• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does being an MMA fan give you an innate advantage in street fights?

Even if you never trained at all? I think it does. I've never hit the mat or sparred with anyone, but I've shadow boxed and shadow grappled at home a few times, trying out the coolest UFC/WWE techniques. Obviously I would be mismatched against professional fighters, but I have to imagine understanding fighting and the techniques involved to the extent that I do would give me at least some of an advantage over an untrained normie.

What are your thoughts?
For sure. I've watched Van Damme movies & can now do the splits. Have watched Ninja movies & can now vanish in a puff of smoke.

Takes a few joints to make the smoke though..

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F7407e7be-023d-4b06-87ef-d83c41220deb_1858x802.png

No, but being a sherdogger does.

Just touch em with teh jab then fill the room with uppercuts.

Basics, really.

<{cuts}>
While I am a big fan of upper cuts, I prefer the following combo: left jab - straight right - left hook - right upper cut using good footwork and proper leverage.

Even if you never trained at all? I think it does. I've never hit the mat or sparred with anyone, but I've shadow boxed and shadow grappled at home a few times, trying out the coolest UFC/WWE techniques. Obviously I would be mismatched against professional fighters, but I have to imagine understanding fighting and the techniques involved to the extent that I do would give me at least some of an advantage over an untrained normie.

What are your thoughts?

Lol no! To be a better fighter you need to learn and ‘train/practice’ what you’ve learned, just like any skill or sport. If anything most fights fans that have never fought, have completely unrealistic expectations. Things like thinking they can eat a clean hard shot to the chin without taking a short nap, because their favourite fighter does. Mentality, composure and conditioning is incredibly important in any fight

There’s also lots of incredibly skilled fighters out there that are not pros. And you generally won’t know who they are unless you cross them

Last edited:

What are your thoughts?
The irony is that every untrained person has the exact mindset as the OP, which is a massive overestimation of their actual skill level and a complete ignorance of how actual fights play out in practice.

But it's okay, because he watches UFC in the weekend and regurlarly does 'shadow grappling'.

Last edited:
I have not done anything but watch UFC. But I think it needs a lot of sparring to get used to fighting and avoid getting hit in an encounter. Boxing and footwork would be a big help I suppose.

What are your thoughts?
To an extent, sure. I remember years ago wrestling around with a friend at a party and I slapped a triangle on him. I had never trained BJJ (or any grappling) a day in my life and it still worked. I knew it from watching UFC.

A very slight advantage, understanding the concept of mount could win the day , a lot of street fights look like a monkey fucking a football when they hit the ground .
This very very slight advantage would be easily surpassed by someone with 2 months of actual Bjj training

What are your thoughts?

Yes. You are a god in the streets. Just watching something once a week or so definitely provides you adequate skills to deal with a street fight.

No OP it won't help without the reps, but nonetheless I'm as lethal as a squishy banana these days for one reason. If I get clipped in the wrong spot on my head with any force by accident while rolling I'm liable to go night night or very close to it. I can remember a few years when I got clipped good and I realized how much more dizzy and "rocked" I was than ever before in my life. I thought well, that was weird, didn't think too much about it. Few months go by and I got clipped again, head was ringing, super dizzy, and I was like damn, father time has come calling. So, know I now if I was to get in a real fight (I'm avoiding that mega hard) and I get clipped on the noggin, I'm in trouble. I'm soon to be 53. I'll be that old dude you see on youtube short falling over like a petrified tree.

As a serious answer yes, but most likely very small. Your mirror neurons will probably help you develop something at least and then knowledge of trying to stay calm, maybe some defensive knowledge like not stupidly leaning your head back trying to avoid punches. Overall I'd rather have watched 14 years of fights than never at all. But I would highly recommend not pretending you know what you're doing and posturing if you get into a confrontation.

Yes and no,

Yes - you realise one punch isn't a fight and soccer fans probably think one punch can KO everyone

No - you need experience to see how fast and inaccurate it can be hitting walls, the Octagon is a wide open space

Back