

etc?
pffft.... None of those guys have beaten Roman Martinez (who's nickname is Rocky, FYI<BC1> ) or Anthony Crolla.

I'd need Loma to slip a bit before I can pick Lopez here.

Lopez looks like he has the physical tools but his style isnt really what we've seen give Loma issues. If Linares can hurt Loma, Lopez can too but he's never fought a boxer even remotely similar in class as a pro.

Back