Does Teofimo Lopez have the style to beat Loma?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by XThe GreatestX, Mar 21, 2020.

1. SandisLL

SandisLL Purple Belt

2. SandisLL

SandisLL Purple Belt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Ward
    He was amateur superstar. :)
    Did this helped him after Games?;)
    ----
    Simply americans like to value only pro boxing and dream about millions $$$ and not to read what exactly amateur background their pro superstars had.

WklySportsMemes likes this.
  3. aries

aries Silver Belt

Yeah at 126 I think Inoue would give Loma all he could handle.

4. aries

aries Silver Belt

Leonard was seen as the Golden Boy of boxing when he came into the pro ranks after getting a Gold at the Olympics. So they do take notice when it happens.Getting a Gold medal at the Olympics is a great selling point for any newly turned pro.

SandisLL likes this.
  5. Seano

Seano Hands of bone Yellow Card

Its just that amateur boxing is not relevant to this conversation or to what fighters do as pros. Some of the best amateurs are shit pro fighters or vice versa. Most people generally view an amateur career as separate from a fighters pro career.

6. Seano

BS, Lomachenko has been fighting at 135 for quite some time now. He's not giving up shit to Lopez.
    I'm really just saying Rigondeaux was not that great of a win. He's ancient for his weight class as it is and was then fighting 2 weight classes north of where he should be.
    I just think that for a guy people is saying is one of the best ever to walk into a ring, his resume is lacking.

7. Rob-G

Rob-G Green Belt

I hope as soon as this coronavirus goes to hell we get a date for this fight. It’s the signature win Lomachenko needs on his resume in my opinion. I’ll go with Lomachenko UD

8. SandisLL

SandisLL Purple Belt

Better ask any from TOP 15 promoter in person not forums, even pro boxing fourms.
    0 really serious talks about pro figthing are done in any! forums.
    -
    Tyson for example was not amateur boxing superstar, still he was surprisingly highly watchable in his amateur boxing bouts.
    -

9. Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

He's acclimated to the weight class but he's still not a natural lightweight. This isn't difficult to understand. There isn't a single top lightweight out there as small as he is in the division. That's because he's considered a natural FW or SFW while Lopez is a natural LW/JWW. Lopez himself said his days at lightweight are numbered because he's still filling out and he's already had fights at 140.

As for Loma's resume (which isn't the topic of this thread btw), he's had 15 fights. Almost nobody with that number of fights even has a signature win let alone much of a body of work. And Lopez does have clear advantages over Loma on paper like size, strength, reach, and power just to name a few. Many expect Lopez to be able to match Loma's speed as well.

10. Seano

I'm not going to dignify this preemptive excuse making. The guy who is universally considered the best lightweight in the world, who holds 3 of the world titles is at a disadvantage against another lightweight? What nonsense.

11. Kovalev's "Man Bag"

No, I said Loma is at more of a disadvantage against Lopez than Rigo was against him. You can't win an argument so all you know how to do is present strawmans and twist words. Learn how to break a fight down and you'll understand a bit better. I just gave you clear advantages Lopez will have and even forgot to mention nearly a decade in youth so there's another one.

You were just picking Lopez not long ago. Why would you be doing that if he had no advantages on paper against Loma? Stop BSing.

aries likes this.
  12. SandisLL

SandisLL Purple Belt

Even any medal at the Olympics or World Championships.

13. JayE

JayE Red Belt

Which is ridiculous. Rigondeaux was a small SBW fighting a decent sized SFW. Lomachenko is a small LW fighting a decent sized LW. Lomachenko is giving up size, but to suggest Rigondeaux gave up less against him than he will against Lopez is ridiculous.

Seano likes this.
  14. MoreKane

MoreKane Yellow Card Yellow Card

Did Loma look bad in the Campbell fight?

15. Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Is it? On paper going into that fight Rigo wasn't thought to be giving up that many advantages to Loma. Many figured Rigo was even more skilled (higher IQ/more crafty), just as fast if not faster (hands & feet), just as powerful with his left hand if not more than Loma punch-for-punch, and he had actual elite level experience as Rigo had actually been in with a P4Per in Donaire (Loma hadn't). Rigo had a bit more reach but Loma had the height advantage, so we'll call that a wash. The cardio advantage could've gone either way or it was a wash since Loma is a worker but Rigo's management is extremely conservative, economical and efficient. Durability, neither had been stopped but that would've likely gone to Loma as a result of him being the larger man and Rigo having been knocked down multiple times (though he recovered quickly). Size? Clearly Loma. Strength? Again, that would've likely gone to the larger man which was Loma. Defense? Rigo was the least hit fighter in the sport at the time the fight was made (level of opposition aside). Youth was significant and Loma had the clear advantage in that category. On paper that's mainly size, strength, and youth that accounted for Loma's clear advantages.

16. JayE

JayE Red Belt

I was making the argument in terms of size, because the discussion was about Lomachenko fighting a bigger guy at LW. Lomachenko was appreciably bigger than Rigondeaux. The difference was very clearly more significant than it is between Lomachenko and Lopez.

Seano likes this.
  17. Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Loma's clearly larger in size as far as his frame and was 7 pounds heavier than Rigo the day of the fight but on fight day he only weighed 137 pounds. That's what you would expect a medium sized Featherweight (126 pounder) to weigh on fight night. Donaire and Loma are the same size and when Donaire fought Rigo he was actually heavier than Loma was against Rigo but clearly nowhere near as lean.

18. JayE

JayE Red Belt

Nonito Donaire and Lomachenko are the same size? So Lomachenko could fight comfortably at BW? What source do you have putting Donaire at 137 pounds in the ring against Rigondeaux? I've never seen him listed that heavy in the ring, even when he ate his way up to FW (when he weighed 133).

19. Kovalev's "Man Bag"

Yes, they're essentially the same size. There's a recent photo of both standing next to each other that was featured in a BoxingScene article recently. I'll try and find it. I didn't say Donaire was 137 pounds against Rigo I said Loma was that against Rigo. Pedro Diaz (Rigo's trainer at the time) said Donaire was even heavier than Loma when he fought Rigo.

Edit. From Pedro Diaz
    Rigondeaux's Coach Warns: Size Won't Save Lomachenko

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    aries likes this.
  20. aries

aries Silver Belt

Nice find. Interesting to see how heavy Donaire was. Just makes it even more impressive the number Loma did on Rigo.

Kovalev's "Man Bag" likes this.