Does Jared have a real chance at touching the title now?

If Strickland successfully defends against DDP Jared is the only one left that would make sense for a TS. Do you guys think Cannon could beat Strickland and get the strap if this happens? I think if Jared puts on that heavy pressure style he did with Vettori, he really does have a good chance at beating Strickland as heavy pressure generally beats styles like his. I also think he would have a fair shot with beating DDP if he ends up with the title as well. Your thoughts guys?

Edit: Yeah I know (thanks to some of you reminding me) they fought already but Sean got better since then, but as did Cannon.
sean got better? it was one year ago and he's only had 2 fights. One against a can who is a known gasser and the surprise against isreal.

his fight with Stricks sucked

his fight with Adesanya sucked

cut him

That's why good matchmaking is important.
Let's pretend Sean beats DDP. Cannonier is a ready made #1 contender for his next fight. After that you have a mix of options like Izzy, Whittaker vs Costa winner (if it actually happens). You could match up Allen, Khamzat, Vettori, Usman (If he stays at MW). One defense doesn't equate to clearing out the division. Just my opinion.
You're taking what I said about no one left too literally. Like I said, I meant there is no one left AT THIS MOMENT, who would be an option to fight for a title after DDP other than Jared. Obviously after DDP and Jared get their shots more options will open up but I'm talking about the options as of now and a month from now when Strickland has his first title defense.

sean got better? it was one year ago and he's only had 2 fights. One against a can who is a known gasser and the surprise against isreal.
You do understand that improvement happens in the gym, not in the cage, right? One can improve a lot in a year if you put the effort in the gym. The Sean Strickland that got KO'ed by Poatan would not have beat Izzy.

his fight with Stricks sucked

his fight with Adesanya sucked

cut him
Styles make fights. Cannon's fight with Vettori was much more entertaining than those 2 so it isn't cause he's boring.

Khamzat leapfrogs him
Doubtful. Khamzat is 1-2 fights away from TS still IMO.

Last edited:
Yeah I think he does. His last performance vs Vettori was his best yet after a shaky first round. Would be interested in him vs the winner of Strickland/Du Plessis.

His performance against Marvin was spectacular, do doubt, but I can't see him replicating the success he found with Strickland, who is one of the most defensively sound boxing-wise in the division, while Marvin is basically a rock-em sock-em robot who gambles on his chin holding.

Though Jared won the first fight, Xtreme Couture is a great team for game-planning/fight analytics, so I expect Sean to have a few new tricks up his sleeve if they fight again.

Maybe Jared can get back to his leg-kicking game, though Sean might manage to mitigate them with that weird thai march he does, like in the izzy fight. lol

It would be a hell of a fight. Cannonier seems to be a tough style to beat since there aren't so many wrestlers at the top of the division (not that he has shown grappling weaknesses in a while).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back