Does former MWs like Palhares having success at WW prove that MWs are underrated?

Does Nate the Great being a top 5 MW for years but not being able to crack the WW top 15 prove that MW is overrated.

Size matters. The sport has evolved and the days of smaller better trained fighters beating larger fighters is largely a thing of the past.

Against an equal, or nearly equal opponent, size and strength are a huge weapon and makes a difference these days to a larger degree than it did when a lot of the larger fighters were less honed machines..

Lol reading some post here it's like if Palhares just cleaned the whole WW division

palhares will go the way of marquardt.. great WW debut. then the rest is lackluster

If Pierce didn't initiate grappling he would have won. Hell, Pierce threw one combination and had Palharis hurt and running away.

Does Nate the Great being a top 5 MW for years but not being able to crack the WW top 15 prove that MW is overrated.

It proves the WW division is strong, which is what everyone is already saying about the WW division. Ellenberger knocked Marquardt silly, but there are still far more former MWs having success at WW than there are getting KO'd like Marquardt. MW division is anything but overrated since everyone has already been claiming it is a weak division. If people are saying it is weak, how can it be overrated? :icon_lol: & if it is weak, why are former MWs having so much success at what is considered the strongest division in MMA. Again, this takes nothing away from the WW division, it just asks the simple question, is the MW division underrated?

Same question can be raised with MW: Bisping, Munoz, Stann (formerly anyways), Sonnen, Belfort, Machida, I think Costa fought at LHW didn't he?, Belcher, Boetsch, I'm sure there's a few more I'm missing.

Yep. People who take single instances and look for proof of anything in the grand scheme of things are borderline retarded.

I'm not taking a single instance, Palhares is becoming one of many former MWs who are finding success at WW.

& you would be surprised what a single instance can prove in the grand scheme of things. Talk to a detective.

I'm not taking a single instance, Palhares is becoming one of many former MWs who are finding success at WW.

& you would be surprised what a single instance can prove in the grand scheme of things. Talk to a detective.

ok so you are saying there is a trend. Is there? Does it stand out from other patterns in other divisions with people dropping down?

There needs to be something unusual in order to be even suggestive.

You are trying to establish a pattern, not follow a trail of evidence to a crime. Single instances are useless in determining patterns.

Has always been. Haven't you heard the latest news? LHW is the worst division ever.

This is what happens when you have a dominant champion. And by dominant I mean fuckin dominant, not decisioner.

This. Even after three years the comments about how LHW was a shark tank before Jones came in are still fresh in mind.

Unlike the no name LHWs who dropped down and found success at WW, the MWs who are dropping down to WW were top ten MWs.
Nate, Kampmann, Maia, Lombard, and even Palhares all were top ten MWs at one point.

Yep. People who take single instances and look for proof of anything in the grand scheme of things are borderline retarded.

Lots of mw's who drop have looked pretty good.

R.P is just a beast, but not sure how well he'd do in later rounds with all that muscle

Mike Pierce isn't an elite 170. Get back to me when Rousimar beats one of the top guys. He has always looked good vs guys outside of the top 10. He had a huge bandwagon back in like 2011 because of this. The same thing will happen at 170 when he fights one of the better guys.

A lot of places had him ranked within the Top 10 at WW so don't start with that crap.

Exactly. So let's wait and see how his career plays out a tad more at WW before we jumped to any irrational conclusions. I think that's probably a good idea.

I like how you complete ignored everything I said after that. Lets just ignore who Palhares beat in his first fight at MW and his first fight at WW.

I don't think I made any irrational conclusions. I said Maia and Lawler are already contenders, which they are. I said Palhares can possibly become a contender, which isn't irrational IMO because Mike Pierce is a strong WW and good enough to take a former contender and current contender to a split decision, Palhares jsut beat him in less than a minute. & Lombard beat Palhares, So what is this irrational conclusion you are referring too?

MW was definately underrated, but that doesn't prove that MW>WW

1. size matters, a lot

2. The MW's who have moved down and done well at WW were a. already succesful at MW, it's not like they were bums and b. a lot of the guys who lost (IE: Kos and Fitch) were already pretty far past their primes when they lost

3. There have been many WW's to move up to MW and be succesful (including Anderson himself)

Back