Does Lyoto Machida has a better TDD than Anderson Silva?

fedemma

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
2012-08-27-lyotomachida&andersonsilva_jpg_630x360_q85.jpg

This came to my mind because I was thinking about a possible matchup between Machida and Weidman if they both beat their opponents.

Mark Mu​

I believe so.
Better octagon movement, faster defensive reflexes when it comes to takedowns.
Not perfect, as demonstrated against Phil.

They both have very good TDD, contrary to popular belief, but Machida's is undoubtedly better. He has been more effective defending against larger guys, when he and Anderson are roughly the same size.

How can this be a serious question?

If you've watched both of them fight, it should be incredibly obvious what the answer is.

How is this even debatable? Only op level wrestlers were able to take Machida down (Davis, Jones)

Anderson was taken down by Travis Lutter.

Can he has cheezburger though? Silva has cheezburger.

Definitely. Silva is very confident off of his back though.

anderson doesnt have much of a sprawl, hes good at avoiding the takedown entirely, but most of the time, once they get in he just pulls guard

machida is extremely difficult at every stage of the takedown

Machida certainly has better TDD than Anderson, and is an overall better wrestler. It's not just elusiveness and movement, he is actually a better wrestler technically. With that said, Anderson is no slouch either. His TDD has improved drastically over the years, and was able to stuff guys like Weidman, Sonnen and Henderson. However, I feel he can be taken down by well set up shots easier than Machida can.

How is this even debatable? Only op level wrestlers were able to take Machida down (Davis, Jones)

Anderson was taken down by Travis Lutter.

If you're gonna bring up fights that far back you may wanna mention how Sokoudjou took Machida down twice as well. Machida's got better TDD because he has improved his TDD game moreso than Anderson.

The thing is that I don't think Anderson minds being taken down. He's so cocky he thinks he will win reguardless if he gets taken down or not.

Back