Do you want a meritocracy?

remind me again, what was done for the poor/elderly before the New Deal and Great Society? Did we collapse?

Have any of you been to a real poverty stricken, third world nation? Notice how nobody whines and either just accepts life or tries to improve somehow? Notice how they also don't kill themselves over being dumped by a girl and other petty shit?

Half our country is on food stamps, unemployment, SS or medicaid/child medical.

None of you think that's a problem?
It's a huge problem.

And it will be a bigger problem when the govt runs out of other people's money.

Those were also different times, clearly i meant before the actual Depression. But education wasn't compulsory back then, virtually nobody was college educated, we had just industrialized not that long before that, etc...

I don't see it that way, i have to actually work and earn keep to survive, not like those on unemployment, food stamps, TANF, cash aid, etc....

But to answer your question, i have 2 side jobs i do currently that earn me just as much money as my federal employment, and anytime before 2009...

Of course you don't see it that way. Seeing it that way robs you of the moral high ground and would make you see some of your comments as the uninformed comments that I see them as

So it's been 6 years since you actually relied on the free market to make a living and have chosen to collect that government check to keep the lights on.

If you have enough time for two side jobs that pay as much as your federal employment, you're being overpaid. Please stop mooching off me.
1) f you
2) the jobs don't take much time, they're high paying is all.

Of course you don't see it that way. Seeing it that way robs you of the moral high ground and would make you see some of your comments as the uninformed comments that I see them as

So it's been 6 years since you actually relied on the free market to make a living and have chosen to collect that government check to keep the lights on.
I'm employed by the federal gov, i'm not collecting checks like a welfare recipient. but sure

You're heading into JVS territory now, putting words in my mouth and changing the focus of the government. This isn't Plato's Republic, that's not gonna fly

The moral high ground is for those that work, vs those that do not and reap off those that do. I work. End of story. You're arguing pts i'm not making, have no idea why

But education wasn't compulsory back then, virtually nobody was college educated, we had just industrialized not that long before that, etc...
Compulsory k-12 education is possible via social welfare. College education is, for many, possible via social welfare.

lol, Gunther can crushing itt, exposing poor fuckers left and right.

Well I hope you are American and rich. Because everybody should be like you.

Multiple kids in college with full PhDs
Retiring at 60 and living the sweet life with full benefits
No unforseen diseases
Travelling to multiple countries yearly

I bet you just have it goooodie

our pension is only 1%, it's essentially nothing, i'm not a civil servant, i work for the Marine Corps.

So a useless job artificially created by the gubbamint to keep people employed. Might as well be on welfare. Usefull jobs (and skills) get good salaries in the private sector. You are basically a welfare bum

not everyone pays into it, in fact most dont as they don't own property.....

That's just the state's way (through Reserved powers of the Constitution) to fund education, along w/ block grants from the government.

You're heading into JVS territory now, putting words in my mouth and changing the focus of the government. This isn't Plato's Republic, that's not gonna fly

The moral high ground is for those that work, vs those that do not and reap off those that do. I work. End of story. You're arguing pts i'm not making, have no idea why

I'm not arguing your points. I'm saying that you don't work in the free market. Then I'm saying that you don't have to earn a living like regular people. Then I'm following that up by saying that you're not in much of a position to comment on what poor people can/can't do in the free market.

In a similar vein, I'm saying that you collect a government check to pay your bills. That I, a tax payer, am supporting you in the same way that I'm supporting some welfare mom. I, the tax payer, don't see much of a difference between you and the welfare mom. I'm paying you to do one thing. I'm paying her to do something else.

Of course those are not the points you're arguing. Those points are not favorable to you. They are my points that I'm arguing.

...and if you don't need your government check to pay your bills, stop stealing from me.

So a useless job artificially created by the gubbamint to keep people employed. Might as well be on welfare. Usefull jobs (and skills) get good salaries in the private sector. You are basically a welfare bum
You don't know what i do, so how do you know it's useless? it requires a Masters, and there's only 4 of us on this base for 10000+ Servicemembers. I actually have one of the most important jobs on this entire base, but sure. Good call

not everyone pays into it, in fact most dont as they don't own property.....

That's just the state's way (through Reserved powers of the Constitution) to fund education, along w/ block grants from the government.
Lol, again.

Why are you in threads arguing about topics when you're ignorant about the very topic you're passionate about?

Back