"Do you want it?"

Javier Mendez was way way to0 frantic in there. He sounded very worried. Compare that to Jackson and Winklejohn. They are calm and give the advice their fighter needs

This is what i'm talking about. Jackson and winklejohn know their fighter mentally. they know WHEN to motivate him, and WHEN they should be amped or calm. Mendez did not do much other than put anxiety in DC. Just my opinion

I don't think it would have altered the outcome... but yea, during the fight, I was thinking, "DC has the worst corner advice in the world." When they were telling him to secure a takedown... when he needed a knockout and hadn't had ANY takedown success all night.

They did give him advice but they opened up with "Do you want it?".

They were probably thinking saying that would motivate him but DC's answer was "I'm Trying" and it caught them off guard.

I broke out laughing when this happened, that's when I knew that Bones had broke him

I don't think it would have altered the outcome... but yea, during the fight, I was thinking, "DC has the worst corner advice in the world." When they were telling him to secure a takedown... when he needed a knockout and hadn't had ANY takedown success all night.

and If you want him to secure the takedown, give him some advice on changing levels or finishing his combo with it. Cormier was trying but to no avail the entire fight

First off, I should say that yes I was going for Cormier, and yes Jones did a fantastic job of controlling the range, pace, and ultimately using cormiers game plan against him by using the cage to his advantage.... BUT the purpose of this thread is to see everyones opinion on Cormiers corner.

- Is it just me or is the continual "do you want it" between rounds in Cormiers corner (AKA) just plain stupid?

- Not to take away from Jones' dominant performance, but seriously, give the guy some technical advice... just saying

Javier Mendez is a shtty coach.

Every fighter is different. I can't speak from experience, because I don't work with fighters or trainers, but sometimes "do you want it?" is what you need to hear. If a guy is doing the right things technically and intensity is the only issue, I guess lighting a fire under a guy's ass is better than giving him the same technical advice over and over. Especially if the fighter in question has "gone to sleep", they're not gonna really respond to technical advice anyway.

Cormier broke, plain as day. We saw Jon take punishment from Gustafsson at UFC 165 and come back strong, that is (part of the reason) why he is champion and DC is not.

Cormier was MOST EFFECTIVE with his hands. Coaches failed to impart this to DC... instead, they tell him to go for an early TD (heading into the 5th).

If a guy is doing the right things technically and intensity is the only issue, I guess lighting a fire under a guy's ass is better than giving him the same technical advice over and over.

I can't disagree with you, but the key thing is he wasn't performing technically. he is an olympian for christ sake, and he was being pushed against the cage, which im sure was the exact gameplan Cormier wanted to do, to grind Jones out. Lighting a fire under a guys ass, who isn't winning in any aspect, can have a serious downfall.

The worst corner in MMA is BJ Penn's. Those **** sucking yes-men need to go get swallowed up in a fucking tidal wave in Hawaii.

Cormier was MOST EFFECTIVE with his hands. Coaches failed to impart this to DC... instead, they tell him to go for an early TD (heading into the 5th).

Those uppercuts were pretty nice. Its a shame that Jones was able to seperate and controll the clinch for the majority of the fight.

First off, I should say that yes I was going for Cormier, and yes Jones did a fantastic job of controlling the range, pace, and ultimately using cormiers game plan against him by using the cage to his advantage.... BUT the purpose of this thread is to see everyones opinion on Cormiers corner.

- Is it just me or is the continual "do you want it" between rounds in Cormiers corner (AKA) just plain stupid?

- Not to take away from Jones' dominant performance, but seriously, give the guy some technical advice... just saying

they thought he was breaking, and he was.... them asking that of him made him come out fighting in the fifth

didnt see anything wrong with what they said, and Im one of Javs biggest haters

This is true, but the reality is Cormier did fine for the first three rounds, but then his age started to show.

Cormier was performing well, technically. The problem is that he needed to adjust his game plan from takedowns/grinding to full-on dirty boxing while letting his hands go more. He had more success with that than anything else. He didn't need more motivation. He needed better advice. The wrestling might've even worked better had they told him to stop attempting upper body take downs and go for the legs sooner. However, he needed to be told to put his pride aside and win with the mistakes that Jones was making as opposed to how he wanted to win the fight.

Worst corner though? Nah. That still goes to BJ Penn's corner during the rematch with Frankie Edgar with classics such as "Go get that c*cksucker!" and "F*ck his speed!"

Last edited:
He almost didn't want it after round 1. Decided to want it again after round 2. Said screw this wanting it stuff about halfway through round 4. Then decided to want it one last time as horn was sounding in round 5.

Cormier was performing well, technically.

Im not a wrestler by trade, but isn't a double underhook way more advantageous than staying in the over/under. Jones was opening up with solid elbows from that over/under. would have liked to see cormier wrap up those underhooks before the 5th round

What I didn't understand was that he was having a lot of success with the uppercuts in the clinch. Why advise him to get a takedown in the 5th when you think he's going to have to KO him to win?

Jones adapted to the uppercuts. Every time they got in the clinch, Jones grabbed DC's wrist to prevent the uppercuts.

Back