• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does Chimaev really have a bad gas tank? This fight proves otherwise

Shay Brennan

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
chimaev vs burns .png Notice how Chimaev's output increases by the round. And also his strikes landed also increases.
Overall, he attmpted over 200 strikes in this 3 round fight. Is that really a trait of badly conditioned fighter?

This is at WW, where he was drained by the weightcut.

Anyway, I'm excited for his next fight? If not for a belt, then I'd like to see Chimaev vs Vettori/Canonier

View attachment 1025197 Notice how Chimaev's output increases by the round. And also his strikes landed also increases.
Overall, he attmpted over 200 strikes in this 3 round fight. Is that really a trait of badly conditioned fighter?

Anyway, I'm excited for his next fight? If not for a belt, then I'd like to see Chimaev vs Vettori/Canonier
His cardio is not problem. He breaks under pressure, thats his main problem...ask people which sparred him.

His cardio isn't awful but its not good either. He was able to fight three rounds, two of those rounds high paced against Burns because it was mainly striking. In the Usman fight he went too hard in the grappling round one, slamming him repeatedly. Its mainly that he has bad energy management and needs to pace himself better.

His cardio might also be worse at MW due to the bulk but I guess we'll see in his next fight.

His cardio is not problem. He breaks under pressure, thats his main problem...ask people which sparred him.
Like who?
I've heard more than 5 of his sparring partners talk about him in the media but they've all praised him.
Naturally the Allstar Gym members love him (Gus, Ilir, Volkan, Till etc)
but he's not been dissed by outside guys like Fiziev, Strickland and Jiri either.

Strickland:
"He was fun. We had good f***ing wars. He's the kind of guy that, as a training partner, he fits the bill for me. He doesn't stop, he trains f***ing hard"
" He's another guy that, if your fighting him, it has to be to the death. You can't go in there thinking, I'm gonna point fight you and win. No you have to go in there like 'one of us is going to f***ing die'. If you don't have that mindset he's going to f***ing steamroll you,"

Jiri Prozachka responded after Khamzat said he beat Jiri in sparring many times:
"They can say whatever they want," Prozachka said. "It's not right to speak about all these things because it's preparation and training. What happened, happened." https://www.si.com/fannation/mma/news/jiri-prochazka-chimaev-ufc-sparring

Last edited:
His problem is more not managing his gas tank and fighting emotional rather than calculated. Doesnt mean it cant change or it will stop him from winning title but he still has to grow as far as fighter iq. Stats dont tell you what your eyes tell you always.

I seem to recall he slowed down vs Usman.

Also, there is more than numbers. I remember his striking getting increasingly sloppy in rounds 2 & 3 vs Burns.

Generally elite strikers learn to not swing for the fences with every strike, Khamzat seemed to use a lot of effort and muscle instead of clean crisp technique, straight punches, timing. He is a beast but that brute force based approach is a good way to drain the energy

Doesn't mean he won't win fights but he has never gone 5 rounds and has seemed to lose steam in 3 rounders.

Gilbert was actually gassed himself. He was successfully throwing the same punch arms down from the hip and finding Khamzats bobbly head every time. Like literally kept landing the same punch on Lhamxats Ronda striking stance.

Khamzat was tired and gassed Burns was peeling him off him in any attempts to grab hold of him or take him down. Also output of two guys tired and throwing isn’t the same. Khamzats arm punching and Gilbert with his hands down chucking the same punch.

TS you’re confusing cardio and heart in that fight. When your technique starts looking closer to Roy Nelson’s than it did in round 1 it’s a sign. Both guys had heart and kept throwing by the conditioning didn’t look great.

He definitely was getting sloppy, throwing his body forward, stumbling around and his punches had nothing on them (more pawing than punching) at that point and his grappling was a non threat. His heart showed however and he kept stumbling forward swinging.

Last edited:
But he looked worse at MW.

Sure, the first round was great (10-8 from all judges!)
But he was obviously so gassed he gave away round2 by barely doing anything.

I was thinking he could lose the fight in round 3 when Kamaru got going. And then he looked super tired in the corner at the end.
One judge had Kamaru winning both round2 and round 3.

Everyone wondered what two more rounds of that fight would've looked like

his last fight vs usman proved he doesn't have 5 rounds in him. We need to see that fight again, 5 rounds. UFC 300 baby.

Khamzat has no idea how to pace himself and burns himself out, it's amateurish.

Like who?
All I heard in the media is positive
Not just the Allstar crew (Gus, Ilir, Volkan, Till etc) but also outside guys like Fiziev, Strickland and Jiri

Strickland:
"He was fun. We had good f***ing wars. He's the kind of guy that, as a training partner, he fits the bill for me. He doesn't stop, he trains f***ing hard"
" He's another guy that, if your fighting him, it has to be to the death. You can't go in there thinking, I'm gonna point fight you and win. No you have to go in there like 'one of us is going to f***ing die'. If you don't have that mindset he's going to f***ing steamroll you,"

Jiri Prozachka responded after Khamzat said he beat Jiri in sparring many times:
"They can say whatever they want," Prozachka said. "It's not right to speak about all these things because it's preparation and training. What happened, happened." https://www.si.com/fannation/mma/news/jiri-prochazka-chimaev-ufc-sparring

There was multiple fighters which had opportunity to spar with Khamzat in Stockholm and i heard some of them talk about their sparrings with him.

BTW Jiri will not talk badly about anyone because thats how Jiri is, but backstory behind their sparring is shady... - Khamzat was unknown WW at the time and Jiri was in Stockholm to help Gustafsson. Jiri went easy because he didnt want to hurt someone who is fighting in WW...but Khamzat is not smartest one and went all in and cracked Jiri's rib (Khamzat proudly shared this story after Jiri became champion.)...sadly he didnt share whole story, because he got served afterwards...

One more funny fact is that Jiri recently called out Khamzat after Khamzat said that he wants to try out LHW...Khamzat declined.

Back